cheapest ferry crossing to france (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi Guys, We are planning a 5 week trip through France later this year, looked at the coct of a ferry, Brittany Ferries quoted £700 for a 28 foot motorhome with 2 passangers, phew a tad steep we thought.
As we don`t mind which port we arrive at or the time of crossing can you guys suggest a cheaper alternative.
Our Motorhome is on 24 feet long but we have a Motor bike rack on the back.

Regards Rob and Chris.

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
I have used Norfolkline, booked crossings seperately not return, usually around £40 each way Dover to Dunkerque.

On a different note, how religiously due the operators check van lengths? My van is 6.3 metres, was hoping to book as less than 6m , has anyone any experience of this?

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
What l have done a few times it Dover Calais out Bilbao Portsmouth back makes a nice round trip and saves a couple of hundred on fares thats in a 30ft Brave Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Dover to Calais or Dunkerque will be the cheapest option, you can get quotes and book on-line. If you are a member of CC or C&CC they give discounted fares.
We have never been measured when using the ferry, you will probably get away with a bit on the length of your van, but i would not recommend pushing your luck with an obvious amount.

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
If you have caravan club membership they have an offer with norfolk line Dover-Dunkirk:

Offers for travel outward on Sundays, returning Fridays - any sailing for just £37* for car and caravan. Motorhome length now up to 8m without supplement!

I picked half term week next month, direct it quoted £84 return, via CC site it quoted few pence over £69. Using the same CC quote form P&O Dover/Calais best quote was £145

Upvote 0

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
We booked for July Mon 12th 08.30 Dover / Calais, Returning 25th 07,05
Bargain at £38.94 Return. with Sea france 26`Motorhome. :thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brittany Ferries quoted £700 for a 28 foot motorhome with 2 passangers,
Regards Rob and Chris.

Was that for your own private ship ?

Dover Calais - more like £100 return. Sometimes quite a bit less especially if you travel very late / very early. Just keep plugging at the web sites particularly Sea France and P&O.

Upvote 0

lost-a-spanner

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Port Ste Foy et Ponchapt
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Aye-up...L D are doing "cheapies 2 from Boulogne to Dover at present..... Something like £33 each way for my Hymer. Careful on the dodgy length as they can get stroppy and charge you excess or even will not take you on the sailing booked and no refund as you've broken the contract.... Its happened and with things tightening on their budgets could well be done..... Why do "the Brits" like to fiddle ????????????????

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I have used Norfolkline, booked crossings seperately not return, usually around £40 each way Dover to Dunkerque.

On a different note, how religiously due the operators check van lengths? My van is 6.3 metres, was hoping to book as less than 6m , has anyone any experience of this?
:ROFLMAO:Hi we were measured last time at Dover booked 6m and the van is 6m but made us the ferry had to catch a later one by the way I use (AFerry) always do a compare quoted £44 return for Jan to March CC Norfolk line £58 return guess which one I booked replies on the back of a £20 note please :ROFLMAO:
Brian and Marion

Upvote 0

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Never take things at face value, just got a July/Aug quote from Norfolk lines web site for van & 2 & dog £360! each way!!, log out tried again £42 and £57 .

Upvote 0

bobble

Free Member
Mar 23, 2009
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
I've had an email from Seafrance today offering a discount code ( EBFBVP ) and when I checked it against my existing booking ( out on 1st June & back on 1st July ) it reduced the cost from £38 return to £34 . :thumb:

Upvote 0

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
Thanks for that Bobble, it appears that they do not charge the £30 supplement for dogs as other companies do:Doh:

Upvote 0

kevandmarg

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Colne, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just booked Seafrance through C&CC 5th June return 26th June £63-50 return for 6.3 metre MH. Could have got cheaper if I'd booked in December when offer was £38 return!

Kev

Upvote 0

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Rob & Chris,
Like yourselves we are off to France this year (June)
Sorry we are very lazy so no early/late crossings, using mid-day timings on the tunnel and carrying our hound £166 return with the benefit of the hound with us in the vehicle.
Which ever way you travel, enjoy.
::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, £46 going out in June up to 8 metres with Norfolkline.
Dont know what date you are returning,but I would say about the same money comming back.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
brittany ferries

Was that for your own private ship ?

Dover Calais - more like £100 return. Sometimes quite a bit less especially if you travel very late / very early. Just keep plugging at the web sites particularly Sea France and P&O.

Hi,
No that was Portsmouth to Caen.

Will shop around so far Norfolk line have come up as the cheapest, Don`t see the point in trying to get away with a shorter van, think the motor bike rack will draw attention.
Looking at going out on the 12 June.

Regards Rob and Chris

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
P'mouth - Caen is possibly still the most expensive route to cross the channel that has ever been known to mankind LOL

Try a look at P&O's own website for Dover-Calais/Boulogne, most we've ever paid was around £70 - ok ours is shorter than yours BUT - if you turn up a bit early they will usually let you on the earlier one FOC (they are sposed to only do that free if difference in prices is a tenner or less, but frankly providing there is room on the earlier one, they usually let you quite happily for nowt. Ditto on the return.)

They do seem to be a lot more flexible than other operators, and we've been going to France at least twice a year (4 times last year LOL) in cars with or without trailers, on motorbikes and latterly in the m'home. I mean, we usually opt for the cheapest 'short' route but wouldn't normally bother considering the Norfolk route to save a fiver because usually we have to more or less pass Calais to get where we are going. If not, then fine.

It has often actually been more expensive!

Upvote 0

kent mike

Free Member
Dec 29, 2009
mid kent
Funster No
MH
autotrial 696g
Exp
6 years
kent mike

Hi Rob/Chris---we joined a month ago --we have a Cheyenne 696g 2006---collected it Oct---after our 4th day out in Nov we could not get any hot water when using gas ( heating still worked O K ) Red light came on next Green light on Gas dial on the electronics above the door---Would you know the problem---Regards MIKE/KAY

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,
No that was Portsmouth to Caen.

, Don`t see the point in trying to get away with a shorter van, think the motor bike rack will draw attention.

Regards Rob and Chris

Still a monstrous price - sort of price I've had investigating Bilbao. Even with the greater distance to Spain, Dover/Calais was more cost effective.

Costs are a moving target now with the fluctuations in fuel prices. The essential is to buy in French supermarkets not the motorways. Massive saving.

"Get away with" I know we all try it at times but it is basically stealing. Mind you, since the days of Drake, that is what put the great in GB, must be in our blood.

Upvote 0

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
For those for whom quality of service is more important than just getting the cheapest price, Brittany Ferries offers a wide range of crossings and crossing times. Their prices are honest. Having looked at LD Lines prices many times when booking with BF, it has been clear that they can actually be more expensive for anything other than a car and two passengers. And they will be the first to charge an excess if you have a vehicle that varies from the booked details. BF are not always the most expensive.

For anyone who makes two return crossings or more per year, joining the Brittany Ferries Travel Club makes great savings. We have done about 6 return crossings over the past twelve months and have saved hundreds of pounds. For a start we get a free cabin during day crossings, in addition to a discounted fare, and when we book a cabin for night crossings, we get a good discount in the Restaurant (better than many land-based restaurants on the Pont Aven and Bretagne) and almost free breakfast with the allowance given.

And today they announced a new addition to the fleet - the Cap Finisterre. She will be doing the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route, which will make a very good timetable of ships on that route. Slightly shorter sea crossing than Portsmouth-Caen/Ouistreham and not much further by road when going south via Brittany towards Bordeaux.

Many people are very critical of the apparently high prices charged for channel crossings. What must be remembered is that they provide a year-round service. At this time of year the ferries are practically empty, yet the ships are fully crewed, catering is still provided and the fuel consumption is hardly reduced. Yet they charge a lot less outside the high season, which is the best time to travel. The service cannot be compared to, say, Ryanair type operations. Minimal concern for passengers other than to ensure that they can get the cheapest possible tickets (provided you book at the right time). Brittany Ferries don't really discount fares booked in advance. So many of their passengers are regulars like us, who don't book months or even weeks in advance. Try booking a cabin on a night sailing with LD Lines at a week's notice. No chance. The lorry drivers have them all!:Angry:

But if you can find cheap sailings are don't care about the conditions (and are happy to be one of the many "dossers" on board) then the best of luck with finding a bargain.:Smile:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Sounds rather like another MP fidling his expenses!!

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Booked today with direct ferries (Sea France) 21' MH Dover to Calais on 6 May at 11pm return. £50.

Upvote 0

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
All these cheap ferries making me jealous. Ireland to anywhere extortionate! Car to France in summer €800+ mind you it is a mini cruise of 16-19 hrs but still! I can remember coming back from Germany using Rotterdam- Hull route and the cabin was included in the fare not so to France, you would think its the least they could do!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back