Camping Clubs (1 Viewer)

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
As you know, next summer we're going to travel to England.
We can see that there are two important camping clubs: The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravanning Club.
What do you think about them? We want to join one of them, what kind of advantages can we get, discounts, offers...?
Do you think we can get some discount on ferries prices from Spain if we join ?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
We can see that there are two important camping clubs: The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravanning Club.
What do you think about them? We want to join one of them, what kind of advantages can we get, discounts, offers...?

I'm in both. Personally, I think the better bet would be the Caravan Club, not cos I think they give better service, but cos I think they have more sites, both large Club sites and CL's.
Both Clubs offer insurance discounts (tho you'll need a UK address to qualify).
As far as ferry discount go, my cousin now lives in France and had allowed his C.C membership to expire. He checked with them before his last visit over here with his caravan (which he took with him and registered over there) and they allowed him to join using his French address and also gave hime a superb discount on the Bilbao - Portsmouth route. Now, whether or not they made an exception becasue he had been a member for donkeys years when he lived here in the UK, I dont know, but it wouldn't do any harm for you to ring and ask 'em.

Last edited:

The vagabond

Free Member
Mar 6, 2009
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hello,
Like Zaskar we are also members of both clubs, if I had to choose one it would be the Caravan Club for the same reasons as Zaskar. I have no knowledge of any travel discounts that you would be entitled to. Enjoy your visit.........(Bring some warm clothes.....even in the summer)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are in both, the CClub we find are generally better quality but can be very formal but being in both gives a greater choice of locations

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We are in both, the CClub we find are generally better quality but can be very formal but being in both gives a greater choice of locations

Agree with above, but might be worth trying to decide where you want to go, then looking at their web sites to see sites available, as one club might be better than the other for where you mean to go, and that could save you one fee. You can always join on the spot if you change your mind.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Another vote for the Caravan Club here. We are members and have used their CL network a lot last year & found them to be very good quality & great value. :Smile:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
hi. have been with cc for 27yrs no regrets.would agree with above posts.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We are also a member of both but as with the other posters I would favour the Caravan Club.
We always book our ferry crossings with them, but include 7 Camping cheques( which is the minimum purchase) they cost £14 each and include a night camping for a family on sites that are listed on their website ( not caravan clubs)
With the purchase of the cheques you get ITX fares, which have a bigger discount.
We usually find that it works out that the camping cheques are free, and they are valid for 2 years if you do not use them on your UK holiday.
The staff on the booking site are very helpfull, just ask their advice, hope you enjoy your trip. - Sue

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
England

If you come into Plymouth from Spain there is a private site on the outskirts called Riverside. Depending on when you arrive, (I don't spend too much time at home) I give free conducted tours of Plymouth so if you mail me perhaps we can meet up.:thumb:
June I will be in N France and September in Holland

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All the starry eyed posters above have neglected to point out the biggest problem to you.

Most sites are booked up when you need them.

What happens is that inconsiderate people book now for the whole year just in case they have time to go on holiday. If they can't be bothered then there is an empty pitch that you would love to be on but is officially booked. The club loses the money but the person who booked the pitch pays nothing.

So they can provide good services but don't just expect to phone up and ask for a pitch next week. If you are lucky you can phone up on the day and you may get a cancellation.

There are many places as well as CC and CC&C sites.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Join the Caravan Club and use their CL's. They are on Farms mainly and only allow 5 vans. Costs are from £3 per night up to £12-14 depending on facilities per night. You have to join to access the CL's on the website. The Caravan and camping club lets you search theirs without joining so if you cant find a CC CL then call a CC&C site and if they ask if your members which they dont always just say no but your thinking of joining and they will let you on anyway.

Also www.ukcampsite.co.uk is a good source and will show CL's CS's and many other sites. You can search by area and map on there as well.

BD

OP
OP
L

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
If you come into Plymouth from Spain there is a private site on the outskirts called Riverside. Depending on when you arrive, (I don't spend too much time at home) I give free conducted tours of Plymouth so if you mail me perhaps we can meet up.:thumb:
June I will be in N France and September in Holland

Thank you very much. We'll come into Portsmouth the 30th june.:cry::cry::cry:

Yoli

OP
OP
L

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
Thank you very much. We'll come into Portsmouth the 30th june.:cry::cry::cry:

Yoli

We are also a member of both but as with the other posters I would favour the Caravan Club.
We always book our ferry crossings with them, but include 7 Camping cheques( which is the minimum purchase) they cost £14 each and include a night camping for a family on sites that are listed on their website ( not caravan clubs)
With the purchase of the cheques you get ITX fares, which have a bigger discount.
We usually find that it works out that the camping cheques are free, and they are valid for 2 years if you do not use them on your UK holiday.
The staff on the booking site are very helpfull, just ask their advice, hope you enjoy your trip. - Sue

Thank you, we know Camping Cheque, we have used them several times. Eduardo Gutierrez the manager of Camping Cheque at Spain and owner of Camping El Astral at Tordesillas, near Salamanca is a good friend of us.:thumb::thumb:
Good bye.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We are members of both - mainly for the CLs - at 27ft many sites turn their noses up and when you mention its a 5'er some seem to think that we hail from the planet Zog and don't want aliens on their site :Eeek: Mainly have both as we find areas seem to be predominately one club or the other on the CL front so need both for good coverage. If we had to pick one i think we would stay with the C&CC who generally seem to have a happier breed of wardens and more forgiving on the extra foot over the 26ft rule - also use C&CC for recovery with RAC

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Land Rover

Hi been members of CCC 2 years, but recently joined the Land Rover CCC use same sites as CCC but only £15.00 for a weekend!!

Enjoy your trip to England, it.s cold at the moment, but you will get a warm welcome from the folk on the best forum for Motorhomers.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
One other advantage of joining the Caravan Club is that they send you out a Great Days Out book. In it are loads of discounts for attractions across the UK. There are vouchers in the book or you can print them out. I reckon we saved over £100 last year. For example Beaulieu National Motor Museum two for the price of one at £15.50 each. Brodick Castle 2 for one £11 and loads of others.

New book is out 26 Jan as are new vouchers on the website.

Cheers
BD

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back