inverter or 12v whats the difference? (1 Viewer)

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi all having trawled through the threads it seems aparent that most seem to go for a 12v tv. Having searched around i have narrowed my choice down to a few Tv sets one of which is appears to be an ac supply which i can use with an inverter. The inverter would also come in handy for other appliances aswell. My question is what is the downside of using an inverter? will it drain the battery more quickly.
thanks.

The vagabond

Free Member
Mar 6, 2009
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi,
Using an inverter will consume power faster than running the same appliance direct from 12V. Another thing to bear in mind is that not all 230V appliances will run off an inverter. My lap top power supply actualy exploded as a result of running off an inverter. Having said all that, inverters are extremely useful devises to have.

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Thanks 12v it is then.
All the 12v sets i have seen so far seem quite bulky and only carry a 12month warrenty so i guess cheap and chearfull.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
invertors are extremely useful but are also inefficient.

most are only around 80 to 90 % efficient so for every 10 amp needed to power an appliance the invertor will use around 11 amps of battery power, the extra being lost as heat.
if its left turned on it will still use power even if nothing is plugged in.

for an LCD tv and digi/sat box you ideally need a 150watt invertor so it doesnt get too hot.
the bigger the invertor, the bigger the wires feeding it...a 1000w invertor will probably have wires thicker than the starter motor cables on your van.
because of this the invertor needs to be pretty close to the battery...further from the battery and you need even thicker wires.
i have a 600w invertor and the cables are as thick as a cigarette and 40cm long

as vagabond said a lot of sensitive equipment (laptops etc) wont run on a standard, modified sinewave invertor so for those items you will probably need a much more expensive pure sinewave version.

The vagabond

Free Member
Mar 6, 2009
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don't know what size TV you are intending to buy but we have owned several over the years, the best by far has been our current one which is made by a company that go by the name of Roadstar. It was recommended to us by several truck drivers, cheap it was not, bulky it is but we get fantastic pictures with just the set top aerial in most places. They used to be available in Currys.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Got a NIKKAI TV off ebay, same as the one they sell in Maplins, for around £50 3 years ago, and if I don't tell you we have had no problems with it it should go for another 3 years. :ROFLMAO:

Bugger it's bound to give up next week now. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks 12v it is then.
All the 12v sets i have seen so far seem quite bulky and only carry a 12month warrenty so i guess cheap and chearfull.

looking through the posts im sure you've gathered a 230v tv with a 'black box' in the power lead is just a 12v tv.....most smaller, 15"/17"/19", are 12v through the 230v transformer box.

buy a plug to fit the tv's power socket, make up a lead with the plug, and bin the 'black box' lead.

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
thanks all,
i will give it a go hopefully keep the kids happy whilst on the move.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Unfortunately there are very few, if any, flat panel TV's made now with optional 12v plug in supply.

I cant get any at all for my wholesale business, all 240v AC and they do Samsung, Hitatchi, Toshiba and other well known brands. Humax have stopped making TV's as well now.

Peter

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
looking through the posts im sure you've gathered a 230v tv with a 'black box' in the power lead is just a 12v tv.....most smaller, 15"/17"/19", are 12v through the 230v transformer box.

buy a plug to fit the tv's power socket, make up a lead with the plug, and bin the 'black box' lead.

.....and some of us (like me:thumb:) go for 12 volt to 12 volt smoothing widgets, Amperor do one, piece of mind.

Like he said above some, not all, tellys are actually 12 volt via 'the brick' but they tend not to advertise it. Best bet is wander around you local electrical place/s and look at the back. Cable goes of to a brick and can be unplugged then have a look at the socket on the telly and odds on it'll say 12V (DC).
We got one, after someone on here recommended, a Kenmark 19", very nice and not dear really, Comet or Currys, can't remember which. Bricks somewhere in it's wrapper, not needed, along with it's leg as I nailed it to the cupboard.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My question is what is the downside of using an inverter? will it drain the battery more quickly.
thanks.

Very little downside apart from the added wiring. The slight extra power isn't going to worry you.

The big question is: cheap and cheerful inverter that might cause problems with sensitive equipment or expensive sinewave inverter that produces just what comes out of your house sockets. Your choice.

A possible problem with a TV - top view/bottom view. We've just bought a Samsung for home, as we sit down the picture noticeably dims. It's obviously made for a low coffee table not high up to suit a kitchen. This would be a disaster on the wall of a MH. Staggeringly good picture otherwise.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks all,
i will give it a go hopefully keep the kids happy whilst on the move.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!

to run the tv while 'on the move' it will need a voltage stabilizer.....

you're vans alternator can produce upto 15v and the tv cant stand a voltage that high.

this is the type i use.....another £40 but what cost a new tv everytime you start the engine.

VOLTAGE STABILIZER

Deleted User
Thanks 12v it is then.

we have an avtec tv runs on 240v or 12v we only ever use it on 12v and have no need for an inverter. Tv plays cd's dvd' has an analogue and digital tuner, gives an excellent picture. Only downside is cost about £380

spongy

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
we have an avtec tv runs on 240v or 12v we only ever use it on 12v and have no need for an inverter. Tv plays cd's dvd' has an analogue and digital tuner, gives an excellent picture. Only downside is cost about £380

spongy

do you run your avtex with a stabilizer whilst on the move?
regards

Spireman

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Chesterfield Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our 17" flat screen including Freeview and a DVD was £129.95 from Asda last year. I would have to go and look to be sure but I think the make is Beir(?) It has a plug/ transformer which plugs into a socket marked 12v. This got dumped, and we run it on an Amperor voltage stabiliser unit.
I have seen very similar units in Tesco, recently, but with a different manufacturers name---
Picture quality is great,sound quality not bad, tuning is stupidly easy, downside is I reckon it pulls around 60w.
John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if using a voltage stab, one thing to look for is the type of power socket.
amporor have a good selection but dont cover them all.
my last tv had a cicular, din type plug with 4 irregular offset pins....couldnt get a plug anywhere.

as a last resort you can cut the plug off the black box and use that.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
12v TV/DVD

We have a MEOS 12v/24v 15inch TV/DVD - see link below.
It works fine on 12 volt and we have used our 150 watt Inverter on it as well with no problems.
This is one awesome TV as it has:
Analogue TV
Digital TV
DVD Player, which supports DIVX, so computer discs play in it
Computer link, we use our netbook on it
Best of all, well for the woman in your life, it has a card reader/recorder. You can set it up like Sky and record programmes while you are out. No excuse now not to go to the pub while Emmerdale is on.
Although on the high side at £199 it is still cheap by other TV prices.
Picks up really good, picture good, though the field of vision is quite narrow compared with expensive models. We are happy with it. Link here:
Link Removed

Graham & Jean

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back