High Sided Overcabs + Stability (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I am still deliberating over which next motorhome to buy, but I am leaning towards a Euramobil 580LS Profila.
My only concern is that it is all 'slab-sided' including the enormous overcab pod, plus it has a double floor which further raises the sides of the van.

My question is how are such vans affected by side winds?

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I have an Elnagh that does have a large overhang (not sure difference in relation to what your considering) however,i have not found the size to be much of an issue and have driven in some windy conditions, obviously yes it does catch side winds but I must admit since having it not to the extent I was expecting.

I have considered having air suspension fitted whcih I understand stabilises the MH but as yet I haven't found it that critical to warrant the expense.

Elbagh is quite high and does not have the lower build and wider axle of some (as Elnagh is a bit of a budget MH I guess although very good excellent winterising) and I do not find the stability an issue I tend to drive at around 65mph on motorways. Yes you will feel the trucks etc but not to a critical extent and certainly so far has not detracted from the enjoyment.

Sorry if I have waffled a bit but hope it helps

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My question is how are such vans affected by side winds?

I've never seen one blown over.

I think it feels very much worse than it is and I've never felt out of control in gusting winds. The usual comment is "Thank god we aren't on the bike".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
No problems to report with ours.
Sometimes in strong winds you get a blast if a lorry goes past the other way but you would get that in any vehicle.
We have air suspension but not dabbled with it yet because it works as it is.
:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got one of the larger ones myself. Not as big as a tag but about as big as you can go without !!
Been all over the place in some fairly heavy winds and never once had a problem
The only thing I have ever suffered is the FEELING I was vulnerable.. but it was def 100% nothing more than self doubt as I asked woman after the gusts died down if it had concerened her..
The reply?

Had WHAT concerned her !! Kinda sums it up methinks :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back