Changing ISP (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I want to change my ISP (talk talk are changing my tiscali contract and I do not like them), anyone know an ISP that offers free or cheep webspace as part of their deal.

Ralph

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I want to change my ISP (talk talk are changing my tiscali contract and I do not like them), anyone know an ISP that offers free or cheep webspace as part of their deal.

Ralph

Don't let web space sway you, five quid host does it all for a fiver, but you need your domain registered elsewhere.

We are with Tiscali/Talk Talk, what have you spotted that I haven't - yet ? We pay about £30 a month for ISP plus phones. I'm always interested in better deals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Don't let web space sway you, five quid host does it all for a fiver, but you need your domain registered elsewhere.

We are with Tiscali/Talk Talk, what have you spotted that I haven't - yet ? We pay about £30 a month for ISP plus phones. I'm always interested in better deals.

I currently pay about £11 for unlimited broadband next month they want £14.99

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I currently pay about £11 for unlimited broadband next month they want £14.99

I assume you then pay BT on top of that, if in fact you still have a phone landline.

We are BT landline or nothing here, no cable options.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello Ralph,

We changed from BT to cable when Comcast originally came to Acklam. Now have phone & broadband package for £23 a month plus call charges. Never been tempted to change because we had a heck of a lot of trouble with BT before we changed.

Broadband was a bit slow earlier this year but they sorted that out by giving us a new modem.

Graham

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have been with Talktalk for 3 years now £21.99 per month gets phone, all calls to uk landlines and 33 international countries and unlimited broadband. Also included is 15mb webspace free. I have not had any problems with TT and thinkl that they represent good value. However I have heard that there customer service leaves something to be desired if you have a problem.

Regards

Lunarman

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Sorry chaps but what is "web space"

Jim

:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry chaps but what is "web space"

Jim

This forum has to be stored somewhere - that is an example of web space. In this case it's important enough for Jim to have his own computer to store it.

If you wanted madbluemad.co.uk you'd have to store it somewhere - web space or server or hosting are the names used. You would not want the expense of your own computer so you would by space off the likes of 5 quid host who for a fiver a year give you loads of on line web space so you can publish your own web site.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
...anyone know an ISP that offers free or cheep webspace as part of their deal. Ralph
This website might be useful to you: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/list.shtml
You don't say what you want to do with your webspace.
If you are looking to host a website, the amnount of space you need will be very small compared to what is offered. A typical website will fit in 10Mb.
If you are looking for storage space then their are a lot of free offers which can be more use than just the space. Flikr for photos, keepandshare for general filesharing, wordpress for blogs etc. All free.
Happy hunting.
Patrick

Myrddin

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
Penllergaer, near Swansea
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
16 years
If you want website space this site gives first rate servuce, i have used then for several years and they would not be more helpfull Link Removed They also provide nomain names and email addresses at very reasonable annual charges.

Myrddin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Ralph

NOW I see what you are on about, got the letter - the *&&^^^ds have just announced that out of the goodness of their own hearts, with tears in their eyes, they are generously going to raise our package price from a base price of £12+ to £18+ a month.

I am moved to tears by their generosity.

Daughter has just moved to PlusNet, now she makes a canny Scot look like the last of the big spenders so I'm off to investigate.

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
I have been with Talktalk for 3 years now £21.99 per month gets phone, all calls to uk landlines and 33 international countries and unlimited broadband. Also included is 15mb webspace free. I have not had any problems with TT and thinkl that they represent good value. However I have heard that there customer service leaves something to be desired if you have a problem.

Regards

Lunarman

I used to be with BT( as I worked for them) but changed to Tiscali back in 2001 when I lived in Bournemouth as they had a better package. I then moved to Cornwall in 2006 and after waiting 6 weeks to NOT have my Broadband service transferred but still paying for the privelege I returned to BT and was connected within 2 days.

However good as there service was the costs were stupid, I changed in 2008 to Talktalk and have been happy ever since with the good discounts they give. I did have a fault on the Broadband for a couple of days but that was sorted with a couple of phone calls.
I will be staying with them

Brian

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I used to be with BT( as I worked for them) but changed to Tiscali back in 2001 when I lived in Bournemouth as they had a better package. I then moved to Cornwall in 2006 and after waiting 6 weeks to NOT have my Broadband service transferred but still paying for the privelege I returned to BT and was connected within 2 days.

However good as there service was the costs were stupid, I changed in 2008 to Talktalk and have been happy ever since with the good discounts they give. I did have a fault on the Broadband for a couple of days but that was sorted with a couple of phone calls.
I will be staying with them

Brian

Think I will stay with them and just pay the extra couple of quid, its just not worth the hassle.

net-traveller

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
Funster No
Got my letter this morning as well.

Been with Tiscali some time as found good value particularly as local exchange didn't support high speed broadband (max 2.5Mb) so wasn't paying over the odds. Also had unlimited downloads.

Added phone line rental couple of years ago for total cost of £14.99 (vat 17.5%).

TalkTalk want to charge £18.48 per month over an 18 month contract for 8Gb speed with a 40Gb download limit. Used www.samknows.com but cannot find exchange limits and not convinced that exchange can handle high speed.

Using comparison sites it seems that most packages are now limiting downloads so very little choice. The surprising thing is that TT have high customer satisfaction ratings - 80%.
When did that happen?

Got until mid-Feb to make the decision so will continue to research the options. I do feel it's a bit rich seeing as TT suggested that nothing would change with the acquistion of Tiscali.

:Confused:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Added phone line rental couple of years ago for total cost of £14.99 (vat 17.5%).

TalkTalk want to charge £18.48 per month over an 18 month contract for 8Gb speed with a 40Gb download limit.

That's what we are on but 'er indoors always pushes it to £20+, well you know how women talk.

Now they are cutting broadband from unlimited and upping the price. £18.48 plus VAT ( I assume ) = £21.71. Nice little earner for them.

Plusnet do not seem significantly better.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Got my letter this morning as well.

Been with Tiscali some time as found good value particularly as local exchange didn't support high speed broadband (max 2.5Mb) so wasn't paying over the odds. Also had unlimited downloads.

TalkTalk want to charge £18.48 per month over an 18 month contract for 8Gb speed with a 40Gb download limit. Used www.samknows.com but cannot find exchange limits and not convinced that exchange can handle high speed.

Using comparison sites it seems that most packages are now limiting downloads so very little choice. The surprising thing is that TT have high customer satisfaction ratings - 80%.
When did that happen?

Got until mid-Feb to make the decision so will continue to research the options. I do feel it's a bit rich seeing as TT suggested that nothing would change with the acquistion of Tiscali.

As far as I can see, you do not have to agree to the new contract but the cost will go up anyway but without the gift voucher, so presumably you will still get unlimited use.

net-traveller

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
Funster No
Nope.
If I don't upgrade my package by 15 Feb it will be done for me so no chance of hanging on to unlimited downloads.
The £20 Amazon gift voucher has to be used by 30 April 2010 but there is the choice of getting the first 2 months half price and forgoing the voucher.

As for £18.48 - as far as I'm aware that does include vat @ 17.5%

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As for £18.48 - as far as I'm aware that does include vat @ 17.5%

£15.72, that's a bit more acceptable because they are throwing in weekday evening calls as an extra.

And 40G a month, that's a lot, could be 40 hours of full resolution video, not sure how much iPlayer, probably a year's FUN so maybe like Ralph, I'll just let it run.

I must say, I looked long and hard and could not find any clues if it was VAT inclusive.

MME

Free Member
Aug 19, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
C Class 542
Exp
6 Years
Hi everyone,
I have been with Tiscali for about ten years paying £14.95 per month with unlimited broadband and free calls to landlines. Unlike BT the line was free. Following the change to Talk Talk they informed that I had been undercharged and increased the monthly amount to £19.56 including VAT.
Heart Internet have provided an excellent web hosting service, so when they launch broadband in this area I will probably change, although I still consider the present TT package is good value.
John.
Link Removed

net-traveller

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
Funster No
Having given it some thought and compiled a list of questions I rang the upgrade line, it's an 0800 so free to me, and went through it all.

Price is inclusive of Vat.

Takes 5 - 10 days to process with 10 days cooling off period.

Added 0870 & 0845 numbers free of charge, use evenings and weekends only.

Took the 2 months half price offer.

Broadband speed is up to 8Mb regardless of what your exchange will allow.

Download limit is a legal requirement these days but 40Gb should be way good enough. He checked my average usage while we talked and I can agree that.

If anyone has any other question then give them a ring. Very helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back