Internal garage door - DIY (1 Viewer)

Wawawa

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We're tempted to add an internal door from the habitation area into the garage beneath our bed

What recommendations can anyone share on tackling this as a DIY job ?

I've already checked for cables, ducting etc and have a clear run where we could place this.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
Carried out a similar exercise on our previous mh, pretty straightforward, as you say check for wiring etc and as suggested check panel thickness.
Our panels were 9mm, plenty thick. Thetford hatches are available, details at http://www.thetford-europe.com/web/show/id=26111/langid=42
The cutout you remove can be reduced to fit the hatch or alternatively as we did if the white hatches do not suit your colour scheme marine hatches are available in a creme?off white colour.
For us it was by far the greatest improvement to the vehicle.
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Should have added this link which gives you an idea of the marine hatches, have dealt with this company and found the service excellent. Link Removed

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
one very important requirement.....

measure twice, cut once.

you only get one chance to get it right.:thumb:

Agreed but then I always cut slightly oversize and trim down or, cut a template.:thumb:

Why are things seldom 90 degrees....:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if this is not too late remember to cut the panel out starting on the edge as the panel you cut out will make the inner for your door :thumb: Do not drill a hole in the middle of the door and saw outwards as I once saw a so called professional do on a customers van :Eeek::ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Not imposible and as said pretty straight forward. I would only ask if you have been in contact with the Birmingham company that do it all the time to add windows? Similar process and might just be as cheap as getting it wrong.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back