Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
My husband and I, both retired, bought our first motorhome last year. It was a Hymer Swing with only two rings to cook on and no lounging sort of area. Due to the dog having puppies and various things last year, we only managed to get away for about 5 weeks in total. However, we have now traded in the Hymer and have a Commodore Buccaneer, on a Ford Transit base, (never seen one of these before or since) and plan on going to France and perhaps Germany this year. I do know about Aires but understand it is not safe to park in them on the Autoroutes. Since we are pretty much on a budget, does anybody have any tips about wild camping and so on. Naturally, we don't want to be robbed or attached or anything. We will go over on the ferry at night since it is cheaper then. Does anyone know if you have to pay extra for the dog on the ferry and will she have to stay in the camper while we are sailing or is she allowed to get out for a walk. She has had her rabies vaccination so that will be ok.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
My husband and I, both retired, bought our first motorhome last year. It was a Hymer Swing with only two rings to cook on and no lounging sort of area. Due to the dog having puppies and various things last year, we only managed to get away for about 5 weeks in total. However, we have now traded in the Hymer and have a Commodore Buccaneer, on a Ford Transit base, (never seen one of these before or since) and plan on going to France and perhaps Germany this year. I do know about Aires but understand it is not safe to park in them on the Autoroutes. Since we are pretty much on a budget, does anybody have any tips about wild camping and so on. Naturally, we don't want to be robbed or attached or anything. We will go over on the ferry at night since it is cheaper then. Does anyone know if you have to pay extra for the dog on the ferry and will she have to stay in the camper while we are sailing or is she allowed to get out for a walk. She has had her rabies vaccination so that will be ok.

try looking on these sites about your dog

Link Removed

http://direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TravellingAbroad/BeforeYouTravel/DG_4000019

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
this is what our vet in France charged my friend in England for the return trip March / April 2009

30 euros for the flea and tick treatment (that was for a pack of three so you had two treatments left to use for future trips
5 euros for the worm tablets
12 euros for the consultation and filling in the passport stamping and signing

Grand Total of 47 euros

Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Aires we use them all the time as we live in France....YES keep off motorway Aires that is a must if you are sleeping.....but all the rest seem fine....I would say just make sure you are not on your own on a aire if you are a bit worried........you pay very little for the site and a lot of them are free although some charge 2 euro per night some 3 up to about 6 euros a night depends where you are, water some are free some charge up to 3 euro for water that is for 100 litres some on a timer of about 10 to 15 mins.....electric some are free and some could be up to 2 or 3 euros for 1 hour for topping up your battery.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Enjoy your holiday

And if possible shop in the village where the Aires are...... Bread, Cheese,bottle of Wine

There are some very beautiful Aires in some beautiful places and beautiful villages free ones with free electric and water

On many aires the bread van / boulangerie comes on site in the morning with fresh bread

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
we have two Labs and we travel eurotunnel when we come back to england ( because I am a bad sea traveller) now that is not on a buget as it is very expensive....unless you have TESCO points as they are worth 4x the value when use for air miles and used on eurotunnel.....it could even be free..the trip is only 30mins and of coarse you and the dog..dogs stay with you....if you can afford buy the book ..." all the AIRES France"... from Vicarious books ...from amazon or other internet book sellers ...excellent

The dog on the eurotunnel was about £42 to £45 and I think you only pay one way ...from Calais France to England you pay... and from England to Calais was free...but 100% not sure
Mel

Last edited:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Dogs Abroad

The ferry charges for the pet to travel. Which is a bit ironic considering our motorhome seats and sleeps 6 and we would only pay the one price for however many travel. BUT take a pet and they slap on an extra £30.

THEN The pet travels over on the ferry in the motorhome.... they are not allowed on deck!.

Aires in France were cheaper and more easily available. We used supermarket carparks when we ran out of search time. The Carpark at Vimy we shared with 2 German vans and left the van to cycle to the Vimy Ridge Memorial. A friendly Frenchwoman showed us the village cemetery and the British section.:thumb:

Enjoy your trip, we travelled for the first time in 2009 and had a great time.

Regards June:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Try not to stop at Calais when you get over as a lot of Brits have been robbed and lost there bicycles .....go on if you can up to about 50 to 100 km......just keep away from Calais as there are a lot of undesirables all waiting to come to England !?

Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Try not to stop at Calais when you get over as a lot of Brits have been robbed and lost there bicycles .....go on if you can up to about 50 to 100 km......just keep away from Calais as there are a lot of undesirables all waiting to come to England !?

Mel:thumb:
And most of them are Funsters coming home:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
When shopping in supermarkets in large towns only one of you go into the shop the other stop with the van as gypsy gangs keep their eyes on empty vans and remove them, the police told us of a camper that was taken from a supermarket carpark in Poitiers and found 3 hours later totally stripped :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back