Roaming charges end on 15 June (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right , does anyone know the answer to this,presently on an o2 contract, when in Europe you don't use any of your contract mins but go on to a fixed £1.99 a day for all data and calls, so now is it going to be scrapped and just go to useing your contract mins, as it is now data is unlimited for the day, but on my contract I only have 2 gb a month so that is soon going to be used up.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Right , does anyone know the answer to this,presently on an o2 contract, when in Europe you don't use any of your contract mins but go on to a fixed £1.99 a day for all data and calls, so now is it going to be scrapped and just go to useing your contract mins, as it is now data is unlimited for the day, but on my contract I only have 2 gb a month so that is soon going to be used up.
I don't really know the answer to your specific question chaser, but my understanding was that whatever your existing contract provides in the UK, from 15 June it would be the same in the remainder of Europe? 2GB a month sounds a reasonable allowance to me for just surfing the net and email etc, but obviously won't go far if streaming video or downloading a lot of music. I've only got 1GB a month on my phone contract and never manage to use it - but then I guess it's supplemented with plenty of wi-fi useage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't really know the answer to your specific question chaser, but my understanding was that whatever your existing contract provides in the UK, from 15 June it would be the same in the remainder of Europe? 2GB a month sounds a reasonable allowance to me for just surfing the net and email etc, but obviously won't go far if streaming video or downloading a lot of music. I've only got 1GB a month on my phone contract and never manage to use it - but then I guess it's supplemented with plenty of wi-fi useage.
That is true, I never use my allowance at home but then most of what I do is on the house wifi, when in Europe we mainly use a mifi with a 3 sim for data, tethered to tablets which are on broadband at home, so don't know whether the o2 would suffice or to get new 3 sims.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
That is true, I never use my allowance at home but then most of what I do is on the house wifi, when in Europe we mainly use a mifi with a 3 sim for data, tethered to tablets which are on broadband at home, so don't know whether the o2 would suffice or to get new 3 sims.
Exactly the same with us - we have a '3' sim in a mi-fi, but we do also use campsites as well as aires, so sometimes get free wi-fi. But I think 2GB would go quite a long way - you can check how much you've consumed using the app on your phone (or at least I can). As an aside, my son suggested to me yesterday that watching TV/video consumes about 200MB an hour.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Exactly the same with us - we have a '3' sim in a mi-fi, but we do also use campsites as well as aires, so sometimes get free wi-fi. But I think 2GB would go quite a long way - you can check how much you've consumed using the app on your phone (or at least I can). As an aside, my son suggested to me yesterday that watching TV/video consumes about 200MB an hour.
1 day then:(

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Being devoid of Techie savviness I may almost nothing when abroad with my brick on a PAYG Tesco, HOWEVER I've just put another tenner on it (plus the 'free' £20 for a month)

I've noticed that when I'm in the UK, the charge is way over the 4p a min I get charged in the EU.
No doubt this will change and I'll be charged an arm and a leg when I go abroad.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am on a o2 contract, been with them for at least 10 years as it is the only one that works at home, anyway I have upgraded over the years, I tell them I'm moving every year and have now got down to £10 a month unlimited calls and texts and 2 gb data, but they still charge the £1.99 a day abroad, so at home my bill is always a tenner but when in Europe my basic tenner still stands but they charge this £1.99 a day extra, and it kicks in automatically the first time you text , call or use data every midnight to midnight, which if added to my data allowance might work out dearer than we are now.
Minefield(n):(

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
To answer the OP - by April 2019 the UK will (we assume) no longer be in the EU.
People visiting the EU from non-EU countries now do not normally benefit from any non-additional-charges when using their non-EU-country phone and airtime contract within the EU.

I therefore assume that from the date of the UK leaving the EU, UK visitors to the EU (and EEA countries) will likely face the same additional roaming charges on their in-EU calls/texts and downloads that all other non-EU visitors to the EU do now.

Your own UK airtime supplier MIGHT be able/willing to negotiate a deal with some airtime suppliers in some/all EU member States to enable you not to have to pay some or all of the additional roaming charges that you'd otherwise have to (in exchange for those other company's customers getting the same "subsidised" deal from you UK airtime provider when they visit the UK).
BUT I'd have thought that highly unlikely in the absence of international regulatory force, because all that would do is reduce the extra profits that each/all of those airtime providers make from carrying calls/texts/data from non-customers who are visiting countries they provide airtime within.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Your own UK airtime supplier MIGHT be able/willing to negotiate a deal with some airtime suppliers in some/all EU member States to enable you not to have to pay some or all of the additional roaming charges that you'd otherwise have to (in exchange for those other company's customers getting the same "subsidised" deal from you UK airtime provider when they visit the UK).
BUT I'd have thought that highly unlikely in the absence of international regulatory force, because all that would do is reduce the extra profits that each/all of those airtime providers make from carrying calls/texts/data from non-customers who are visiting countries they provide airtime within.
Not sure about this part as three already have the 'feel at home deal' for many non EU countries. I think the trend away from roaming will continue, however, outside of the EU it wont have the legislation to back it up so we are once again at the mercy of the large telecommunications companies. I doubt we will get as good a deal outside of the EU but I am not sure we will be returning to the horrors of roaming fees as such.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Not sure about this part as three already have the 'feel at home deal' for many non EU countries. I think the trend away from roaming will continue, however, outside of the EU it wont have the legislation to back it up so we are once again at the mercy of the large telecommunications companies. I doubt we will get as good a deal outside of the EU but I am not sure we will be returning to the horrors of roaming fees as such.

My understanding is that the Three UK "Feel at Home" deal is only for certain packages, and in any event isn't unlimited free roaming.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The '3' network 'Internet with legs' pay-as-you go 4g data-only sim can be purchased without a contract and lasts for up to 12 months (12GB), or 24 months (24GB). There are also similar sims available with less data and shorter validity durations. They are in effect a pre-pay sim, because topping them up is expensive - better to replace with another pre-paid sim. They work on the continent, as well as in the UK. I'm unsure about further afield?

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The '3' network 'Internet with legs' pay-as-you go 4g data-only sim can be purchased without a contract and lasts for up to 12 months (12GB), or 24 months (24GB). There are also similar sims available with less data and shorter validity durations. They are in effect a pre-pay sim, because topping them up is expensive - better to replace with another pre-paid sim. They work on the continent, as well as in the UK. I'm unsure about further afield?
You would have no chance of streaming tv on 3, even if you could afford it, especially in France. You are even blocked from streaming audio (uk radio).
No roaming charges doesn't mean same service as subscribers to the local network get. Also you get 3G instead of 4g.

Dick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back