Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi

Has anyone ever had to convert, or been involved with converting an American RV from US spec Indicators (where the hazards flash the Red Lights) to UK spec (where the hazards flash the Amber lights only)

I have a problem where I have rewired the RV to spec as in the manual and everything works ok, including the individual rear amber indicators, but when I switch the Hazards on both amber indicators AND red rear lights flash...:Doh:

The Indicator switch/wiring on the steering column is designed to run the red rears...for the hazards.

To make matters worse...the person who originally converted it...used all yellow wire.....for all the lights.:Doh:

I am in the process of replacing the wiring back to spec colours.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Cheers. Steve.

PS Weather isn't helping at the mo..:Sad:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am in the process of replacing the wiring back to spec colours.
Any advice would be appreciated...

Buy some cable marking labels - easier and cheaper and you can write meaningful comments on them.

Ebay - 350293750996

Or any labelling machine of course.

Does it matter if the brake lights flash ??

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Buy some cable marking labels - easier and cheaper and you can write meaningful comments on them.

Ebay - 350293750996

Or any labelling machine of course.

Does it matter if the brake lights flash ??

Apparently so.

I posted before and Geo replied.Being an MOT Test station it appears that only the orange hazards flash....

I have run a new 7 core cable front to back to sort the wiring and intend ripping the old yellow ones out.

Cheers Hilldweller.

I might invest in some tags anyway.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You can get coloured sleeving that might help to identify as labels dont always last.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:Cheers Rob

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi Steve. I have done it 3 times and explained to others how it should be done. The problem with MOST older RV's is that the wiring from the COntrol box at the front to the rear uses a single cable. Hence the need to rewire completley from the front to the rear.

Head Lights - Dip and aim must be within specified perameters. Dip to the left and not the right.
It must be possible to see a repeater Indicator or side view of the indicator at 45 degrees angle from the front.
Lights,indicators and hazard lights must not interfere with each other whilst in operation.
Running lights must NOT intereact with the Indicator, tail or brake lights.
In other words they MUST work independently.
Brake lights must NOT be affected by other lights.
Fog Lamp - Must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle - Tell-tale must work
Must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured - Must be red.
We usually fit seperate added Fog (RED) and Reversing (WHITE) lights

Usually it means re-wiring the Indicator lights at the front and rear.
The connection from the running lights to tail, brake and indiciator lights must be separate.
Usually we change the rear RED indicators to Amber lens or use the WHITE reversing lights as indicators (rewired) and using an Amber bulb.
The side running lights near the front driver and the passenger side should be connected to the Indicator lights to meet the MOT requirement of a 45 degree view of an indicator.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Running lights must NOT intereact with the Indicator, tail or brake lights.
In other words they MUST work independently.

Hi John this may be correct on paper but not in practice, my side front running lights double up as extra indicators, and its now gone through 3 Mots at a VOSA testing station without any problem.

Olley

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi John this may be correct on paper but not in practice, my side front running lights double up as extra indicators, and its now gone through 3 Mots at a VOSA testing station without any problem.

Olley

::bigsmile: That is as maybe olley. BUT, not ALL MOT tests are the same. The information I gathered several years ago was from here:- http://www.motuk.com/mottest.htm#7 under LIGHTS.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the advice.

I have found a thread on the "other" side that mentions disconnecting the brake wire and running another back to the rear lights...

During my re-wiring and reterminating I remember sone wires being found disconnected, one of which WAS a white...which just happens to be the feed to the brakes...

I'll take a look tomorrow.

It seems from the comments that not all MOT stations are equal....something I have known for some time now.

Sod's law states that if I submit it as it is...it'll fail..:Doh:

Everything else works fine.::bigsmile:

Steve.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yep.

It looks like the brake light circuitry is the culprit here...

Weather C++p so will rewire next weekend now...If the weather lets me.:Doh:

I have a new 12n cable run in, front to rear...::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back