roof repair (1 Viewer)

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
hey All, nice website,

recently became the owner of a 93 Adria 540 on a ducato base. there is some water ingress in an area of the roof, concealed by a cupboard. the roof is aluminium, got up to have a look and previous owner must have had a sat dish on the roof, and now the holes are filled with black rubbery stuff, probably silicon or rubber of some sort. scraped this stuff off as it looked dodgy.

I have searched a bit and found no single conclusive answer to reparing an aluminium roof, Eternabond gets some good reviews, any other ideas?

May do some of the seals also as they look tired and worn, any ideas for this, silicon seems like a no-go I am right?

Any thoughts helpful. There is also a some water damage in this area.

Many thanks

G

The vagabond

Free Member
Mar 6, 2009
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Try Sikaflex

There is a product on the market called Sikaflex, it is an adhesive sealant, properly applied it is very very good, it is however difficult to remove should the need arise.
Hope this is of some help.
The vagabond

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its to repair holes in an alloy roof, Flashband is as good as it gets.
Get it from your local builders merchant, it comes in a role, one side is alloy foil, the other side bitumen. Make sure the roof is dry and try to heat up the area with the wifes hairdrier or somthing similar.
Sticks like sh++ to a salvation army blanket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
is the aluminium bonded to the roof or floating, this will determain the type of repair you need to undertake.

Upvote 0

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
There is a product called alto lead ,ali foil one side and non settint adesive on the other.Been on the market a couple of years so more known by trade.We use it for flashing etc on roofs.
Try a local roofers merchant and ask for a sample.This may be big enough to cover holes,but you will need a solid roller to apply correctly.
Otherwise glue a plate over holes with silkaflex as mentioned above or another product we use and i can say does the job is called sticks like s**t.
Dave

Upvote 0

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Hi and welcome to the Fun, I used silkaflex on our roof after a profesional fitted our top box and made a pigs ear of it. worked a treat.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi & welcome :thumb: use Sikaflex & a bit of ally sheet -- if you use Flashband it will always bleed through any paint you cover it with -- while doing a good sealing job it will put off future buyers
terry

Upvote 0

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Hi & welcome :thumb: use Sikaflex & a bit of ally sheet -- if you use Flashband it will always bleed through any paint you cover it with -- while doing a good sealing job it will put off future buyers
terry

As above I would use Sikaflex , you can also get a sikaflex remover if you get it anywhere you dont want it. I use it on my boat and wouldnt use anything else.

John

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
terry

This would be my preferred method.. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
thanks for the tips very helpul,

interesting no-one mentioned eternabond. Would silkaflex be suitable for window seals and vent seals?

Upvote 0

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year

interesting no-one mentioned eternabond. Would silkaflex be suitable for window seals and vent seals?

Yes, a lot better than silicone, easier to use as well. One thing I will say is once the tube has been opened it will only last a month or so even if you block up the nozzle so it may be wise to plan a whole day of sealing up ::bigsmile: or have a sealing party with a few others.

regards, John

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Sika make a huge range of sealing products.

For caravan/motorhome general use look for Sikaflex 512..

Purpose-designed Adhesive and Sealant for Caravans, Motorhomes and Trailers. Bonds and seals in one. Strong watertight joints. Elastic and non-shrink stay white formulation. Bonds to all normal construction components (except silicone, polythene or polypropylene).

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Yes it will seal / bond most things :thumb: but on roof vents I use Sikaflex and a bead of GP mastic (general purpose) because it does not stick to some kinds of plastic - sort of belt and braces :thumb: No idea why it does not stick to some kinds but sticks others so I don't take chances :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

jenroof

Free Member
Mar 31, 2010
Funster No
You might use a sikaflex for your aluminum roofing. You better check it and personally repair it for you to make it better.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back