Taking an older motorhome abroad ? (1 Viewer)

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Ive been thinking of going to have a tour round France later this year, no plans just go with the flow, My motorhome is a 1987 Elddis Autostratus, 20L petrol, 80,000 miles with full service history. the question is would you go abroad with something this old ?
Most of the motorhomes I've seen abroad in the photo's seem fairly new.

Regards, John

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Ive been thinking of going to have a tour round France later this year, no plans just go with the flow, My motorhome is a 1987 Elddis Autostratus, 20L petrol, 80,000 miles with full service history. the question is would you go abroad with something this old ?

Regards, John

You are taking the chassis cab back to the land of it's birth, go for it, there should be no

probs. You might even come back with plenty spares.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
1987 Elddis Autostratus, 20L petrol, 80,000 miles with full service history.
Regards, John

Why not ? 80K is not a high mileage for a modern engine.

Your only problem maybe breakdown cover if you want it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
older motot home

my motor home is 1991 we took off for Wales week before christmas did a bit of touring around wales then went to Sons for christmas then came up the road to Inverness she is just wonderful.
What I would do is make sure timeing belts are fairly new and filters and habitation check are done anything else you can do yourself that will give you peace of mind. Then just go for it . Enjoy

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
When i came over to spain my motor home was 15 years old 11 years ago I sold it 3years later to a Spanish friend who used it for a holiday back in the U.K and then back to Spain.

Go for it:thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
we took our 1992 hymer to france for 4 weeks last summer. No problems but did make sure i had continental breakdown cover just in case. Hubby gave it a good check over before we went.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Abroad

We use a 1992 Mitsubushi Pjero for towing and are planning to go to Italy and France with it this year. What the heck, if it breaks down so be it.
Graham & Jean

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Go for it, when we are touring around Europe you see motorhomes all ages and shapes and sizes, can see no reason why you should not to go, our last motorhome was a 16 year old on a Reaunalt and it went like a dream. Enjoy.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree with the other posters, go for it ..

besides, older engines without computer management systems are IMO far more reliable.. :thumb:

OP
OP
John H

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Thanks for all the replies, I like the idea of a simple engine layout, I think the most complicated electrics on the old girl is the voltage regulator.

Regards, John

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

Regards, John

:Cool: So how about my 1989 Kontiki?

Rearview.jpg

:Sad: Mind you. This time last year we broke down 35 miles North of Clermont Ferrand and had to spend 5 days there in -4 C waiting for parts. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
John H

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
:Cool: So how about my 1989 Kontiki?

Rearview.jpg

:Sad: Mind you. This time last year we broke down 35 miles North of Clermont Ferrand and had to spend 5 days there in -4 C waiting for parts. :ROFLMAO:

I realy liked the first part of your post , then you had to write the last bit :cry:I'll edit that bit out before the wife sees it :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Regards, John

John, I live in France and we tour around France on aires all the time, if you see some of the motorhomes that come out every year that belong to the French people I think 1987 seems a very young motorhome compared .. I am not saying they are all old, I am not, because there are some very new and beautiful and very expensive motorhomes touring around, what I am saying, it does not bother the French how old they are, they love there motorhomes and they love the out door life........incroyable.. I would never buy a second hand motorhome in France because it would have had a full and enjoyable life and been around the clock a few times.....do what all the other replies say go for it and enjoy your Holliday.....just have a few checks on the engine, service, cam belt as somebody suggested and a recovery in place for peace of mind.....no different than you would with any modern car before you would travel abroad.......don't forget your European health card is up to date :thumb::thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
IMO if you are unlucky enough to breakdown in France or for that matter,anywhere else in the world, you do what you would do in England,,,,get it fixed. No problem go and enjoy yourself and dont worry about things that dont realy matter, breakdowns are somtimes a good excuse to get to know the lockals better. Bye the way my old bus is now 21 years old and I wouldnt think twice about traveling anywhere in it.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If I was you I would go for but as someone said earlier, get the timing belt checked/changed. If you have breakdown cover they might insist on it prior to giving you European cover.

Go on Go for it.

OP
OP
John H

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I'm a fairly competant mechanic so I'm not to bothered about minor breakdowns, wheel bearings breaks etc. I'll have to check but I think the fiat ducato 20L petrol lump has a camchain not a belt,. Ive already fitted all new fillters and drive belts and got spare wheel bearing and break pads etc to take with me. I'm looking forwards to going on this trip, Just need to sort out the dogs passport before I can set a departure date.

thanks for all your help,

Regards, John

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
The 2 litre petrol is a chain rather than a belt.

The Talbot Express/ Citroen C25/ Peugeot J5/ Fiat Ducato is as common as dirt on the continent.
We try to schedule our breakdowns for when we are in France because the parts and labour charges are so much cheaper.
There isn't much on these vehicles that can't be fixed with a cross-peen hammer and a roll of duck (or duct) tape.

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
taking an older motorhome abroard

for the last three years (now retired) have taken our 91 hymer to france ,spain ,portugal and italy not withstanding the numerous trips up and down gb my only problem on return from portugal got 2 miles from home and she cut out aa came within 15 minutes towed us to a safe spot off A14 and fixed a burnt wire to ignition apparantly a common fault can only say go f or it and enjoy every minute of it. happy travelling. lifes to short to pass it up.

Last edited:

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs

Regards, John

Hi last year i wildcamped for a few days on oleron (Charente Maritime) With a guy from wales , he was returning back to the uk after spending 3 months driving down as far as Moroco where he had been touring round the country. He was in an old renault autosleeper 1985 vintage 2 ltr petrol not sure what model it was but it was pretty rough. He said he had bought it for the journey and he had paid £500 for it he had a bet on with a friend back in the uk that if he got back from his tour his mate would give him the money back for the van .The only thing that he had to replace was a battery that had failed on him up in the Atlas mountains . I don`t know whether he made it back to Wales and won his bet (i Hope he did ) so it just goes to show that it can be done you don`t have to have a new van to enjoy your hobby just go for it have a safe and happy holiday

Spireman

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Chesterfield Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Regards, John
We have had our 1990 Hymer for 5 years, we have had at least 2 trips to Europe every year averaging 2500 miles per trip. Of course we have had problems, everyone does. but so far nothing too serious, certainly nothing to call out the breakdown services for--- yet. European Breakdown cover is available cheaply if you insure through Saga-- hope I don't have to find out how good it is.
Go for it, our older motorhomes are far easier (and cheaper) to work on than the later ones, should anything nasty happen-- believe me, French garages are helpful if you make an attempt at the language-- and are much cheaper.
Relax, and book your ferry-- Seafrance are £19 each way, or they were last week when I booked our spring holiday--- you'll love it!

John

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
We broke down in a van under 2 years old and under 10000 on the clock so age does not matter,in fact the older the van the easier to fix.
Would recommend breakdown cover then if the worst does happen just look at it has part of the adventure.
Enjoy and goodluck.
Dave

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Our 1986 Merc 608D left UK in Sept.07, immediately after her Mot and proceeded to do 22000k, taking in India (&all countries between,Turkey,Bulgaria etc),Greece,Spain,Morocco etc. then back to UK last autumn, where she passed a new Mot with NO ADVISORIES. In that time she had a new centre propshaft bearing fitted in Morocco,a new fanbelt,and a respray (also in Morocco, 200 euros). Oh yes, she has new moroccan seat/bed covering too. She's done 612000k,all original engine/g'box/axles etc. ...

Breakdown cover? ADAC. Just in case,but not needed...

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Newer is not always better!

Hi John,

I have had two vans, a 1989 Talbot Highwayman with the 2 litre petrol engine and the current Bessacarr on a 1998 2.5TD Fiat chassis, both owned for about 5 years covering about the same mileage in each.

I have taken the Highwayman to Dresden and back whilst the Bessacarr has gone no further than Northern France, but yes the Bessacarr wins on points; 2 major breakdowns versus 1 for the Highwayman (this being a sheared gear selector clevis on top of the box)

Mind you a few years hence when I am obliged to upgrade to the X250 chassis I will probably be lamentng the reliability of the 2.5TD lump!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ive been thinking of going to have a tour round France later this year, no plans just go with the flow, My motorhome is a 1987 Elddis Autostratus, 20L petrol, 80,000 miles with full service history. the question is would you go abroad with something this old ?Most of the motorhomes I've seen abroad in the photo's seem fairly new.Regards, John

Repatriation insurance would give you peace of mind, if you can get it make sure that your service history is up to date and with you or they won’t do a thing for you. A friend of mine drove his old VW van to Australia without any major probs. Have a great time.:thumb:

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
We took our 62 commer to the Netherlands, lost drive and were tranported to Dutch friends site where it was repaired.On the way home broke down again were put up in hotel whilst repair effected, then drove home via ferry. In both instances we were given the option of being transported home this was with Flux insurance for classics.
We traveled all over europe in a variety of old campers and this was the only time we got our monies worth from the insurance, boy were we glad.

OP
OP
John H

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Thanks for all your replies, they are all a great help, as a novice abroad is there any books you would recomend ?(apart from the cheque book:Doh:)

Regards, John

MME

Free Member
Aug 19, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
C Class 542
Exp
6 Years
Being a builder you will be aware just how important it is to have tools on board to carry out those small repairs that always seems to occupy my time. The thing is that with a new van you would have to contend with teething troubles so you have made a good start. Before leaving the Uk have the vehicle out for a test run and all will be well. Probably see you over there!

Best regards,
John.:Smile:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Thanks for all your replies, they are all a great help, as a novice abroad is there any books you would recomend ?(apart from the cheque book:Doh:)

Regards, John

Mine? :thumb:

Just don't stay at the Campeggio Miramare at Punta Sabbioni, Venice Lagoon, if you don't want to be treated as a second class citizen :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back