Free Member
Oct 15, 2009
west lancashire coast
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Happy new year to all funsters.Booked the ferry this afternoon Portsmouth-Santander,Mid April.Now looking for campsites between Santander and Santiago de compostela.Returning via Biarritz and the French coast to Brittany.All information much appreciated. Cheers Jean&Keith.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Santillano-del-mar a very good camp site (can be found in the camping cheque book) and well worth the stop over as it is a beautiful medieval village and is about 20 miles from the Ferry.

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We travelled in the camper between St. Jean Pied de Port and Santiago in June 2009 and campsites between Burgos and Santiago were in very short supply. None were listed in the 2009 ASCI DVD so we more or less drove straight through from Burgos. You might see the odd municipal campsite if you are lucky. There are 2 in Santiago itself. The one closest to the centre, Camping As Cancelas, is where we stayed. Basic but with a great restaurant on site. We pretty much traveled straight back to St. Jean de Luz, near Biaritz and then beach hopped up the coast to Brittany and home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Happy new year to all funsters.Booked the ferry this afternoon Portsmouth-Santander,Mid April.Now looking for campsites between Santander and Santiago de compostela.Returning via Biarritz and the French coast to Brittany.All information much appreciated. Cheers Jean&Keith.

Stay where you are for a few weeks. Snow is VERY heavy in Lancs and Yorkshire. Over a foot predicted over the next few days in the South, if you believe the weathermen. We have had over 16 inches in a week here in North East.
Wiljoy

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Along the N coast we have stayed at:

San Vicente de la Barquera, http://www.campingelrosal.com/camping_en.htm nice site overlooking sea with Pine trees, 1/2 mile to town, about 30 miles W of Santander

Candas; clifftop site about 8 miles W of Gijon Link Removed

Viladun near Ribadeo on the Asturias / Galicia border. Near beach and town of Castropol Link Removed

The campsite in Santiago is terraced and has lots of trees so satellite TV can be a problem. Otherwise OK if you don't mind donkeys wandering around your van. http://www.campingascancelas.com/index.php?s=1&language=GB

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
Along the N coast we have stayed at:

San Vicente de la Barquera, http://www.campingelrosal.com/camping_en.htm nice site overlooking sea with Pine trees, 1/2 mile to town, about 30 miles W of Santander

Candas; clifftop site about 8 miles W of Gijon Link Removed

Viladun near Ribadeo on the Asturias / Galicia border. Near beach and town of Castropol Link Removed

The campsite in Santiago is terraced and has lots of trees so satellite TV can be a problem. Otherwise OK if you don't mind donkeys wandering around your van. http://www.campingascancelas.com/index.php?s=1&language=GB

Andy

I live in Gijon, in the north of Spain so I think I can help you.

The first of all, DON'T GO to Candas Campsite. it is plenty of residential people ( do you understand what it is? I'm not sure how to explain it:Sad::Sad::Sad:.) Camping Ribadeo I think is closed when you¡re going to travel.

Camping Santillana is very good and you can pay with Camping Cheque. It's a good nice place and it's near Santander.

You can stay in Camping Deva at Gijon, open all year. Gijon is a city with interesting things and places to visit. There are very good restaurants, too.

About 100 km from Gijon to Santiago you can go to Camping Los Cantiles, at Luarca. Open all year too. Clifftop.

When you drive by Galicia , the region in wich Santiago is, you don´t have any problem if you want to overnight there several motorhome areas on the way: Burela, Mondoñedo, Lugo, Sarria. The only place I know you have to go into campsite is Santiago

If you want to do the French Way, you must drive by Castilla Leon. There few and bad campsites,but teher's no problem if you want to do wild overnight

I hope I could help you

Yoli

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back