Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Have you noticed there is a distinct lack of comment from the doom merchants since the snow and ice came. I am puzzled how, after last years coldest winter for years and now this, this can happen with the earths temerature soaring. I am also intrigued how the anti 4x4 lobby has gone very quiet. Am I just being cynical?

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Have you also noticed how our glorious Met Office (they who are in the forefront of 'climate change' predictions) said we were likely to experience a mild winter in October's long range forecast? Now it turns out it's likely to be the coldest for 100 years or so.

Enjoy the snow, forget worrying about global warming - if it's going to happen it will happen irrespective of what we do about it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am puzzled how, after last years coldest winter for years and now this, this can happen with the earths temerature soaring.

No need to puzzle..

Climate change is happening and has many effects, not always warming..

For example, if the Atlantic conveyor stops or changes direction due to the melting polar ice caused by global warming we will have winters like Canada

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I also agree its very confusing, is the ice cap melting anymore than it has done naturally since the last ice age, I think the main confusing is why isn't anyone prepared to debate this in an honest open way, it seems that equal funds are not given to both sides of this argument/subject, if anyone dares to raise any level of scepticism they are immediately denounced as know nothings,

When asked recently how come the temperature hasn't risen significantly over the last 10 years we are told its a blip, what the bloody hell does that mean, it sounds more like an inconvenience in the global warming scheme, if its just a blip explain BLIP,

Why should we believe the ice cap is melting any more than it has done over the last million odd years, when Ice Road truckers get their longest season ever in the recent series.

How come the Romans used to grow grapes at Hadrian's wall all that time ago.

What happened to the big hole in the ozone layer, don't here much about that anymore, anyone know,

If the email situation recently is true and i haven't heard anyone dispute it yet, why did it appear they were stifling other explanations, if the science is so perfect it should be able to withstand any level of debate, and i would have thought welcome the sceptics to show them the way, but that doesn't appear to be happening, or perhaps I'm missing it.

The question surly is, who is making the climate change or is it a natural phenomenon

There seems to be a lot of issues that as just dismissed as blips etc. if the climate change lobby want to be believed then I suggest they get into open debate regularly with the people who are sceptical and try to educate them as why these blips keep being pushed under the carpet.

That's my rant over.

Last edited:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
When all said and done, its all speculation. Mind you it all started with Maggie Thatcher, and since has become the Golden Goose for increasing prices and Taxes.
What rip off merchants will be elected next.

Don

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
When all said and done, its all speculation. Mind you it all started with Maggie Thatcher, and since has become the Golden Goose for increasing prices and Taxes.
What rip off merchants will be elected next.

Don
Poor old Maggie gets blamed for everything, it doesn,t say much for the heads of state that followed her because they have had 20 years too change her policies. I heard she may have been responsible for the Titantic sinking .:Smile:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
My View

I have no doubt that the world's weather is changing. In my lifetime I would consider the winters have become warmer and I am not blind to the reducing polar ice caps and glaciers.

However, as much as I suspect it is being driven by mankind, I do not believe that there is a damn thing that we can do about it. IF the dire prophesies from our scientists and governments turn out to be true, slightly changing our lifestyles by reducing our carbon output is not going to make a jot of difference.

No modernised country is going to make the enormous necessary lifestyle changes required to really change things no matter what the eco-warriors may say. Unless or until a Holy Grail fuel source is discovered and introduced throughout the world to provide all our energy needs I personally think we are whistling in the wind.

Maybe we are all on our way to hell in a handcart, but until then

Don't Worry ....Be Happy :thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
For what it's worth I think some of it
is growth in air travel taking c dioxide
closer to the atmosphere than our coal/gas
heating has ever managed

cars have to take some of the blame mainley the
amount of new ones produced to replace vehicles that
haven't arrived at the end of their yousfulness
but fashion says we must have the latest
and governments encourage it give a little tax break
get loads back

then we come to the throw away society
need a new telly/washingmachine/fridge/
because it looks old
can't get stuff repaired because it isn't designed to be

trouble is we are all as bad
I sit pecking this out on an I phone
infront of a new telly in a c/heated house
newish car on the drive
we used to run old cars get w/machine telly fridge
repaired but financially now there seems little point
when the cost of repair is probably half the price of
a new more efficient unit
and so it goes on and more countries are becoming as wastfull
fireing the boilers so to speak

One thing that maybe could help is Less children being bought
into the world so the earth could recover
but it won't happen

still not sure if global warming is our fault or not
but I don't think we are helping
and I can't feel globally warmed at the moment

scuse my rambling

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
No need to puzzle..

For example, if the Atlantic conveyor stops or changes direction due to the melting polar ice caused by global warming we will have winters like Canada

Think you have got your facts wrong there Jim. The Atlantic Conveyer was sunk in 1982, and how can the 'heading' or position of a container ship affect the weather?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Given this is one of a looooong series of global warming cycles the earth has been through it mystifies me how ANY so called scientist ( who is not in the pocket and pay of a govt somewhere ) can say it is humans that are causing the warming

Where I sit today was once a tropical forest ( wish it was now ! LOL !! Bloody freezing ! ) repeatedly over the millennia..

And yep, the cold is directly attributable to the polar cap melting and pushing the gulf stream further down, thereby shifting the nice warm waters coming up from the mid americas which has given us a fairly ( considering :Smile: ) stable climate

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
I'm still trying to get the Millenium bug out of my computer, trying to recover from BSE and mad cow disease, and Salmonella, not to mention Asian flu, (and bird flu while I think of it) to worry about non-science nonsense.... except that I, like everyone else, am having to pay vast sums for Broon and others to jet around to conferences and try to outdo each other in giving our money away.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I'm still trying to get the Millenium bug out of my computer, trying to recover from BSE and mad cow disease, and Salmonella, not to mention Asian flu, (and bird flu while I think of it) to worry about non-science nonsense.... except that I, like everyone else, am having to pay vast sums for Broon and others to jet around to conferences and try to outdo each other in giving our money away.

We had avian flu and they killed off millions of birds

We had swine flu and the killed off thousands of pigs

Can't wait for Asian flu to come round again...........................

( Yes I know ! Not very PC but it is only meant as a joke !!)

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
"Global warming" is about more taxes and so called carbon credits and the man who started all this, Al Gore just so happens to own several companies who trade in carbon credits and is making a fortune. Carbon credits are one of the most tradeable commodities at the moment and some people are becoming super wealthy on the back of it, and as usual the little guy pays. Rant over.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Nice one, Jaws - oh, and a Happy New Year to you, too, mon vieux!

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
"Global warming" is about more taxes and so called carbon credits and the man who started all this, Al Gore just so happens to own several companies who trade in carbon credits and is making a fortune. Carbon credits are one of the most tradeable commodities at the moment and some people are becoming super wealthy on the back of it, and as usual the little guy pays. Rant over.

Here Here.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its a pity the pollytishuns have turned most of us into sceptics by grabbing all the tax they can on the back of global warming when the carbon emissions from the UK provide just 2% of total global emissions.
Turning my telly off standby won't change a thing when street lights, office lights, floodlights etc are left on unnecessarily all over the country. Government must set an example in power saving instead of just issuing us with edicts . Man may well be responsible for a proportion of global warming but a great deal of it is likely to be a natural trend.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
People are saying this is the worst winter ever, Crap! l can remember snow like this in the 60s and 70s and 80s. Global warming has been altered to Climate change, cos its not warming up. Its all a con, to raise taxes in one way or another. Waters will rise, we are told, then last week on TV the water behind the Hoover dam is at its lowest ever! Las Vegas will become dry in 15 years they say. l think its a natural change, and the politicians are jumping on the bandwagon taxing all and sundry. Why do people think its unusual for snow at this time of year? For Chris'ts sake, Bing Crosby has been singing about it for the last 300 years!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Think you have got your facts wrong there Jim. The Atlantic Conveyer was sunk in 1982, and how can the 'heading' or position of a container ship affect the weather?

When I went to school it was the Gulf Stream, then it became the North Atlantic drift, now its the North Atlantic Conveyor, one day they may make there minds up. :Doh:

If it does stop, as Jim says we will get a bit chilly, but as the ice increases the sea levels are likely to fall not rise.

Olley

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

The problem with the information in the link you have given is the fact that they won't go into open debate and more importantly won't fund fellow scientists who disagree with there conclusions,

Its OK printing a load of information and feeding it to the unscientific community but what i want to see is money spent on a fully open an in-depth unbiased studies, not just one sided information which i am not in a position to dispute,

As it seems the information from another very respected scientific organisation that you could have equally put as a link on this specific subject may be called into question over the recent email situation.

Another scientific fact verses public information that calls in to question the way information is presented is the recent cannabis fiasco as an example of one sided views being presented as scientific facts.

Until there is open properly funded unbiased scientific research carried out then i will find it very difficult to accept that the majority of the problems aren't natural phenomenons and the very small percentage that perhaps man contributes is going to be impossible to change due to the physical number of people in the world, which i really can't see changing any time soon if ever.

Please take time to read the article from the world's oldest scientific academy..

The Royal Society on global warming ..

http://royalsociety.org/Climate-Change/

read and understand the arguments before saying it's all hog wash ..

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Please take time to read the article from the world's oldest scientific academy..

The Royal Society on global warming ..

http://royalsociety.org/Climate-Change/

read and understand the arguments before saying it's all hog wash ..

Check out their funding stream first :RollEyes:

It is reported that man-made carbon dioxide emissions throughout human history constitute less than 0.00022 percent of the total naturally emitted from the mantle of the earth during geological history.

When Al Gore (who is well on his way to his second billion) showed a rise in temperature as a direct result of a rise in CO2 using the now totally discredited 'hockey stick' graph his time span was so compressed that it was not exactly clear that he CO2 levels actually rose 800 years after the rise in temperature ie the earth temperature rises and it takes 800 years to thaw the Siberian permafrost which subsequently releases methane gas - It is estimated that here are 500 gigatons of carbon in these Siberian wastelands and 900 gigatons worldwide :Eeek: Mann made (joke) emissions on this scale are frankly nil

After World War II, there was a huge surge in recorded CO2 emissions but global temperatures fell for four decades after 1940 - remember those winters of 63?

The way the world's population is increasing there will soon be a major problem with food - global wheat production is already barely keeping up which is a far cry from the days when we had mountains of the stuff stored all round the country. Increased CO2 is beneficial to crop production, if indeed the temperatures. are going up then again, it can only be a good thing in the longer term.

Forget all the CO2 tripe, that's just a sideshow, the real event has just started now the money men have just left Copenhagen (where all the greenies froze after being locked out after protesting at how warm it was) The Carbon Credits trading scheme is estimated to balloon to $2 trillion by 2020 - can you imagine the fees and percentages attached to that? Always, Always follow the money to find out what is really going on.

One thing is for sure. We are all going to work harder and pay a lot more taxes to pay for it all; Change of government? Don't worry this is all being organised at UN and EU level and there's not a thing we can do about it

OP
OP
C

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Am I pleased to see I am not the only doubter. Seems to me that you cannot lose the global warming arguement as any extreme can be blamed on climate change. I am old enough and live far enough north to have seen it all before. Every time I hear a statement which ends " for xxx years" Does that mean climate change existed xxx years ago, or are they blips as well. Sorry Jim I am not convinced and if you could see out my window just now I think you may agree.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
63-64 was the worst winter I can remember. I will never ever forget it as my mum was dying in a hospital miles from anywhere. I was 13 and my nan ( bless her ) took me through all the snow as often as she could

But! That is a by the by

In a straw poll taken recently ( 350 people asked ) less than 2% of those asked believed the whole global warming malarky was nothing more than a way to scam tax's from the proletariat.

Sooner or later it will all blow up in the thieving buggers faces ( hopefully )

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
On the news tonight there was a weather expert saying you can't use the weather in Britain as an argument against global warming as it is such a small country with very changeable weather. On the news this morning there were pictures of snow in China, the worst for over 20years, also the US recently got record snow falls. Are they also small inconsequential countries?

It's all just a tax gathering scam barstewards. :Angry:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
That was the year we came back from Aden
come back in shorts to stanstead airport
snow on the ground I new what it was to be
a brass monkey then
still not sure who's fooling who globalwarming wise

OP
OP
C

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Good point Ken, I seem to remember the floods in Cumbria and Boscastle were clearly used as a demonstration of Global Warming. It wasn't inconsequential then!!

OP
OP
C

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Official word. The Director of the Met Office has just stated on BBC News that this weather is nothing to do with Global Warming, it is just variations of British weather. His words not mine.
Can we assume all other extremes can be treated the same or does the cold weather just not suit the climate change arguement.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
No need to puzzle..

I know a man who repairs conveyors and I've put him on standby.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back