Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
coventry
Funster No
MH
bongo
Exp
Hello happy new year to you all

In a months time I will be collecting my newly converted Ford Freda/Bongo. This is my first camper van, and is an upgrade to camping. I am now at the age where I would like to roll on and roll off a site, rather than, unload carry, find site, and pitch in the muddy rain.

I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys will be able to share your knowledge with me

1) What are the top tips that you wish someone had shared when you first began motor homing

2) Being female I love shopping, and I am itching to start making Freda homely. What Gadget/Thing is a must.

hanx

Cas

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
Welcome.. my first trip as a solo female was a good way to meet people; another Funster, Chatterdog, drove to rescue me as I had forgotten the tin opener! so my advice for a must have gadget is a good bright coloured tin opener! and internet access so you can cry for help in the middle of the night when the shops are shut! Thanks Chatterdog! xx
The Funsters are all great and a superb source of information ask them before you buy... someone may well have tested it and have an opinion they are willing to share.
The latest accessory I have obtained via Funsters is a new OH... so not as many solo female trips this year.
Enjoy your motorhome xx

most useful advice i was given ... double check your cupboard doors are shut!

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi casls650:welcome: To MH FUN

By far most important purchase is a cork screw, cant travel without one.

You are bound to get more suggestions

Hope all goes well.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

In a months time I will be collecting my newly converted Ford Freda/Bongo. This is my first camper van, and is an upgrade to camping. I am now at the age where I would like to roll on and roll off a site, rather than, unload carry, find site, and pitch in the muddy rain.

I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys will be able to share your knowledge with me

1) What are the top tips that you wish someone had shared when you first began motor homing Take it easy with the gadgets.

2) Being female I love shopping, and I am itching to start making Freda homely. What Gadget/Thing is a must. It really does depend on what your van comes with and what you intend doing with it, i.e. wilding in winter? does it have a heater

hanx

Cas

Basically don't rush out and buy for buyings sake, spend it on diesel. You being an ex camper probably could give us tips on how to get by with a minimum of gear however so I,m sorry if this appears to sound like teaching a granny how to suck eggs.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with you're new van anyway

Regards,and Link Removed to the fun.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Someone near by

Welcome
Without doubt - Internet access. You will never be alone no matter where you are. There will always be Funster within a few miles of you day and night and would come to your aid for sure.
Graham & Jean

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The latest accessory I have obtained via Funsters is a new OH... so not as many solo female trips this year.

Ah, as ringleader I've come over all Cupid:smalllove::smalllove:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
1. Remember to get the shopping en route to save going off site again after you've set up, & fill the water tank first before you pitch.
2. Most used gadget in my campervan (other than the DVD player) is the microwave, but if you haven't got room in the Frieda then a mini oven does TV dinners/bake tatties/warm up pies as well - just takes a bit longer.

And don't forget the tin opener, bottle opener, corkscrew. ::bigsmile:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp

1) What are the top tips that you wish someone had shared when you first began motor homing

2) Being female I love shopping, and I am itching to start making Freda homely. What Gadget/Thing is a must.

hanx

Cas
Hi Cas and welcome:Smile:
Well I have a chapter of TOP TEN TIPS in my book, but the best thing is an outdoor table and chairs so all the crumbs don't get on the 'van floor - especially useful if travelling in France and eating all those lovely croissats and baguettes :winky:

OP
OP
C

casls650

Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
coventry
Funster No
MH
bongo
Exp
Hello All

cheers for all responses. Cork screw, can opener and Internet access seem to be the key thing. I do like the idea of a microwave, but i think my first gadget will be a foam mattress. I do like lists, so I have purchased the motorhome checklist, which will give me some interesting reading and I will probably refer to when I go and collect the vehicle. Another help, is there a website I can check out the price of items (eg gas bottle, glass tops, seat belts). We have verbally agreed a spec and now we are getting into the detail of what is and is not included. I have been given prices for "extras" and whilst I think the chap I am dealing with is fair and honest, being naieve to both buying a vehicle and having a conversion I would like to check out the prices before I get them to do the "extras"

:thumb:

Cas x

OP
OP
C

casls650

Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
coventry
Funster No
MH
bongo
Exp
Enjoy your motorhome xx

most useful advice i was given ... double check your cupboard doors are shut![/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have been having fun. Cupboard doors is one that has been mentioned to me before, so obviously a must.
Cas x::bigsmile:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
welcome

hi and a very big welcome, as i said before, you join, you put a note on and you get a reply,, not only are you now a funster, but totaly mad, and have no known cure, it just gets worse, at this very moment you are trying to think what to write back,, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: what did i want to know,, have been motorhoming over 20 years, still dont know much,, but if we all no 1 thing, at least we can help others, a toy,, ?? well i sugest a couple of funster stickers, then we will know you when we park next to you, find them on the right of screen, then you need a good view,,, every time you go out you will find one,, take a picky,, and share it,,, travel safe, travel well,, :thumb:
best wishes froghopper:Eeek::Eeek:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Cas, the one thing I would not be without is my skillet with that I can cook most things from a joint of lamb to a toasty sandwich, and all it takes is the space of a saucepan. welcome to a wonderful way of life. Carol.:Smile:

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
good luck

any upholstery requirments or a custom new matress go to zapher( not sure if that is spelt correctly ) at z g upholstery in radford , coventry , he did repairs on our hi-ace and we could not tell where the repair was even though we knew it was damaged when we took it in , he also matched fabric and made us a matress for top roof bed , prices were superb and quality excellent
i am sure you know jacksons at old arley for any technical problems or camper parts , pedleys at ash green good for accessories and servicing as well ( ask for steve), best of look and enjoy it , remember lots of places now you can stay for free with better views than campsites

robin

OP
OP
C

casls650

Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
coventry
Funster No
MH
bongo
Exp
any upholstery requirments or a custom new matress go to zapher( not sure if that is spelt correctly ) at z g upholstery in radford , coventry , he did repairs on our hi-ace and we could not tell where the repair was even though we knew it was damaged when we took it in , he also matched fabric and made us a matress for top roof bed , prices were superb and quality excellent
i am sure you know jacksons at old arley for any technical problems or camper parts , pedleys at ash green good for accessories and servicing as well ( ask for steve), best of look and enjoy it , remember lots of places now you can stay for free with better views than campsites

robin

Robin

thanks, for all these details, I am originally from Reading, and only been in Coventry for 4 years, so I dont know there area, so these details are great. I did not understand the last line. Where will I find details of these free places to stay?

cheers
Carole

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
you will pick up a lot from the peple on this site but my favorites are in cornwall where you can stay for free on st michaels mount road with a view over the beach and the mount , £8/24 hours in praa car park right on 1 mile of golden beach, tintagel castle car park pennies for overnight quite a few of the n.trust car parks , but there are loads just keep a eye on these pages

good luck and enjoy:thumb:

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi and welcome. My advice to you would be not to go mad and buy lots of things to put in your van because, trust me, you will take most of them out again! Use it a few times and you will realise what you need.

Have fun,

Venita

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
There's a bloke with a motorhome and several motorbikes, who lives virtually opposite Pedleys, LOL

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

hanx

Cas

Hi Cas,
Welcome to looney land. You'll love it.

How much do you love music? If the answer is 'a lot', you probably won't want to carry a thousand CDs with you when you travel.
Since internet access appears to be one of the good ideas you may be going for, I imagine that you'll be using a laptop or something... If your van stereo has a socket for a 3.5mm MP3 type plug, you can either put some of youre favourite music on an MP3 player and play it through you MH sound system or, and this is my favourite, buy a small external USB powered 250Gb or 320Gb hard disc (Western Digital for example [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-Portable/dp/B002MG4B1Y/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_1[/ame]), download all your music onto it and play it through your laptop, plugged into your van stereo. Good music, good sound quality, no extra bits and pieces (CDs, external laptop speakers, MP3 players) to lug around. Having said that I take my MPs player too and use that for music on the road.

Enjoy 'the fun'

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

casls650

Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
coventry
Funster No
MH
bongo
Exp
John
I have a battery powered/AC DAB radio which you plug the MP3 player into. It currently sits in the kitchen, but when I get the van it will relocate to there. I have a blackberry but no portable laptop, so that will have to wait a while.

Cas

OP
OP
C

casls650

Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
coventry
Funster No
MH
bongo
Exp
There's a bloke with a motorhome and several motorbikes, who lives virtually opposite Pedleys, LOL
several motorbikes? lucky you. I sold my last one 4 years ago 3 months after moving up here. The guttering was leaking at my new house and it was the only thing I had that could pay the repair cost. Still one day again, (after the camper, the new front door, decorate, the lounge, kitchen etc)
Cas

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
John
I have a battery powered/AC DAB radio which you plug the MP3 player into. It currently sits in the kitchen, but when I get the van it will relocate to there. I have a blackberry but no portable laptop, so that will have to wait a while.

Cas

Hi Cas swoped my blackberry for a iphone put all my music on it over 70 Cds and can play it in my Rv, do,s the lot plays though the van Hi-fi and l can watch film on the tele from it, its got sat nav internet access, all in a little phone ureal Paul:thumb:

OP
OP
C

casls650

Free Member
Jan 4, 2010
coventry
Funster No
MH
bongo
Exp
top tip

I have found out my own top tip;
" Check how much tax is left on the vehicle before you agree to buy"

I did not do this and naive asked how much was left to be told zero. So there goes another £100 that I had not budget for :Sad: It all adds up.

Cas

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What I meant to say when accidently posting under the guise of my beloved (Trophychap) was that the kettle is usually on at our house virtually opposite Pedleys!

Yes - Jacksons of Old Arley do have a caff - but Pedleys don't! (and we don't charge people we like, or even those we don't like when we invited them LOL)

Oh and I have to ask because I'm obviously terribly thick - how does one edit a post? - the info at the bottom of the page says I can, and the site FAQ tells me to click on the Edit button, but I have no such button????????

Edit - blow me, there IS that button!!!! - but I swear when we were signed in as Trophychap, it wasn't!!!!!

Last edited:

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
bonus we are working at pedleys tomorrow and now know where to get a cuppa , bacon sandwich !!!!!!!!! , only joking am sure shop or workshop will do us a cuppa while working there

steve at pedley does occassionaly have motorhomes in and is very motorhome freindly for a tugger dealer and this is where we got our present motorhome from and are very pleased with it , also they do secure storage for any one who needs it around coventry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We thought you might be working right here tomorrow LOL, as earlier this eveing we had a power cut, certainly our row of houses and the back (Moat Farm Drive) so I dunno if all the rd was off as we live at the back, as it were. Certainly all the Street lamps at the back and down the 'jitty' (next to us) were off.

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we used to live on smorrall lane 30 years ago by sidwells farm ( hospital lane end ) and could guarantee blackouts in the snow good job we had a coal fire , looks like things havent changed much, hospital lane was always cut off with snow and used to walk along the fence to jump in in , hey ho the joys of youth

mind you when moved to bulkington power cuts were a lot worse and for longer

strange now on outskirts of coventry got 3 gennys including the m.home one and have only had 2 power cuts in 8 years

better hope the power is on tomorrow or will not be able to work at pedleys

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back