LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Well my V5 is currently with the DVLA and in 2 weeks France beckons.
It may not be back in time.
I totally understand that i will be breaking the law as i am not going to stop going just because i dont have the original with me. I have a photograph of it with me.

So my question is, has anybody ever been stopped in france/europe and failed to have their V5 or insurance or driving licence or MOT with them and what happened ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Been stopped a couple of times but had originals, so not answering your question really.
HOWEVER, Main difference with the old French and Spanish police is that fines are "on the spot" so if they want to have you it will be cash there and then.. Get a funny one and you risk not being allowed to move without doucuments :eek:..

Life is a gamble, (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We were involved in an accident when a lorry reversed into our parked car six years ago in France.

Police arrived to deal with the incident and asked for our (V5). We had a photocopy in the car and explained that the original was in our house, in France, only a few miles away.

They accepted the photocopy without any problem, but it may have been different if anyone had been hurt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I totally understand that i will be breaking the law as i am not going to stop going just because i dont have the original with me. I have a photograph of it with me.

So my question is, has anybody ever been stopped in france/europe and failed to have their V5 or insurance or driving licence or MOT with them and what happened ?
Regularly Asked for Passports but driving licence (twice only) at some borders, last year. If you go over many EU country borders these days you can be stopped indiscriminately, only by luck of timing was I not pulled into various check points for weighing and a general shakedown, so personally I would not like to chance it. Very different experience to my similar 2013 extensive trips where no borders were manned and was not stopped at all.

Also Breathalysed in the middle of nowhere in Finland, at a mandatory stop, I dread to think what would have happened had I been over their limit....Somebody told me the French police sometimes do a mandatory stop, document check and breathalyser of people driving vehicles out of their ports!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Was stopped in Portugal in February and fined €30 for not having my docs with me, I explained to the GNR that I had nowhere to keep them without them getting wet, shame he said €30 please but you could carry a photocopy. All he wanted was the V5

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

You should be able to get a temporary V5C .... read my post here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/driving-abroad-without-v5c-doc.135107/#post-1954618

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A garage in France wouldn't change the clutch on my car without a copy of the V5.

God knows why and it was a real hassle to get it sorted.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A garage in France wouldn't change the clutch on my car without a copy of the V5.

God knows why and it was a real hassle to get it sorted.
i ve just read the thread that @Minxy Girl linked in.
I have a copy of the V5 that i took (certificate of upgrade as well) and it appears that, in general, this is acceptable.
No reports that i can find on here of someone being fined for not having one and faxes/photocopies/photos seem to suffice

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i ve just read the thread that @Minxy Girl linked in.
I have a copy of the V5 that i took (certificate of upgrade as well) and it appears that, in general, this is acceptable.
No reports that i can find on here of someone being fined for not having one and faxes/photocopies/photos seem to suffice

I think copies are fine. That's what we carry now.

In my case the garage did accept a copy sent to them by email(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"A" Frame warning!!:D2:D2:D2

I was stopped 3 times in Spain 2006/7.(n)(n)(n) All 3 times Sunday, all 3 times by "Guardia" on motorcycles!!. The "offence" towing with "A" frame. (I was let off with a warning each time). They accepted my copy of the V5 and insurance doc`s, and MOT, without question. (Mind they where hard to tell from the originals!) properly sized and printed both side etc;.(y)

From that, my take would be that under roadside conditions, the Police would be hard put to even KNOW they where not "original"?.

EDIT: With regard to Minxi`s post. Another reason to make sure you have copies of anything you send the D(ozy)VLA! And I always send it recorded delivery!.

Some years ago, My mate moved house, and as a good citizen should, he sent his licence etc for updating his address. When it cam back his entitlement to ride a Motorcycle was missing. They refused point blank to reinstate it. He actually finished up taking a fresh test!.

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
"A" Frame warning!!:D2:D2:D2

Some years ago, My mate moved house, and as a good citizen should, he sent his licence etc for updating his address. When it cam back his entitlement to ride a Motorcycle was missing. They refused point blank to reinstate it. He actually finished up taking a fresh test!.

I heard about the licence "problem" and always " loose" mine, so that I have proof that I have all my entitlements.

Got to be ready for them. :)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I heard about the licence "problem" and always " loose" mine, so that I have proof that I have all my entitlements.

I will need to keep my C1 soon so just in case it disappears I will take a copy of my Driving licence details as held by the DVLA

upload_2017-3-21_8-18-1.png

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

How strange a coincidence that is, I "lost" my pre 70year old licence too.:).

Message for Jim. Do we have a "Tongue in the cheek" Smiley? anywhere?.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Over the years I've have two incidents in France in cars both times the police were not interested until they had seen the V5. First time I had a car broken into in Lyon my V5 was in my briefcase in my customers office they would not do a thing until they had the V5. Second time in a supermarket car park in a village near Lyon (we give that area a wide birth now) couple of kids on a scooter rode up one the back hopped off opened passenger door tried to snatch the boss's bag couldn't get that so grabbed the laptop wich was on her lap. Again police refused to do anything until the V5 was produced.
You may not get fined but without a crime report your insurance won't pay out.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Interesting experience in Gran Canary some years ago....

Not personally involved with the accident but in charge of the vehicle after when asked by the police for the V5C. I requested that I copied it first before handing it over which I did. I then offered the officer both copies and he took the copy! I was then told that I could collect it from the police station the next day not as though it was very important as they only had a photocopy.

Rod

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Been travelling all over Europe for over 40 years and I've never been stopped or asked for documents. Saying that, I always carry them with me anyway.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Anyone with a smartphone/tablet with a camera... can take a decent picture of any doc... save as a pic or pdf... and upload it to the cloud (dropbox etc)...

I do it with anything i deem important.. from V5 , manuals for stuff etc and even reciepts for some goods that I might need for warranty etc...

All in their respective folders..

It is then accessible anywhere.. and on any device or PC if you have an internet connection..

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Does this mean that yoou have to carry the V5 with you in case the van gets nicked with all your docs in it while you're away/

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Does this mean that yoou have to carry the V5 with you in case the van gets nicked with all your docs in it while you're away/

DEFFO in France! If you have left your V5 in the MO, Police report will mention it, saying that you have made it easy for the robbers, which might affect the amount of money your insurance will give you.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Well, now that I have thought about it.

I am sure that my van will have been broken into and they will have stolen my V5. I did try to report it to the police but they wouldn't take the report of my stolen V5 until they had seen the V5 hence I don't have a crime number.

I do however have a copy.

If someone reminds me tonight, I will impart information as to how you can upload photos of your property onto www.immobilise.com which is a "police" website and used for identification of laptops cameras jewellery etc. (and its free (you knew it would be free if I used it))

If someone else knows about it bung up a new thread. We have recovered property and the thieving little (&*^%&*^ have been successfully prosecuted.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Was stopped in Portugal in February and fined €30 for not having my docs with me, I explained to the GNR that I had nowhere to keep them without them getting wet, shame he said €30 please but you could carry a photocopy. All he wanted was the V5
You need to get that damp problem sorted :giggler:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
DEFFO in France! If you have left your V5 in the MO, Police report will mention it, saying that you have made it easy for the robbers, which might affect the amount of money your insurance will give you.
Tricky one, I am of the school of carrying everything with me in a security pouch next to my skin, buried under clothing in my urban disguise......Soon somebody is going to offer me money!
25A41FF600000578-2952261-image-a-5_1423833425327.jpg

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
I had this problem. I called DVLA to explain I needed the V5 for a trip to Europe. They marked it as urgent and it arrived two days later. Give them a try, you might be surprised.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Been stopped a couple of times but had originals, so not answering your question really.
HOWEVER, Main difference with the old French and Spanish police is that fines are "on the spot" so if they want to have you it will be cash there and then.. Get a funny one and you risk not being allowed to move without doucuments :eek:..

Life is a gamble, (y)
Spanish 'Trafico' are no longer allowed to accept fine payment in cash. Any asking for it are bent. Most Trafico vehicles carry card payment terminals now.

Regularly Asked for Passports but driving licence (twice only) at some borders, last year. If you go over many EU country borders these days you can be stopped indiscriminately, only by luck of timing was I not pulled into various check points for weighing and a general shakedown, so personally I would not like to chance it. Very different experience to my similar 2013 extensive trips where no borders were manned and was not stopped at all.

Also Breathalysed in the middle of nowhere in Finland, at a mandatory stop, I dread to think what would have happened had I been over their limit....Somebody told me the French police sometimes do a mandatory stop, document check and breathalyser of people driving vehicles out of their ports!

I was expecting that at Christmas when I was wandering over the Col du Somport ,etc; in the Pyrenees. Didn't see a soul. :( The deserted border posts were as deserted as they have ever been. Since 2011 & 65k kms wandering across Europe I still have fingers left on the first hand to continue counting Gendarmes. I've never seen any police in Germany, Belgium or Holland ?

Buy a plastic bag.:D2 You have to have one here to put your documents in when sailing/jet skiing as you're meant to carry your licence , registration documents for the craft +the public liability insurance all with you out on the water.

Yes just like we always used to have to carry all documents fpr the vehilce in it until a while ago. Now you don't need the insurance as they can check but you still have to carry the receipt showing that you have actually paid. I don't bother just all in the vehicles. can't be doing wit carrying stuff around with me.
Mind you if the car was stolen then you can't report it as stolen/ make insurance claim until you have the documents so you have to report the loss of the documents first:) to get the report that allows you to apply for new ones then when you have the new documents you can make the claim.:LOL:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Spanish 'Trafico' are no longer allowed to accept fine payment in cash. Any asking for it are bent. Most Trafico vehicles carry card payment terminals now.

I was expecting that at Christmas when I was wandering over the Col du Somport ,etc; in the Pyrenees. Didn't see a soul. :( The deserted border posts were as deserted as they have ever been. Since 2011 & 65k kms wandering across Europe I still have fingers left on the first hand to continue counting Gendarmes. I've never seen any police in Germany, Belgium or Holland ?

Buy a plastic bag.:D2 You have to have one here to put your documents in when sailing/jet skiing as you're meant to carry your licence , registration documents for the craft +the public liability insurance all with you out on the water.

Yes just like we always used to have to carry all documents fpr the vehilce in it until a while ago. Now you don't need the insurance as they can check but you still have to carry the receipt showing that you have actually paid. I don't bother just all in the vehicles. can't be doing wit carrying stuff around with me.
Mind you if the car was stolen then you can't report it as stolen/ make insurance claim until you have the documents so you have to report the loss of the documents first:) to get the report that allows you to apply for new ones then when you have the new documents you can make the claim.:LOL:
Definitely saw more on the borders than 2013, especially on the French/ Spanish border at the 'frontier' town I can't remember the name of (should have stopped for the night there! ) Border posts were patrolled in the Czech Republic, Italy and Scandinavia. In Germany no borders, but some foolish Police person had decided to mount a shakedown stop on the autobahn. This was one of the ones I avoided by timing as the Police were busy clearing up the aftermath of the major pile up they had invariably created!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the originals in the van so if it was stolen wouldn't they accept a copy. I have records of the V5 and other documents in my online account.
It can be proven that the motorhome is mine!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Ah??. TRUE. bureaucratic (French?) Logic?. proper catch 22!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back