Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hot water pipe by boiler just exploded and spewed boiling water all over. How can pipe end up like this? Good job I was in the van when it happened as could have????????

I have put a straight pipe coupler on (the type you use on a hose pipe), is it capable of dealing with the hot water it seems to be coping?

Any thoughts?

TIA

Steve

Attachments

• pipe.JPG
    pipe.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 131

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
It looks like a 10 mm pipe go to a plumbers merchant and get a 10mmSpeedfit straight connector and two inserts that should do it :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
pictures really out of focus but it looks like an air bubble within the pipe wall and has weakened it and its finally given up with the temperature and water pressure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hot water pipe by boiler just exploded and spewed boiling water all over. How can pipe end up like this? Good job I was in the van when it happened as could have????????

I have put a straight pipe coupler on (the type you use on a hose pipe), is it capable of dealing with the hot water it seems to be coping?

Any thoughts?

TIA

Steve

Good luck guys and keep Warm.:thumb:

As previously mentioned,Cut out the problem area and insert a small length of pipe and connectors as a temporary fix until you can make good in warmer climes.

Sounds like you've got on top of it.

Steve.:winky:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
In my spares pack I carry both straight and T connectors (and jubilee clips) just in case this happens. Can't comment on your connector but you can get (cheaply) proper ones.

Silly question, could the pipe have melted? Was it resting on something that got very hot? (even a cable?)

Otherwise no idea...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hard to see but it doesn't look like proper hot water pipe to me , the wall looks quite thin..
If so, I would consider replacing with new pipe.

Link Removed

plasticplumber

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
This is a heat induced burst. Your water heater / boiler has either dry fired with air in the boiler or there has been a failure of the thermostat / pump. Do not under any circumstances run your boiler again until it is checked. The burst need not be adjacent to your boiler but will be at a point where there was some contamination within the pipe. The fault is not in the pipe itself. I can guarantee this to be the case as I work investigating plumbing failures.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
This is a heat induced burst. Your water heater / boiler has either dry fired with air in the boiler or there has been a failure of the thermostat / pump. Do not under any circumstances run your boiler again until it is checked. The burst need not be adjacent to your boiler but will be at a point where there was some contamination within the pipe. The fault is not in the pipe itself. I can guarantee this to be the case as I work investigating plumbing failures.

I will contact necessary and book it in to get checked
Thanks for all replies, I wanted to know the possible cause of the burst and also would the coupling do as a temp measure. there was no water otherwise hot or cold, it worked as a temp measure to get us through. but did not run heater again or hot water.

Thanks again

Steve

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a

I guess this is the benefit of a forum like this, I would have said it was a pipe fault, I couldn't relate it to anything else, mind you I know nothing about plumbing ::bigsmile:

Will watch this thread to see the results of investigation.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Well thank you Andy for acting so Swiftly (must be the name) Dave contacted me today and is sorting out pipework for us. He is also contacting Truma so they can arrange for the boiler/thermostat to be checked.

Email sent and received a phone call within a couple of hours

Now that is what I call service. :thumb:

Thanks guys

Steve and Jan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back