LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Wow what shocking news. We have visited the wheel in the past and cannot believe such a decision is being made.

Wyn

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
When I visited last year they said to my amazement that the boats are carried FREE and it was all subsidised by us foot passengers so I expect some accountant somewhere has pointed out how many more millions they could make if they closed it to boats, chasing that ever elusive Dollar, or maybe it is the poison dwarf, Krankie, Nicola the fish trying to raise enough revenue to join the EU.

What do you think Roy @Khizzie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That's an absolute disgrace. What do they think it was built FOR? Another bit of Disneyfication. Trade-in practicality for tourism. I guess this is what can happen when useful, practical projects are dual-purposed as art.
I don't have a boat, never even had a boating holiday, but I think this is plain wrong.
It needs fighting.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
this was funded by public money for a stated goal, and i am pretty certain it wasn't to be solely used as a cash generator for the company. it hasn't hit the general media yet, expect a huge outcry.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't really get it, the lift has room in it for more than one boat at a time, it could surely take the tourist boat that they still will be running as I read it and the odd other waterway user as needed in with it

If it was being stopped from running altogether that would make some sense, ie mechanical issues but that clearly isn't the case, I do not recall seeing any costs associated with a revolution, but I wouldn't have thought they could be very high

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
When I visited last year they said to my amazement that the boats are carried FREE
That's strictly not true. Like the Huddersfield Canal Passage, the Anderton Lift, and the Ribble Link crossing, (all once charged for), The Falkirk wheel is paid for by boaters in their yearly licence fees. When you consider that the licence for a 50' narrowboat is currently running at almost £900 a year for a modest 50' boat, then it all falls into perspective. And also, 95% of all boats never get to travel through any of the above 'canal wonders', so the income to The Waterways Trust is plain to see.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I do not recall seeing any costs associated with a revolution, but I wouldn't have thought they could be very high
As a pointer to costs, David, the famous 'Barton Tank', where the Bridgewater Canal is carried above The Manchester Ship Canal in a rotating tank, which allows big ships to navigate the above and which was designed and built in the late 1800's, propelled by the original electric motors, costs.......Wait for it.........1p each time it is opened, such is the fine balance on the superb and original bearings.

barton tank.jpg

barton tank 1.jpg

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As a pointer to costs, David, the famous 'Barton Tank', where the Bridgewater Canal is carried above The Manchester Ship Canal in a rotating tank, which allows big ships to navigate the above and which was designed and built in the late 1800's, propelled by the original electric motors, costs.......Wait for it.........1p each time it is opened, such is the fine balance on the superb and original bearings.

View attachment 153278

View attachment 153279
They were the days when Britain had an engineering apprentice scheme...(y)

Last edited:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Lets shut the Dartford Crossing , flood the tunnels , and open it to Divers, and the bridge to bungy jumpers and downhill mountain bikers.

I think the people that proposed this should be sacked , on the spot , for basically being a complete and utter tw@t

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When you consider, Mr B, the use that piece of machinery has had over the last century, (with its accompanying road bridge), that it holds 800 tons of water when opening, has been subjected to tremendous wind and weather patterns throughout that time, and has been closed for serious maintenance on very rare occasions, then yes, the engineering is without doubt the very best that (possibly), the world has ever seen. (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
When I visited last year they said to my amazement that the boats are carried FREE and it was all subsidised by us foot passengers so I expect some accountant somewhere has pointed out how many more millions they could make if they closed it to boats, chasing that ever elusive Dollar, or maybe it is the poison dwarf, Krankie, Nicola the fish trying to raise enough revenue to join the EU.

Somebody somewhere is sticking down brown envelopes.......

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
its Asshattery of the finest order. If they had announced it on April 1st , it would have been more appropriate.

Deleted User

View attachment 153278

View attachment 153279
The cost of operating the Falkirk Wheel is also very low as both pods always weigh the same and are therefore perfectly balanced.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
The best response to this is to vote with action. If people boycotted the passenger boat and proposed new foot passenger side in support of the narrow boats they would have to reverse the ridiculous decision.

As already said there is room for other boats alongside the passenger boat so what's the issue?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Shut it down ,it's just a rip off for us poor english folks who are sponsoring the snp.they don't need our money they have all that revenue from oil and soon maybe from the great European states of Germany..lol

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
As already said there is room for other boats alongside the passenger boat so what's the issue?

I am with you, I cant see the issue here.

One hire company has publically stated thay have made the decision to stop operating at the end of 2017 because of the increase in commercial rates to navigate the wheel combined with the reduction in guaranteed slots for their fleet.
To try and force a better deal they have written a 'story' and put it in a public online 'newspaper' which gives the impression (incorrectly) that boat movements will be completely stopped with the sole exception of Scottish Canals own Falkirk Wheel pleasure boat.

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When they closed the Anderton Lift in Cheshire for (15)? years, then spent into the millions re-vamping it, they decided to come the Monty about private boats using it. Charge of 15 quid each way, can only be used on Ash Thursday on the third year after advent.......You all know the bulls**t story. Anyway, there was such an uproar that they made it free on demand, you dont need to book, and it's shared, both in lift and decent, by a purpose built trip boat that coins it in. Plus, they opened an on site museum that the tourists flock to pay to get into. Falkirk is no different, and I suspect something other then finance here. Political?? It will all come out in the wash. Suffice to say that so much public money was spent on building it, that the operators will have their hands tied stopping boats using it.

Anderton-Boat-Lift-2.jpg

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Though it won't affect the Falkirk rally ..Very sad news if this goes ahead. It's disgraceful. :(

Are the folk who pay for it indirindirectlrectly going to see a reduction in their waterways fees..I bet not.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Though it won't affect the Falkirk rally ..Very sad news if this goes ahead. It's disgraceful. :(

Are the folk who pay for it indirindirectlrectly going to see a reduction in their waterways fees..I bet not.
Your dead right there! The licence fee has gone up on average 10% over the last ten years, you know, when inflation was almost 0%. :mad:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We specifically asked the question about narrowboats when we visited on Friday, there was no mention of the boats being stopped from using the wheel.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Your dead right there! The licence fee has gone up on average 10% over the last ten years, you know, when inflation was almost 0%. :mad:

Still cheap at £195 for a years navigation licence though. You need a 100 boats worth of fees just to cover the cost of one persons wage. It's no wonder secondary income is required.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
As far as I believe the article is unfounded, a known whopperteller page. :pinocchio:

Will need to wait and see I guess.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Lets shut the Dartford Crossing , flood the tunnels , and open it to Divers, and the bridge to bungy jumpers and downhill mountain bikers.

I think the people that proposed this should be sacked , on the spot , for basically being a complete and utter tw@t
Could add a few minutes to your journey between Leicester to France...:)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s (another) Sad reflection on the shift and bias of society. When the "Country" loses it`s appreciation of it`s skills and History, purely in pursuit of "Mammon". The Heritage of the Nation, has been whittled away since the ("Greed is Good" (or "God?")) philosophy of the 1980`s. The "yuppie cult" has a lot to answer for.

This country , "made" things, now we buy cheap copies of the things we often design, but are produced by "Slave Labour" in countries with equally no appreciation of custom, heritage or history.

The social advancement of Mankind, was set back a hundred years in the period from 1980 onward.

Deleted User
As far as I believe the article is unfounded, a known whopperteller page. :pinocchio:

I have the same opinion about the article.

It doesn't make sense. For the wheel to operate efficiently both gondolas have to be full of water. If they only allow passengers then they would have to be on a floating pontoon and there would be still be enough room for boats on the gondola unless they are expecting hundreds of passengers on every lift.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

I am not so sure?. I spent a while looking at several articles. including the one about Drowning, Yes I think it is a "Campaigning" website. but I suspect there is at least truth in the posting?. Perhaps there has been a "Suggestion" of closure, and they are trying to give people "heads up"?.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
The only real truth is the bit about the Falkirk Wheel being in Scotland! (y)

The Falkirk Wheel was always going to need the tourist £ to survive. The Wheels honeymoon period has ended and now servicing and repairs are starting to become expensive. The hire boat companies who have made significant money transiting through the wheel at a low cost to date are now being asked to pay a more commercial rate from 2018 while at the same time, other revenue streams are being considered.

The article that was linked isn't 'reported news' but more of a company 'statement' written and submitted to look like reported news. :whistle:

Nothing more than another example of the internet being used by a company to feed the public one sided, factless 'news' to manipulate opinion and stir up support for commercial gain.

Well, at least it is in my opinion! :):):):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back