Tassimo machines (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just wondering if anyone has one of these Tassimo machines. I bought one thinking it would be good for travel and indeed it does make very good coffee and hot chocolate. However, when I just use it for hot water by re using an empty milk disc or the cleaning disc there is a slight smell of plastic to the water and resultant tea and also a slight after taste. Just wondering if that's something that will improve the more I use it or if there is a fix.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Used one for years. There is a yellow cleaning disk supplied with the machine, which you can use to just run hot water through it

On ours, the cleaning/descaling disk is fitted to the back

Hope that helps

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Tried the cleaning disc and also done the full cleaning program but not a lot of improvement.. I do notice a slight smell of plastic on the cleaning disc itself and this is the same smell I get n the water. it's as if the hot water causes something the leach out of the plastic and its similar to the smell you get when water id left n the motorhome take for weeks without being rinsed out, although that goes as soon as the tank and pies are flushed through.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just wondering if anyone has one of these Tassimo machines. I bought one thinking it would be good for travel and indeed it does make very good coffee and hot chocolate. However, when I just use it for hot water by re using an empty milk disc or the cleaning disc there is a slight smell of plastic to the water and resultant tea and also a slight after taste. Just wondering if that's something that will improve the more I use it or if there is a fix.
To make tea - buy and use a kettle. :)

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Make Tea Tramp a T bag in a cup with boiling water on it so easy

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The idea is that when on EHU you simply put the tea bag in the cup and place that under the hot water spout of the machine so you get instant hot water in the right quantity and you don' t have to mess around with boiling a kettle.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Have two - don't ask - and sister has one.
I've not noticed a taint, nor has my sister nor her family commented.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't have a machine but still enjoy my coffee, I can get a box containing 8 or 10 sachets for £1 ... various types including Cafe Latte, Mocha, Cappuccino etc ... I get them from Fulton Foods but they are available elsewhere too ... very nice they are and I have most afternoons as my 'treat'! Just bought 5 boxes so I've got plenty to take away on holiday with me!!!!:D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Somebody gave us one as a gift, and after a while something inside it broke, flooded it, and the fuse went phut. Got one for ourselves as an indulgence, and prefer the coffee and chocolate to the tea, which I find too strong.

Also got one for the workplace's light refreshment counter so we can serve up Costa and Cadbury's drinks to the visitors for about half the price that Costa outlets charge and still make a profit.

Pods can be bought in bulk in Cash & Carries like Costco, but the range varies from branch to branch.

Never had any problems with plastic taste in the water.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have now taken to making fresh coffee the Italian way, with a stove top moka pot. Use it on a gas ring and the results are very good. No inverter needed or expensive pods. Cost £10 from TJ Max. It will definitely be in the motorhome for the next trip.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
In answering the op. I too have a tassimo and have never noticed any plastic smell or taste. I use the hot water facility via the cleaning disc so it's not too hot for immediate drinking and use this with flavoured tea bags.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I don't drink tea, which is no use whatsoever to @iandsm but I hadn't even considered taking mine away in the van, until I read their post (y)

The Costa range of coffees have become a bit addictive, but my machine has quite a large water tank, so I'd probably be better off buying a smaller one for the van.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
No not got a Tassimo or any other pod machine I drink coffee from either instant or a cafetiere and buy ground coffee loose
But I do tend to drink more tea than coffee so the way I look at it why lug the weight of one of those machines

Also how many amps do they pull think they would trip a lot of French sites breakers when they only give you 3 or 6 amps

AND as for these coffee brands that some people MUST have I do not understand paying all that money for a drink of coffee

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'll liken that to why MUST I have a motorhome when a tent is far, far cheaper.
It comes down to personal taste and freedom of choice :D

... but .... just think ... instead of a cup of coffee from Costa ... you can have a funeral plan ..... :LOL:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The idea is that when on EHU you simply put the tea bag in the cup and place that under the hot water spout of the machine so you get instant hot water in the right quantity and you don' t have to mess around with boiling a kettle.
Because messing around boiling a kettle is so last century darling.
images (15)_1.jpg

Nov 16, 2012
Hedge End
Funster No
MH
Bilbo's Nexa
Exp
Since 2012
I've had a Tassimo at home for years, and love it. I would always recommend using filtered water.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I've had a Tassimo at home for years, and love it. I would always recommend using filtered water.
Alternatively, if this thread makes you want to buy one or an additional one for the MH, get one with the filter in the reservoir. ;)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have Tassimo machines and use them for coffee, and occasionally, chocolate.

We do not use it for tea so can't comment on the quality of tea produced. When we clean the machine I have not been aware of any taint smell to the water but have never tried drinking it.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have several Tassimo m/c no problem with plastic taste. The only problem I did have is if I use my Honda geni which is a psw inverter type the m/c goes bang. Ok on van inverter but does like the geni. it was replaced foc

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
You would appear to have a Tassimo then if you know the twinings tea is not to your liking, so have you experienced a plastic like smell/taste?

IMO the water doesn't get hot enough for tea. Tea requires boiling water to mash. Coffee is made at a lower temperature.

According to Google :-
The brewing temperature of the water used is very important. It should be between 195 F (91 C) and 205 F (96 C). The closer to 205 F (96 C) the better. Boiling water (212 F - 100 C) should never be used, as it will burn the coffee.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back