Insurance expiry whilst abroad. Anyone found a way to sort it? (1 Viewer)

sooty2

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hi Top on Fiat
Exp
Since 1970s
Our motorhome insurance expires while we plan to be away. Insurere will not renew more than 30 days in advance and if I cancel and renew before we go that will cost me a lot extra. Has anyone found a way to sort this out please?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Our motorhome insurance expires while we plan to be away. Insurere will not renew more than 30 days in advance and if I cancel and renew before we go that will cost me a lot extra. Has anyone found a way to sort this out please?

I re insured while abroad, I phoned the insurance company from Mimzan, France and paid by card, they sent the new certificate to the local Post Office .

This can be done for mail to a local Post Office in France, Spain or Portugal and probably to any other EU country

address it to

Your Name
Poste Restante ,
Post office address

you need your passport to collect..

jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the insurers wont do as Jim suggested then renew by phone or online and have a family member/trusted friend collect the documents from your house and post them as Jim said, poste restante or if you are staying long term on a site have it posted there instead.

same thing applies to road tax....buy online then as above.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
If your insurance is at a local office couldnt you leave a cheque for them and they could cash it 30 days before the policy ends and send it out to someone you know out there or as Jim has suggested a post office?

Regards, John

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
yes, as I said, but you need your certificate when travelling abroad..

jim

I've deleted my post as it took so long to get through it was superceded by your's.

'Kin 3 dongle's do play up at awkward times. :shout:

OP
OP
S

sooty2

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hi Top on Fiat
Exp
Since 1970s
Thanks for the very fast replies. They are telling me that the vehicle has to be on Uk soil when I renew/insure it. Has anyone ever renewed or insured more than 30 days in advance?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They are telling me that the vehicle has to be on Uk soil when I renew/insure it.?

that may be their stipulation but how are they going to know you're not in the uk, or do you have to inform them when you go abroad ?

renew as i suggested......renew and have it posted by a friend/family member.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sooty2

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hi Top on Fiat
Exp
Since 1970s
Thank. Yes I have to inform them where I am going and have already done so in posing the questions. They say I have to cancel and restart so I may as well search around for a provider who does not have these stipulations and in doing so thought I may find one who will renew further in advance so that I don't lose out as much.
All your advice is much appreciated. Hope to start out next weekend if I can get everything sorted. Sue.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thank. Yes I have to inform them where I am going and have already done so in posing the questions. They say I have to cancel and restart so I may as well search around for a provider who does not have these stipulations and in doing so thought I may find one who will renew further in advance so that I don't lose out as much.
All your advice is much appreciated. Hope to start out next weekend if I can get everything sorted. Sue.

I think that's your best bet .. try NFU .. highly recommended :thumb:

no stipulations about how many days abroad and no problem renewing while abroad

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i doubt very much you'll find any insurer that will qoute or provide insurance more than 30 days in advance.
premium rates are constantly changing and they dont want to rob themselves of a few quid......they already have enough on their plate robbing us.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I had the same scenario,, out of the country when mine was due,, as said they would not renew more than 30 days ahead.. :Sad:

So hunted round and got a few renewal prices,, found one with unlimited continental use and £60 cheaper,, so cancelled with original and took up the offer of the cheaper one a couple of weeks before we came away... Better cover as well. :thumb:

So went away with just under 12 months cover which was plenty long enough.. :thumb:

And expecting a cheque for 36 ££`s when we get home (Refund on Cancellation)

But the original insurer`s did say, when I said we would not renew,, but ah sir we may be able to help.. Tough we have already taken out with another company. your loss is their gain. ::bigsmile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think that's your best bet .. try NFU .. highly recommended :thumb:

no stipulations about how many days abroad and no problem renewing while abroad

Worth considering setting this up with NFU on a Monthly Direct Debit and having a long term agreement with them which limits any increases over the 3 or 5 years you agree to then you just get your new certificate posted to you automatically this can then be sent to you as a Pdf by a trusted family member and provided you get it printed on a laser printer I have yet to have it queried - (laser because the only roadside test they can do on it is spit on their fingers and see it the ink smudges) most originals are now printed at local level on laser printers on 100gsm paper:thumb:

Last edited:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
you just get your new certificate posted to you automatically this can then be sent to you as a Pdf by a trusted family member and provided you get it printed on a laser printer I have yet to have it queried

I was insured with Adrian Flux (I think) last year and never received a paper copy at all - just a pdf that I could then have printed.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I was insured with Adrian Flux (I think) last year and never received a paper copy at all - just a pdf that I could then have printed.

I think I am right that if you are in most of the other EU countries you must be able to present your V5 + Driving License + Insurance at the roadside if required - I dont think that EU yet have access to the UK Insurers database that our police have on a roadside stop. When we were stopped I saw the policeman lick his thumb and rub the paper hence my comments.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think I am right that if you are in most of the other EU countries you must be able to present your V5 + Driving License + Insurance at the roadside if required - I dont think that EU yet have access to the UK Insurers database that our police have on a roadside stop. When we were stopped I saw the policeman lick his thumb and rub the paper hence my comments.

possibly checking there was only one page ?

my last bike insurer (E-Bike) didnt give paper copies for either policy or certificate.
just a downloadable certificate.
policy was 'on-line' read only if i remember right.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
ins renew

hi, contact www.campton.co.uk 01883 742460. had same problem, set it all up, went away, phoned before time activated card with them, all sorted,
on other link, 215 pounds for all cover, van, travel/breakdown you name it, we got it,
see reply on new post to milly molly meander,, good luck, travel well:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back