options on very small pvc's - can I pick your brains please (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm in the process of buying a very small pvc (downsizing from a 4-berth coachbuilt) and would like to pick the brains of those who have one with regard to the 'little extras' :)
I hope to spend a LOT of time in the van, off-grid as much as possible. I'd like to go to mainland Europe but never have so that depends on how my nerve holds out. Mostly I'll be solo, but occasionally 2 :cautious:
Your views on my thinking would be appreciated (I know it's all 'subjective' but experience counts!) plus any advice and tips you care to offer ;)

COOKING: I've decided against the oven - never used the one in the bigger van - I'll have 2 gas burners and I have a double skillet. I have a mini-induction hob (with 1 suitable saucepan & 1 suitable fryingpan - these can also be used on gas) for any time I'm on EHU.
Q - should I replace the oven with a microwave or with drawers???
What about an external gas point - I'm thinking on the lines of keeping cooking smells out of the tiny van - I suppose that would mean taking an extra bit of kit for cooking on too.
Q - are they much used? - what's the smallest 'accessory' I could get, to use outside? (I guess I only need a single ring.)
FRIDGE: 50 litre fridge/freezer
WATER: I'm seriously considering having a NaturePure system fitted - this will save on carrying an extra jerrycan in places where the water might be a bit iffy. I know a lot of people will drink whatever comes and I have in the past, but I fear water quality is deteriorating in many areas.
Q - thoughts on cost/benefit?
ENERGY: 100 Ahr leisure battery. I've ordered the converter's 'standard' solar panel which is 80W.
Q - do you think this will be enough? There's the option of a 2nd leisure battery but this would take quite a bit of valuable storage space. There's also be mention of a possible EFOY - I don't know what this is - any help here please?
AWNING: I'm thinking this would be little used especially when I'm on my own. So rather than have the canopy, get some sort of a driveaway/ pop-up tent/ gazebo once I've been out a few times & know what sort of use I'd make of it.
Q - what sort of space/ weight would I need to allow for this?
CAMERA: comes with a factory-fitted reversing camera.
Q - thoughts on replacing it with a dual reversing + rear-view camera please?
CAB BLINDS: I'll need something internal - if I'm off-grid I won't want outside blinds.
Q - remis and/or internal thermal?
TOW BAR: thinking possibility of then taking more 'stuff' & maybe a larger tent when there's more than just me travelling. Won't be often & won't be for v long tours (absolute max 2 weeks)
Q - pros & cons?

Phew! that's quite a lot of questions I'm hoping you lovely people will be able to help me with :whistle:
Looking forward to your replies... (y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
While we have gone the opposite way from PVC to A class we did have a panel van for 7years.

Q - should I replace the oven with a microwave or with drawers???
we found our oven useless,and so never used it and didn't miss it. I wouldn't replace it with a microwave especially if you want to spend more time off grid.

what's the smallest 'accessory' I could get, to use outside? (I guess I only need a single ring.)
we had a little single ring burner with screw in gas bottles this fitted in a tiny plastic case. This meant you could cook anywhere around the van rather than limiting yourself to one spot where it might be too windy to cook.

remis and/or internal thermal?
mrjenben fitted remis internal which were perfect for our needs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Quest Screen house 4
That would be interesting. When it's packed it's quite long but I think it would fit nicely across behind the cab seats & I think it wouldn't interfere with the bed make-up. Packed Size:167 x 16 x 16cm. I'll keep that in mind, thank you Ann. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
buying a very small pvc

I hope to spend a LOT of time in the van

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. You are sure to go insane in a week. Though if I am brutally honest it does look like it's started already.

It's not too bad sleeping in the foetal position but trying to fry an egg in that position runs the risk of a very badly fried egg.

Have you ever tried drinking a cup of tea on your side ? It's not a fulfilling experience.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
you could cook anywhere around the van rather than limiting yourself to one spot where it might be too windy to cook.
What a very good point! I hadn't thought of that. I have one of those burners already. Decision made on that one!!! Thank you!

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Refillable gas tanks would be useful, I don't know if your van is spec'd up with them ?

Also after being in the van for a while and using it ( and the cupboards) we measured all the cupboard spaces and managed to get a selection of 'really useful' boxes to make a better use of the space. This worked for us but may not be appropriate for your needs.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You are sure to go insane in a week.
It's not as 'very small' as a Berlingo... I have 4 x travelling seats, 2 x 2-seater bench seats, and a double bed (not all at the same time though :LOL:); 2 removable tables, and a full wetroom. And - eat your heart out - a spare wheel!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As you haven't told us what you're getting its a little bit difficult to reply more specifically but ...

Oven - replace with drawers/cupboard, no point in having another piece of kit put in that you're never gonna use, in addition this would give you more storage to allow you to have the extra leisure battery put in.

Efoy - forget it ... in layman's terms it is just an expensive way to 'top' your batteries up if you are a high demand user (think very, very expensive generator!).

External gas point - I wouldn't bother with it and instead go for a suitcase stove which you can use to cook outside with a griddle pan if needs be, they run off canisters which are cheap to buy so cheap to run too.

Cab blinds - I'd go for internal Remis type blinds if you can as they are so easy to use and take up little space when open (nothing to store elsewhere).

Towbar - it will eat into your payload and if you're only likely to use it infrequently it doesn't make sense, it can easily be fitted afterwards if needs be (probably cheaper than from the converter anyway!).

Awning - again leave it for now and see what you want ... if you go abroad the chances are you'll use aires etc so won't be able to use one anyway, or at best may be able to use a Fiamma wind out one occasionally.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Refillable gas tanks would be useful, I don't know if your van is spec'd up with them ?
20 litre underslung refillable gas tank, 80 litre winterised water tanks, truma combi gas/electric heating
'really useful' boxes
Now that hits the spot - I'm one of those sad people that just LOVES plastic boxes!!! I had a lot of basket/ tray type things in the bigger van but I doubt they'll fit the cupboards in this one. Good plan! (y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
No experience of small cans so you can take my thoughts and bear that in mind.

Cooking: a little single gas burner should suffice. You can stick in a t piece with valve then add 4 metres of pipe to get to either the front or back. Dependant upon how many cups of tea you would want to make you may consider getting the small cadac instead with whistle kettle. This should only be used outdoors then you can lose the whole of your kitchen. The oven is a waste of time for you in my opinion and a bigger waste would be the microwave.
fridge 50 litres sounds good to me. Ice container ? especially if away in the summer, nothing like an ice cream available for you when its stifling
We use seperate 5 llitre water containers for drinking water they are only a euro to buy sealed and new (and full of water) replenish them from drinking taps or buy them as you go.
I wouldnt bother getting a second battery if i were in your position. Just have some discipline in your charging of phones and laptops and only limit yourself on tv if one battery isnt enough. EFOY no knowledge !
Why not just get a brolly instead of an awning ?
i d get the dual system
Internal thermal so that you can go to the mountains
Tow bar. Youll get differing opinions on this so my opinion is that i it puts me off seeing a tow bar on a vehicle that i might buy second hand, i just dont know what it has towed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you gonna let us in on the secret of what you're getting then???

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ha ha! Mel says:
As you haven't told us what you're getting its a little bit difficult to reply more specifically but ...
then goes on to give a VERY specific reply! Thanks so much, lots of useful information there that will help me.
Why not just get a brolly instead of an awning ?
i d get the dual system
Internal thermal so that you can go to the mountains
Tow bar. Youll get differing opinions on this so my opinion is that i it puts me off seeing a tow bar on a vehicle that i might buy second hand, i just dont know what it has towed
I do keep eyeing up the big promotional brolly in the hallway... Good point ref the towbar. Thank you.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
20 litre underslung refillable gas tank, 80 litre winterised water tanks, truma combi gas/electric heating

You have a strange notion of "very small" PVC from that description. I was thinking of Pug 205 van with you sleeping with your feet out of a window. What is the base vehicle ?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Wendy,
I have a tow bar on mine but mainly for my bike. This would give you the option of a small trailer for extra gubbins when you aren't travelling solo.
The oven in mine is pretty useless and I only use it to store a single electric hotplate. However I do love my microwave, which I use all the time when on EHU.
I have an external BBQ point, but not used enough.
I have a compressor fridge and found I needed 2 x 100 amp batteries and 100 wt solar. I have since added another solar, thus ensuring I have plenty of power for the 4 or 5 days I am off grid at rallies.
The Quest screenhouse is a fantastic bit of kit, but isn't compact. Mine travels on my fixed bed whilst on the road. When I am overnighting I have to transfer it to the cab and lay it across the floor.
Remis blinds every day if the week. Expensive, yes, but so easy to use and no storage issues.
A small folding aluminium table is a great accessory as it enables you to cook outside.

Hope this helps a little, and is my view from 3 years of being solo in a PVC.

Good luck!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Gas outlet good idea
Why not look at Filtapac Econoflo Rechargeable Water Filter we've been using them for ages and they are quite good and cost effective get them from the maker they're cheaper than Ebay

Why bother with oven, or microwave a good barbeque with a dome lid will work just as well and taste better too

Blinds outside mean less condensation compared to internal

Solar we have just up rated our caravan was 120W the motorhome will 150w and we could have to increase than but will need at least 2 x 110Amp batteries if not three

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Are you gonna let us in on the secret of what you're getting then???
I will, but not yet - at this stage it feels a bit like jinxing it if I do!
You have a strange notion of "very small" PVC from that description. I was thinking of Pug 205 van with you sleeping with your feet out of a window. What is the base vehicle ?
I said small, I didn't say basic... :whistle: I think of 'small' as 6-6.5 metres; maybe it's my inexperience showing???
It's 5 metres long on a Fiat Ducato.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having tried many awnings & looked at lots of shelters (most too heavy/bulky) this is our current favourite just 6.4kg albeit only available in bright green :eek: but excellent pod & folds down the size of a pop up tent Link Removed . We have two as they can be used butted together so double the space - ideal for extra sleeping space if needed (y) Like that it can be located anywhere depending on pitch rather than attached to the motorhome. Really quick to put up but do have to get the knack to fold it over in the right place to put it away.

<Broken link removed>
<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
found I needed 2 x 100 amp batteries and 100 wt solar. I have since added another solar, thus ensuring I have plenty of power for the 4 or 5 days I am off grid at rallies.
150w and we could have to increase than but will need at least 2 x 110Amp batteries if not three
That much??? :eek:
Filtapac Econoflo Rechargeable Water Filter
OK, that's one to look at, thanks.
a good barbeque with a dome lid will work just as well and taste better too
Blinds outside mean less condensation compared to internal
With both of these, not sure I'd have enough storage space.
I agree totally about external blinds; but I don't want to use externals if I'm off-grid, just to be on the safe side. Thank you for lots of ideas.
excellent pod & folds down the size of a pop up tent
That's another one to check out, thanks Wombles.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Oven - only ever used one when the kids used to come away with me, for pizzas; would love a microwave but I hardly ever have EHU so extra cupboard would be more use.
Awning - wish I had a canopy type attached. Very useful for shade if sunny or to keep the doorway dry if raining. Not enough room in my little van to carry any other sort and I don't often stop anywhere for more than 2 - 3 nights so not worth the effort of putting it up.
Outdoor cooking - I have a Campingaz Party Grill - like a small Cadac and runs off canisters, can also be used without the griddle as a ring to boil a kettle etc.
Solar & battery - I have a 150 watt panel and an 85aph battery. Enough to run heating for 3 nights on winter. (Eberspacher diesel heating uses a lot of 12v power to start up and for the fan).
Blinds - I have external ones for the front but only use them in very cold weather, prefer the curtains. The internal blinds on the other windows are good, though.
Water - I only have cold water. I only drink it boiled - in coffee etc. I tend to drink bottled flavoured waters if I'm thirsty, don't like it plain! I wouldn't want the expense and upkeep of a fancy filtering system.
Tow Bar - I have one which was on the van when I got it. Useful for a towball mounted cycle rack, plus it sticks out further then the bumper so handy if people try to park too close.
Reversing Camera - I had one on my previous van (Swift Sundance) and it was useful, but I don't need one on my T4.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Wendy, understand your question re battery power. All I would say is that since I got the extra solar panel I don't find myself checking the gauge as often. Appreciate space and weight could be an issue, but I would recommend the maximum that can be accommodated, especially if planning on winter trips. No fun wild camping in the dead of winter if you are cold!!

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Video that might help as gives idea of size & useability
That's bigger than I thought from the first picture.
canopy ... Very useful ... to keep the doorway dry
Hmm, I'd forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. Amazing what you can forget when you have decisions to make! You make me wonder, some sort of a porch???

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Some great ideas for you Wendy!
A brolly on a pole can be bought very cheaply in large French supermarkets in the summer ! But we have seen lots of smaller vans with wind out awnings and sometimes the lighter weight zip up ones. They are useful on site and keep the fridge cool if on that side in raging hot sunshine!!!!
Never used our oven excepts for a cupboard but our daughter had a two week camping trip using just this outdoor hob and canisters
IMG_0589.JPG

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I will, but not yet - at this stage it feels a bit like jinxing it if I do!

I said small, I didn't say basic... :whistle: I think of 'small' as 6-6.5 metres; maybe it's my inexperience showing???
It's 5 metres long on a Fiat Ducato.
So it's a 5 meters Ducato ??? :)
I am considering a Vauxhall Vivaro, that is small ;)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
this is our current favourite just 6.4kg albeit only available in bright green :eek: but excellent pod & folds down the size of a pop up tent

Agree with the Wombles, my brother in law has one of these for his 5 metre van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you have an underslung gas tank i would defiitly fit a barby point canisters are an expensive way to buy gas that your all ready carrying

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back