gas (1 Viewer)

blucamp2

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
Funster No
happy New year Funters .
Just getting M/home ready to leave on monday for spain ...

having trouble getting the Gas to work properly I have the scu- motion ( truma reg) I can get the gas to work but if I put heating and cooker on then it stops and I have to prime the system again ... could it be the weather as its minus 5c I am using propane

it works ok on just cooker or just heating

regards
phil

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant see it being the propane as that will still vapourize at a lower temperature than you could stand for any length of time.

maybe a faulty regulator.
is the regulator lower than the bottle valve ?
if so it could be the reg is partly clogged with the rubbery crap that comes from the hose causing a restricted flow.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

the lower the ambient temperature the lower the evaporation rate of the propane, with both heating and cooking you have exceeded the take off rate, not a lot you can do about it unless you can fit a bigger bottle which would give a higher take off rate.

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

the lower the ambient temperature the lower the evaporation rate of the propane, with both heating and cooking you have exceeded the take off rate, not a lot you can do about it unless you can fit a bigger bottle which would give a higher take off rate.

jim

Agree with Jim on this one, I have the Truma system have found the same, as gas cupboard is in heated garage once the cupboard gets warm through panels problem vanishes and then works OK.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

jim

sorry Jim, got to disagree.....

at -18deg C propane vapour will still be at a pressure of 24psi in the bottle.....
at -42 C there will be next to no pressure.

we only need 30millibar......1/66th of the bottle pressure.
even an 'open to air' bottle valve will release more gas than we need in a given time.

read the chart...table one.

Attachments

• propane.jpg
    propane.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 24

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sorry Jim, got to disagree.....

at -18deg C propane vapour will still be at a pressure of 24psi in the bottle.....
at -42 C there will be next to no pressure.

we only need 30millibar......1/66th of the bottle pressure.
even an 'open to air' bottle valve will release more gas than we need in a given time.

read the chart...table one.

then we will disagree John

the max take off rate is directly proportional to the bottle size AND the temperature.

bottles deliver gas at different rates - it's impossible to run all appliances simultaneously from the smaller bottles but is no problem with the larger ones. These rates will fall as the temperature drops below 20c

Propane Take off rates at 20c.

3.9 Kg = 0.28 m3/h (7.5 kW)

6.0 Kg = 0.42 m3/h (11 kW)

13 Kg = 0.57 m3/h (15kW)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
blucamp2

blucamp2

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
Funster No
Thanks guys ,I have a Danish system which is the same as the spanish.
I had a gas test done in november as part of the hab serivce .have had no problems with it before So I am inclined to agree with Desco and Jim , I think i was a little on the high side when I said minus 5c its more like minus 8/10c I had to put a heater in the Gas locker to get it to work So we will just have to cook or kept warm until we get out of this frost .. I can always if the problem continues once we get south I can get it sorted on the way .. Thank you papajohn for your posts and had I not had this truma system I would have gone with your theory

thanks guys
phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back