Fixed Penalty Motoring Fines (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It is proposed that £15 will be added to fixed penalty motoring fines eg parking and speeding fines, for victim support, what victims and where will the money go?

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
It is proposed that £15 will be added to fixed penalty motoring fines eg parking and speeding fines, for victim support, what victims and where will the money go?

Some of the money will be given to Yemen to fight terrorism, and some, probably to Somalia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007

How about for more extensions, decorating, gardening for MP's second and third houses.........Got to keep the trough full :Angry:

Mick

Tailendcharley

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Funster No
:Smile::Smile:

Apparently it's to pay for victims of domestic violence.....what on earth that has to do with anything is beyond me.

Just another way/method of stealing money from us....you could'nt make it up

All the best

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:Smithy::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
So if I get a parking fine & then get SWMBO to beat me up, I will get my money back ? ::bigsmile:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
C'mon, give this government a chance.

We do get some fun out of trying to identify where and at who the next money spinning project will be aimed. It gives an ironic sense of achievement when some one hits the nail on the head with a smug "I told you so"

Long live justice and equality.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
You want to pay some one 80K + expensives to come up with that one :roflmto:

"I told you so"

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No

More ducks & duck houses.....and moat cleaning. Cannot have dirty moats! :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We need more revenue, so taxing the law breakers is fine by me :thumb:

but as already mentioned, raise the excise duty on alcohol to pay for the crippling burden it's placing on the NHS .. say 50p per unit to go direct to the NHS

New years eve alone cost the NHS ( you and me ) £21million.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Where will the money go?

It will be swallowed up in administration of course.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year

but as already mentioned, raise the excise duty on alcohol to pay for the crippling burden it's placing on the NHS .. say 50p per unit to go direct to the NHS

putting tax on alcohol is punishing the law abiding people who like a drink and the responsible landlords who wont serve drunks , almost the same type of knee jerk reactions that banned hand guns because some loon shot someone, now our olympic shooting team have to go over seas to practice and lots of law abiding gun clubs had to close. wouldnt it be better for the law breakers to be punnished ? do away with human rights for the law breakers. make them dress in pink overalls and clear rivers.beaches ,community areas etc.

regards, John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

look on any courts report page in a local newspaper and you'll see they already have a £15 victim surcharge on nearly every court imposed fine. (at least they do in scarborough)

its my belief this money goes into a central pot to compensate victims of real crime, usually violent crimes.
this used to be, and probably still is, handled by the criminal injuries compensation board.

if you get beaten up by some workshy lowlife scum who only has enough money for booze then theres no point in the courts awarding compo as it will never appear...hence the victim surcharge.

they fight....we pay :Angry:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
putting tax on alcohol is punishing the law abiding people who like a drink and the responsible landlords who wont serve drunks , almost the same type of knee jerk reactions that banned hand guns because some loon shot someone,

regards, John

Not a knee jerk reaction, alcohol and the social costs have nothing in common with a lunatic with a gun.. that was a knee jerk reaction that has had no effect on cutting gun crime.

Alcohol consumption has reached an all time high with the accompanying social problems, assaults, domestic violence, road deaths and ill health , the burden on society is crippling..

50p per unit to a sensible drinker is peanuts.. and will probably be introduced in Scotland. Tobacco is taxed at a far higher rate to try to stop people smoking, so why not alcohol?

I'll tell you why, because there are too many vested interests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8433935.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7944334.stm

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Not a knee jerk reaction, alcohol and the social costs have nothing in common with a lunatic with a gun.. that was a knee jerk reaction that has had no effect on cutting gun crime.

Alcohol consumption has reached an all time high with the accompanying social problems, assaults, domestic violence, road deaths and ill health , the burden on society is crippling..

50p per unit to a sensible drinker is peanuts.. and will probably be introduced in Scotland. Tobacco is taxed at a far higher rate to try to stop people smoking, so why not alcohol?

I'll tell you why, because there are too many vested interests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8433935.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7944334.stm
Tobacco is taxed a higher rate to try and stop people smoking but has it worked ? 50p a unit may be a small amount to you and I but one old gent who used to come into my local for two pints and a chat in the afternoon doesnt come in at all now as the cost of beer has gone up so much, it cant be fair that this old gent and others like him are missing out because of the idiot drinkers can it ?

Regards, John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
seeing as how the thread as moved from victim support to alcohol abuse i'll chuck in my two penn'rth.

if someone is convicted of an alcohol related crime, no matter what it is, then the courts should impose a compulsory alcohol abuse management course as they already do for some violent offenders...ie...anger management courses, and drug offenders.

this wont work for many but if it helps some it will reduce the cost to the NHS and the course costs would be far less than the NHS costs and could/should be included in any fines imposed.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

It is probable that if all the revenue from alcohol went directly to the NHS you would find that drinkers already pay their share.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Tobacco is taxed a higher rate to try and stop people smoking but has it worked ? 50p a unit may be a small amount to you and I but one old gent who used to come into my local for two pints and a chat in the afternoon doesnt come in at all now as the cost of beer has gone up so much, it cant be fair that this old gent and others like him are missing out because of the idiot drinkers can it ?

Regards, John

I agree it's not fair to the old gent nor to any other 'responsible' drinker, but is it fair that the NHS is now on it's knees because of alcohol or is it fair to the mother of a daughter mowed down by a drunk driver .. or a family slaughtered by a drunk driver running into the rear of the car ?

I have first hand experience of the harm and destruction it causes.. and this Gov has only exacerbated the situation by relaxing licensing hours and allowing 24/7 sales from supermakets and garages..

What was the theory ?? Relax licensing hours and people will drink sensibly ... :Doh:

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I agree totaly about the relaxed licensing laws, I worked as a doorman at a local nightclub for over ten years, I've seen first hand what drink does to people.
The drunk driver brings up another problem,we hardly ever see the police about in traffic cars round here just mobile gatso vans, you can be pi**ed out of your head and have no brakes but as long as your under the speed limit you wont be caught. We need more police on the streets, which of course requires more funding. I dont know what the answer is but to punish those that are law abiding to pay for those that arent sounds like the lunatics have taken over the asylum.:Doh:

regards, John

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
What was the theory ?? Relax licensing hours and people will drink sensibly ... :Doh:

Sensible people do. Idiots will just get there 'buzz' from another, probably illegal, source, leaving 'sensible' drinkers to pick up an even larger tab.

Surely you don't believe that this £15 levy will go to victims of crime, do you?

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
In the case of alcohol abuse legislation has failed. What we need are greater resources directed towards educating the next generation on responsible behaviour (in all facets of life) and for us to lead by example.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Surely you don't believe that this £15 levy will go to victims of crime, do you?

No idea Derek, but if we need more money in the kitty, for what ever purpose, then let the law breakers pay .. make it £30 or £300 .. what ever it takes or needs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No idea Derek, but if we need more money in the kitty, for what ever purpose, then let the law breakers pay .. make it £30 or £300 .. what ever it takes or needs.

are you saying if you ever get a ticket, and theres always that chance, you would be quite happy to pay a surcharge of £300 ?

if and when i get my next one can i send it to you please...i'll pay the penalty...you pay the surcharge:roflmto:

how about setting up a volentary donation scheme to bail 'em out......
im sure every law abiding citizen will donate £300.....NOT!!!!:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In the case of alcohol abuse legislation has failed. What we need are greater resources directed towards educating the next generation on responsible behaviour (in all facets of life) and for us to lead by example.

Indeed it has and needs repealed/amended ..

1. Increase tax, pay direct to NHS coffers
2. Reduce license hours, drastically.
3. Ban sales from grocers and garages
4. Ban outdoor drinking in public, lock up those who flout the law.
5. Close pubs/clubs/bars that sell alcohol to drunks
6. Ban cut price drinks, happy hours etc
7. Stiffer penalties for drunk and disorderly
8. Ban all alco-pops ,
9. Ban all advertising
10. yes and EDUCATE our kids .. show them the results of alcohol abuse/misuse, take them to rehab centres, show them a diseased liver, show them it's not cool.

Harsh drastic measures but will ANY Of this happen ??

No .. as already said, there are far too many vested interests, MPs with shares and Lords with directorships in breweries and alcohol beverage companies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back