Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Off to Chatsworth in the Bailey in 20 mins , put all the dimensions in , let's see if it does better than the TomTom
Anybody else downloaded it ? Cheers !

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And me ....... I think we are going down the tablet and satnav app route so investigating which app is going to work for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Nice interface ( tho no actual speed display ) , no surprises on route ( did not try and direct me down B roads as TomTom did ) Unsuitable roads appear to be coloured red with low bridges clearly marked . First impressions are good tho I know this route quite well . A week today we are off to Bristol, Cardiff and Glastonbury so a greater test awaits , will keep you up to date with more in depth review then .

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I too have recently downloaded this version of the app in preparation of delivery of our MH next month. Good to hear first impressions are good and look forward to the update following your trip down to the west country.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You might find one of the option to interchange actual speed with a few other options including altitude.

EDIT, when you have a route planned tap one of the little boxes at the bottom right or left and an options page should come up.

Martin

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I had already paid for the Standard co-pilot. Unfortunately there is no upgrade path, can't even carry across maps I've paid for on the standard version. So I guess I am stuck with the standard version for a bit.

Its a good app though, especially once I found low energy mode so it doesn't kill my phone battery. Before that it would flatten the phone battery before I reached my destination, even with phone plugged into a 2 AMP charger.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I did email them and ask for upgrade as we already have co pilot. Computer said no(n)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I was wondering why more people don't use copilot?
Acc to a caravan tow-er we met yesterday it'll never take you down a narrow road. I was recounting three spectacular occasions this last year when Garmin camper has let us down.
I am going to try it but worry about phone battery and how to display it on the van dashboard. Any thoughts?

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I'm in Houston Texas and using Co Pilot and yes it's alright but not in my opinion as good as a dedicated Sat Nav, I know someone will be along to shot me down but I'm only saying as I find it.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We use it and here in Spain it seems to take exception to using (or rather not using) some roads. The main route on the N432 from Granada to Badajoz is clearly there on its maps but it tried every way possible not to use it, even taking us over one hour longer on the section from Zafra to avoid the road.

We had this once before also from Fortuna to Archena in the Murcia region.

Other than that :Eeek: I like the clear detailed maps on the screen.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
Why do you think this?

I'm in Houston Texas and using Co Pilot and yes it's alright but not in my opinion as good as a dedicated Sat Nav, I know someone will be along to shot me down but I'm only saying as I find it.

I will probably use it with a Garmin camper as we have one anyway. My main concern is narrow roads as my nerves can't take being stuck like that again.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Having driven large motorhomes for years I found that all Sat Navs will lead you astray. The best way to use them is to plot a sensible and safe route on a map and then transfer the waypoints to the SatNav. Some SatNavs waypoints are naff to use and it might be better just to add favourites. Plot all the crucial points on your route and save them as favourites. if there are more than two then number them. As you arrive at favourite 1 then navigate to favourite 2. Works for me.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We use it and here in Spain it seems to take exception to using (or rather not using) some roads. The main route on the N432 from Granada to Badajoz is clearly there on its maps but it tried every way possible not to use it, even taking us over one hour longer on the section from Zafra to avoid the road.

We had this once before also from Fortuna to Archena in the Murcia region.

Other than that :Eeek: I like the clear detailed maps on the screen.
May be something to do with your settings in vehicle profile. You can set different road classes from strongly favour, through neutral to strongly avoid. This in my opinion is a reason to buy feature but you do need to experiment to find a profile which suits your interpretation of driving. For example I have Motorways and Dual carriageways as "strongly favour", Primary roads as "neutral", Secondary roads as "avoid" and local streets as "strongly avoid"
You will find that in some cases it may need to take several steps to get to the style you want but worth perseverance.

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
We've used Co-Pilot for a few years in the U.K., and twice last year in France.:):)
We've got it set on Caravan settings, and so far it hasn't put a foot wrong wherever we've been.:D
I've got it set up on a 7inch tablet.:D
An essential bit of kit for us:):)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
May be something to do with your settings in vehicle profile. You can set different road classes from strongly favour, through neutral to strongly avoid. This in my opinion is a reason to buy feature but you do need to experiment to find a profile which suits your interpretation of driving. For example I have Motorways and Dual carriageways as "strongly favour", Primary roads as "neutral", Secondary roads as "avoid" and local streets as "strongly avoid"
You will find that in some cases it may need to take several steps to get to the style you want but worth perseverance.

Thanks I'll have a look. But the other N roads (so far) it has no problems with.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks I'll have a look. But the other N roads (so far) it has no problems with.
I did say maybe, but it is a complicated set of options and sort of like playing chess, you need to get your head around the relationship of all the options. So you may strongly favour one road type but using it is hampered by a strongly avoid or similar down rating of another, so CoPilot try's to get from point A to point B using your profile but struggles to find the compromise. There is also the "alternatives" which it calculates and presents, have you looked at those to see if it offered another option? Compared to most navigation options it is very powerful in this somewhat hidden feature but can be overwhelming for a plug and play user. As I say it is worth the perseverance.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been a big fan of Co Pilot for a couple of years and used it exclusively but have to say the new update a few months ago is bloody awful. Will persevere a bit longer but if things don't improve I may have to go back to the old Garmin. :eek: Why the hell they have to keep messing with things really annoys me. What happened to " If it ain't broke don't fix it"(n)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have the Truck version and have not had an update. They tend to lag by over a year on updating Truck maybe because it's aimed at a professional environment. So cannot comment on your experiences.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After contacting my long lost friend I've scrapped sat navs boasting dimension friendly routes. His grandson actually writes the information received for these devices and distributes it to the lives of Tom Tom etc. The dimensions of a vehicle can only function if the manufacturers receive details of roads from the local authorities. Many don't send this info so if your device doesn't behave to your input of sizes that's generally the reason. Good luck with your new device and I hope it is as expected but don't hold your breath.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Sometimes you just can't get the maps
In Sicily we asked for the best one they had and it wasnt correct. We wasted half a day trying to find a road over a mountain pass that ended up being a track for a bike only but on the map it was displayed as if for a car.
Partner is unable to follow maps due to double vision with his Parkinsons.
I'll give co pilot a shot together with garmin camper. They offer ten free days i think

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sometimes you just can't get the maps
In Sicily we asked for the best one they had and it wasnt correct. We wasted half a day trying to find a road over a mountain pass that ended up being a track for a bike only but on the map it was displayed as if for a car.
Partner is unable to follow maps due to double vision with his Parkinsons.
I'll give co pilot a shot together with garmin camper. They offer ten free days i think

We used the old version of Copilot to tour Sicily in our 5 tonne tag and it was faultless set on RV setting.
Not sure I'd trust the new version though some dodgy roads there.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We used the old version of Copilot to tour Sicily in our 5 tonne tag and it was faultless set on RV setting.
Not sure I'd trust the new version though some dodgy roads there.
I think the new upgrade is horrible. I wish they would downgrade it again.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
What's bad about the new upgrade ?
Will it keep me off narrow roads is all I'm bothered about .

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@Jim , or anyone who can advise on maps for U.K. , France and Spain?.

Mickey.
For France you won't do better than the Michelin laminated atlas, Amazon product ASIN 2067219499
Because its laminated you can mark routes and destinations with a marker pen then rub it out ready for the next trip.
You will also need a map of the whole country for large scale planning, Amazon product ASIN 2067218611
Michelin do the same maps for Spain but the atlas isn't laminated.

Richard.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Used to use Co pilot.. can't think if anything particularly negative about it .. now use the Garmin Camper which is far superior imho and has never taken me down a road I couldnt negotiate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back