caravan club (1 Viewer)

onion

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
Hi all thinking of joyning a club, can u tell me what is best for motorhome, caravan club or caravan&camping club, thanks all .

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Personally I find the C&CC the more accomodating club.

Have been a member for some years now...although recently I have been thinking about cancelling as I find most of their pitches are prebooked months in advance ...therefore wrecking any chance odf a spontaneous weekend away.

Some have chanced it and turned up to find there is space.....

I am findige the "advantages" of belonging to a club are dwindling.

There are plenty of meets going on, on this site.

Steve.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We are members of the Caravan Club and have used their CL network extensively
Don't like the rigid structure of their main sites, or their booking process.
We get a £30 discount on our MH insurance for being members ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We are members of both mainly for C&CC recovery with RAC and for access to the CL & CS sites of both - we find if we want to go to a specific area that is seems to be dominated by one club or the other on the CL front otherwise would stick with C&CC

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Both have massive disadvantages for motorhomes, after all caravans are still there favourite. So many pub sites are available the top clubs are becoming a burden to our freedom. We like to tour and having to book a site upto a year in advance is stupid. They are are now rule snobs without consideration to the needs of motorhome owners.
Wiljoy:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Was a member of the CC for a couple of years as i wanted to use the sites but in the end gave up with em because all I ever had was rudeness and constantly being reminded they have no interest in motorhomes at all.
The C & CC on the other hand have always been most pleasent and where needbe helpful.

Oh and yes, I too used the discount available to CC members for insurance and for ferry travel.
When I discontinued membership it made me look around and I saved over £100 on the insurance, and I found ferry quotes cheaper elsewhere too !! :Smile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I am not insured through the CC - it's just that my insurer gives me a £30 discount for being a member. That means that my actual membership only costs £8 in reality :Smile:

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
We are members of the CC and were also members of the C&CC for a bit.

We have only ever had one problem with attitude from one warden, but a few well chosen words resolved the issue:ROFLMAO:

However I take the point that pre planning holidays months in advance is a major pain, as some of the best sites are booked so far in advance. For instance, Ill be planning all our hols and booking up in the next couple of weeks. This takes the pleasure out of spontanious holidaying / touring, and I wish there was a simple answer. Theres nothing worse than being turned away from a site after a long journey and then having to find an alternative at the last minute - often an unsatisfactory alternative at that!
However, we remain members of the CC and overall find it suits.
Im certainly against the large commercially run sites that charge you an arm and a leg for your pitch (up to £34 a night in one case), then £5 for a dog, then £5 to put up an awning etc. I works out cheaper to stay in a hotel:ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am not insured through the CC - it's just that my insurer gives me a £30 discount for being a member. That means that my actual membership only costs £8 in reality :Smile:

Blimey ! Thats handy ! I will give that a try when I next renew..If my lot will do the same I may well join for the heck of it !

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

While I have no doubt that the insurer in question does give a discount, however you should always ring around as the discount does not mean you are being offered the most competitive price available in the market.

As for clubs we have been members of both but gave up the CC a few years ago in favour of the C&CC which seem a lot more relaxed.

The C&CC also offer a very competitive house insurance with 180 days per year away from home albeit you do have to have someone look in every 30 days I believe, we will be moving from Nationwide to them at renewal if they are still offering the same rates as they quoted 2 weeks ago as it was around £120 cheaper than Nationwide.

However their motorhome insurance was £90 dearer than SAGA so it doesn't pay to put all of your eggs in one basket, always ring around.

Hope that helps

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We belong to CC&C also known as the " Friendly Club " which they are also they have Motorhome Sections to their list of local groups so always a good choice for weekend meets and a good selection of temporary holiday sites throughout the UK.:thumb:

OP
OP
onion

onion

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
caravan clubs

We belong to CC&C also known as the " Friendly Club " which they are also they have Motorhome Sections to their list of local groups so always a good choice for weekend meets and a good selection of temporary holiday sites throughout the UK.:thumb:thanks all

]

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Sorry,I would look at web pages for sites.All that happens is members go on at the start of the year and book all sites even if they might not make the then cancle at the last minute. I am stll a member but unless they make changes I will leave.
I didn't stay a any cc sites last year. found cheaper better on the web sites.
Rod

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Been in both CC and C & CC but I think that this is the best club I've joined, 10% discount with Sureterm Insurance,been told about some of the best sites and Aires,and paces to wild camp,met some lovely people definately the best club around for motorhome owners.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
We started out as members of the Camping and Caravan Club and they were fine as far as Insurance etc for touring abroad, but when we used their sites for a GB tour, the wardens were the most miserable bunch you could imagine.
They were rude and inhospitable. The people running the Kendal site were the worst: when I arrived at reception, the woman ignored me completely for ten minutes while she was on the phone, and when I later asked the male warden what the weather was going to do, this is the reply I got:
"Don't ask me. I've been up since six this morning and haven't got time to sit around watching day-time TV for the weather forecast!"
Nice welcome eh? :Angry:
After that we joined the CC at the Edinburgh site - a far friendlier bunch even though they don't claim to be 'the friendly club'.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We have used the CC for several years now and have never had a problem with wardens.

I use it to book ferries as it always gives me the cheapest deal.

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
I`ve been a member of the CC for about 12 years and have always found their sites to be clean, well kept and other members a quiet well behaved pleasant bunch of people. Like all organisations that become so popular they don`t have to worry too much about "customer care", although I have`nt personally had any problems nor actually observed any.
The current booking system is another matter and will not improve unless the CC revert to taking a deposit for bookings.

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
The current booking system is another matter and will not improve unless the CC revert to taking a deposit for bookings.

Which is another thumbs up for the C&CC £25 deposit on internet booking. I thought about joining the CC tried to check availability at the Rowntree site in York, any weekend this month and all fully booked along with February. If they had space I would of joined and booked, needless to say I didn't. It would be advantagous to be in both clubs as there is always one or the other in the area you are travelling in.

Crafty-Camper

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
North West ( Lancashire)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
1st Year
I am a member of C & CC to, but also a local club. The main attraction is the Tempory holiday site & Weekend meets, so don't need to book. I am a great beleiver in spontanaity, if its nice, I will jsut throw things in & head off ( a major advantage in having a Mh now is I can keep a basic set up allways in), so could check the weather & decide to head off in a few mins without all the faff.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We are members of both CC and CC&C clubs, we have only been members for 6 months and in that time just made use of the CC&C District association weekend meets and plan to use some of the temporary holiday sites next year.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Been members of both at various times over the last 20 years. Never liked the "friendly club" cos they never were, and were allways full of kids playing chavball against your van or throwing frisbees etc.
CC not as child friendly which suits me, and the other caravaners dont seem to be as sociable which again, suits me. CC wardens seem to be ok these days, however the trouble is it is very difficult to book anywere cos of idiots who pre-book loads of weekends and then dont turn up or cancel the ones they dont want at the last minute. CC CL's are handy though as we have found a couple of gems recently. All IMO of course.

PS - C&CC and CC wardens can be very "difficult" at times due to the fact that unlike a privately owned / run site it doesnt matter as much to them. IMO

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All in all, reading the above replies, I reckon that purely by accident I have got it spot on...

I am not a member of either organisation and now doubt I will be in the foreseeable future !! :Eeek: :Smile:

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Have been a member of both clubs for about 25 years and have never really had a problem with either of them. I have used both clubs as a caravanner and a motorhomer and have been treated equally well, always with politeness and friendliness, maybe I have just been lucky but so far I have very little to complain about.
The cl/cs system is great and very cheap if basic facilities are all that is required and there are literally hundreds of them in every part of the British Isles.

John.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we are with the C & C Club, we would not use a club site, so the CS sites and THS are great as far as we are concerned.:winky::Smile: We have been to some really nice temporary holiday sites last year, and plan on many more this year, just turn up and stay as long as you like. ::bigsmile: :coolthumb: Bob.

OP
OP
onion

onion

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
c&cc clubs

Thanks all i dident need them with my last van dont think i need them with this 1, infact i think MH FUN is better than both, all the best hope to meet in 2010 ONION.

OP
OP
onion

onion

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
c&ccs

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Thanks all i dident need them with my last van dont think i need them with this 1, infact i think MH FUN is better than both, all the best hope to meet in 2010 ONION.

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
I've been a member of the CC for about 15 years, and only had one dust up with a warden who ranted and raved for a good five minutes because I walked through a gap in one of the hedges on the site:Doh:
When he was finished shouting, I asked him "when did he get out??", Out of what he replied!! Out of the Army, it was obvious that he was used to shouting at people, as I had recently come out of the Army myself.
It turned out that he was a retired Sergeant Major, and I suggested he think of an alternative to the CC as an employer,,,, He wasn't impressed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A couple of years later when we used the site again, he was long gone!!

Happy new Year everyone,,
Lang may yer motorhome lums reek...:ROFLMAO:

JJ

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
My only run in with a warden was at a site where the front row had to park head on so as not to spoil the view from the row behind. This was a very reasonable and fair rule. However the lady warden informed us that the whole back row was cordoned off for re seeding, so please dont try and pitch up there. We pitched on the front row, broadside on, because the bumpy, rocky pitch wouldn't let us park head on level, even with levelling ramps.............................whats the harm in that I thought. There's nobody behind us, so we're not upsetting anyone.
Then along came the warden on his little tractor and told us to move, or park head on. He was quite belligerant about it. I pointed out there was nobody behind, nor likely to be, so what harm was I doing?
Apparantly rules is rules and logic didn't enter into it.
As I said earlier in this post, a few well chosen words resolved the issue.
We revisited the same site the following year, and he had been moved elsewhere according to the new warden:thumb:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The problem is we live in a litigious age.
It is VERY hard to dismiss someone if they do not want to go !

So where do all these nasty little hitler type wardens go ?
My guess would be a sideways shuffle into an office job actually at head office !
If that is true it would certainly explain some of the awful dealings I have had with the CC

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I never had any problem with warders, I could never get a bloody booking to meet any of

them. :RollEyes: I'll be an ex member at the end of the month. :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back