Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi and a Happy New Year to all

Got away for a few days and currently staying at Waterrow site in Somerset. Lovely site & hoping to do a bit of walking but after all the rain this week all trails very muddy :Sad:

Hence back in van on internet which costs £5 per week here which IMO is very reasonable. Although I am only here for 4 days it is still £5. However, I looked at another site which wanted £5 PER DAY.

We do not get away very often so a dongle is not worth paying for. Can't be bothered driving off to find hotspots. Probably miles from here anyway.

Do you think £5 for the week is good ? Do you think it will be part of inclusive price in the future ?

Garry

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
At a fiver a week that is great value..I have been on some sites where the cost has been a fiver an hour!! With Wi-Fi we are way behind the campsites in Spain one we were on in Peniscola ...wi-fi was only 25euros a MONTH..now thats value for money...CC and C&CC take note!!

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
"Do you think £5 for the week is good ? Do you think it will be part of inclusive price in the future ?"

Yes very reasonable, I have no issue with that level of charge and yes I am sure it will become generally available FOC not only at sites and other commercial locations but also in towns etc that want visitors.

CC and C&CC are you listening?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Very good price at £5. The CC and CCC are as usual riping off members, nothing changes there then. Durung our 8 week tour of France in 2009 we were blessed with FREE wi-fi at the sites we used. The big clubs in UK don't do free and if they did it would have small print and a fee attached.
Wiljoy:thumb:

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
We do not get away very often so a dongle is not worth paying for. Can't be bothered driving off to find hotspots. Probably miles from here anyway.

Get a Voda one. £40, and that includes £15 worth of top up. No time limit, so even if you only use a few pounds every month or two, no problems. Works almost everywhere (anywhere where there is a Voda signal).

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
To be fair to the caravan club, Their internet is provided by BTopenzone and if you go to their web site, the charges are the same as the club charges, so not caravan club ripping us off. I agree that it is a rip off compared with spain, france etc.

ken

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
I would have no problem paying that amount.

I have spent the last 2 summers working in Europe, staying in hotels where the wifi was included in the room price. If I go there to work next year I will be taking the motorhome so I am looking for a reasonable cost internet. How good is the Vodaphone dongle in Europe as regards cost?

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
To be fair to the caravan club, Their internet is provided by BTopenzone and if you go to their web site, the charges are the same as the club charges, so not caravan club ripping us off. I agree that it is a rip off compared with spain, france etc.

ken

I thought that the CC were in bed with KeZone not BT; though I can use my BT account at their Hot Spots.
The sentiment of what you say though is right.
The problem is the CC went to an organisation that caters for regular heavy user [business type A/cs] and applied it to what realy is a casual occasional light user needing just a few minutes use every time they are away.
Wrong product in wrong market = cock up.
What we want in WiFi is much more the Vodaphone's mobile model; £15 last forever, limited amount of data; must be accessed every 6 months, but with WiFi consistency and speed.
That I suggest far better suits our recreational use needs than what they have gone for.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
WiFi charges

Hi,

We are at Gandia, Spain, and the charge here is €29.90/month, or around €26.90/month for 2000minutes, which will give a user about an hour a day....not bad IMO.

We opted for the month package, unlimited, and it is working well.

Talking to other long term campers here, before we did the deal, it beats buying a local dongle, and top up payments, recent restrictions have made them unattractive.

Good weather here, 28c today, and looking good for the new year.

Happy new year to yoy all.

Nomadic

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
£5 a week sounds perfectly reasonable until you hear that a privately owned CL I visited charged me a one-off fee of £3 whether I stayed for one day or one month.

Once the owners has set up the wifi system are there any further expenses for them, apart from their own ISP fee, which they would be paying regardless of any Wifi service they provided.

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
I stand corrected. Caravan club do indeed use Key zone and not BTopenzone. My apologies.

ken

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I thought that the CC were in bed with KeZone not BT; though I can use my BT account at their Hot Spots.
The sentiment of what you say though is right.
The problem is the CC went to an organisation that caters for regular heavy user [business type A/cs] and applied it to what realy is a casual occasional light user needing just a few minutes use every time they are away.
Wrong product in wrong market = cock up.
What we want in WiFi is much more the Vodaphone's mobile model; £15 last forever, limited amount of data; must be accessed every 6 months, but with WiFi consistency and speed.
That I suggest far better suits our recreational use needs than what they have gone for.

I agree. Trouble is that there isn't a Kezone/BT type company offering such a WiFi service. No doubt it will come eventually :Smile:

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
£5 a week sounds perfectly reasonable until you hear that a privately owned CL I visited charged me a one-off fee of £3 whether I stayed for one day or one month.

Once the owners has set up the wifi system are there any further expenses for them, apart from their own ISP fee, which they would be paying regardless of any Wifi service they provided.

Ongoing costs all depend on the contract the site owners have with their ISP. If it is a business contract then the ongoing costs will most likely reflect that.

No doubt some site owners (especially small sites) will probably just tack a WiFi network on the back of a domestic service (which is, strictly speaking, in breach of contract).

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
...back in van on internet which costs £5 per week here which IMO is very reasonable. Although I am only here for 4 days it is still £5. However, I looked at another site which wanted £5 PER DAY.

Do you think £5 for the week is good ? Do you think it will be part of inclusive price in the future ?
I suppose if the price gives 24/7 strong and reliable connection, then five quid a week isn't too bad.

Personally if I was a site owner, wi-fi would be something I would definately be looking to make available totally free of charge. The computer age isn't exactly 'new'....been around half a century now though admittedly not quite how we know it today. Wi-Fi isn't 'new' technology either. Wireless transmission was developed almost 120 years ago.

Free on-site Wi-Fi is something all site owners should consider if possible. I'm often amazed at how slow businesses in the UK are to keep pace with the present, let alone the future.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi and a Happy New Year to all

Got away for a few days and currently staying at Waterrow site in Somerset. Lovely site & hoping to do a bit of walking but after all the rain this week all trails very muddy :Sad:

Hence back in van on internet which costs £5 per week here which IMO is very reasonable. Although I am only here for 4 days it is still £5. However, I looked at another site which wanted £5 PER DAY.

Garry

Well If I was on a site that done that I would connect my WiFi/ router and give out individual passwords to my friends and they could connect through me and just pay me enough to make it free for me.

But then I never pay for a WiFi connection and I never go on a site. so it won't happen, but you could do it.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back