Which Generator? (1 Viewer)

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
hi all, We'll be doing wildcamping cos of our dog (not human friendly) so we are opting for a Generator.
Having done the ebay thing, and taken some advice from here, I have found the following
1. Kipor IG Suitcase Whisper 1000w £260
2. Kipor IG Suitcase Whisper 2000w £345
3. Kipor IG Suitcase Whisper 2600w £455

They are delivered prices.

Are they competitive? Is there anywhere cheaper? (look after the pennies...etc)

Any comments/thoughts/opnions appreciated.

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
Honda owners will slag the Kipor's:winky::winky:
Mine has never let me down and a fraction of the cost of the Honda's

The size depends on what you expect to use with the genny running

Alan H

Upvote 0
OP
OP
busydaffodil

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
Hi Alan,
Honda owners can say what they want. Internet research shows they are more than double the price (& sometimes treble) of a Kipor.
I do not have the funds to pay more than £500 for a Genny.

Looking for TV mainly, but have a motorised Sat dish too.
Should I buy the biggest one??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
hi,does it matter what make it is if the dogs gonner eat it ? on that note hondas the best and the quiet one.all the best muz

Upvote 0
OP
OP
busydaffodil

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
hi,does it matter what make it is if the dogs gonner eat it ? on that note hondas the best and the quiet one.all the best muz

LOL ...the dog wont eat the generator....just anyone who tries to pinch it :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have had my Kipor IG 1000 for over almost 2 years, and still waiting to be convinced the Honda is better.

Andy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
busydaffodil

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
Thanks Andyman. I think I should just order it off ebay & get it over with!

with Sat Dish & TV, should I go for the 2000 or 2600?

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Have been many threads on this issue but everyone including me will champion the one they have - go for the largest capability you can easily handle bearing in mind you have to put it somewhere and it adds to your gross vehicle weight - certainly Kipors appear to be noiser than some but it depends whos about to complain:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if its just you and yours then who cares - as for price if you are going to any of the shows you may get a better deal there otherwise try the usual auction sites etc:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
those prices look about average.

go for the biggest you can afford....a big 'un lightly loaded will run more efficient and quieter than a little 'un under full load and will have plenty in reserve if you need it.

a note on the power outputs..
you list them as watts (kw) but they are actually rated at 1, 2 and 2.6 Kva which is different.

1Kva is approx 900watts (0.9kw)

2Kva is approx 1800watts (1.8kw)

2.6Kva is approx 2200watts (2.2kw)

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had a Kipor 1000 for over two years and was very pleased with it,:Smile: but it was only any good for charging the batteries, so we decided ( or should I say ::bigsmile: I decided ) we needed a bigger one.:roflmto: So like you would not pay a grand for a new Honda and got a second hand 20i Honda for the right price.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kipor are value for money, don't know about spares, but then you could use it for spares on the next one you buy.::bigsmile: Bob.

Upvote 0

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
Kipor v Honda

I have a Kipor 1000 had a minor problem with it had to cut the automatic oil cutout.

It does the job but I wouldn't call it quite. The Honda is much quiter, but too expensive for me.

One thing I will say though - Stay away from KMS, they sell on ebay. If you do have a problem I assure you, you will get nowhere with them. They are the rudist most unhelpful company I have ever dealt with (except when your purchasing of course).

When I quoted the 'Sale of Goods Act' to them, they informed me that they had ALREADY consulted their lawyer and boasted they had won cases on the grounds that the purchaser didn't have the original box and packing.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Droop... I love my Kipor... had it for years... never look after it properly... still plods away... don't mind the purring and very rarely use it when others are around anyway.

I found by googling a down loadable full service manual and all the spares from a company in America... I put a link up somewhere... I'll look it up for you in the very near future...

JJ

Upvote 0

gunerdoo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
ROMAHOME
Hi, we had a Kipor 1000 for over two years and was very pleased with it,:Smile: but it was only any good for charging the batteries, Quote by Bobandjane.:Smile:

----------------------------------------------------
How long does it take to charge a Battery with the Kipor 1000 ? :Doh:

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
iv had my honda suitcase jenny for 24 years bought new when i was a tugger,if it failed i would replace it with a kipor.
years ago honda were the best you could get,now im not so sure,kipor are good value.

chris

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, we had a Kipor 1000 for over two years and was very pleased with it,:Smile: but it was only any good for charging the batteries, Quote by Bobandjane.:Smile:

----------------------------------------------------
How long does it take to charge a Battery with the Kipor 1000 ? :Doh:

the gennies 12v output is rated at around 7amps....so around 16hours if nothing is plugged in/in use......waste of time on a flat battery.

plug in the hookup from the genny and use the onboard charger, possibly 15 to 25amps....15a around 8hours...25a around 5hours for 1x110ah battery.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, reading the Link, looks to me like he is over loading it, odds are there is nothing wrong with it, as said OK for charging the batteries.:Smile:

Kipor 1kva Suitcase invertor generator, barely used, Honda rip off

One slight problem, starts and runs great, when it is put under load the overload light comes on and the genny revs up.

Maybe a simple fix if you know how.

Needs collecting from N Wales, open to offers.

Someone could get a bargain. :Smile: Bob.

Upvote 0

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
Regarding my faulty genny,

It will not even power a 40w light bulb for more than a few seconds, Any low wattage power appliance trips the overload alarm:cry: And due to having 330a/h of batteries no real need for it, seemed a good idea at the time of buying:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I had the chance to compare my Kipor 1kw. against my friends 1kw. Honda.

Honda slightly smaller. slightly quieter, extremley more expensive.

Pay your money take your chances.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back