Croatia - can anyone give advice on first trip? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hubby is thinking of taking the van to Coatia next year.
I'm a bit worried about how safe it is? Has anyone that has been got any advice for us or can suggest any books we could get with regards to places to go & stay?
Any advice would be helpful thanks

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
Great place, friendly and plenty of sites so no problem there and try the DK books for Croatia then see where you want to go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we went for the 1st time this year loved it so much we are going back in august

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Hubby is thinking of taking the van to Coatia next year.
I'm a bit worried about how safe it is? Has anyone that has been got any advice for us or can suggest any books we could get with regards to places to go & stay?
Any advice would be helpful thanks

Been once and plan on going in 2010 Found it safe and friendly Obviously there are crooks in any country Just be aware and look around IF your gut feeling is NO then move on That's the joy of owning a MH

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Croatia

I went to the promised land this summer on a motorbiketour. It is without question the most beautiful and diverse country I've been to in Europe ( yes I know they are not in the EU yet ) The people are so friendly and the scenery so different at every corner. We did an overnight stop with a Croatian family and stayed for 4 days. The real people out there would give you the shirt off their back ................. in fact only today I've had a text from the family wishing us happy new year and I havent seen them for 7 months. Bottom line.... go or you'll always regret it!

sussex gone north

Free Member
Jan 18, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
We went in 2004 - loved it. Don't miss the lakes at Plitvice or Dubrovnik. Parking in Pula was free on a Sunday then, made it very easy to get to the amphitheatre and other historic sites.
Driving to Dubrovnik road goes through Bosnia - your insurance will not cover you probably, but breakdown and helath may well do, we were planning to go to Bsnia and took the advice of the embassy in London that we could buy insurance at the border - you can at most border crossings but not the one on the road to Dubrovnik, which they regard as part of the Croatian road system. We crossed our fingers and went ahead.
Having got that far think about Bosnia - I don't know what the situation is like now but then it was a wonderful place to visit - very few campsites, but we stayed generally at garages which have big parking areas behind.
Mostar is a delight, and the road to Sarajevo is on my list of top drives in Europe.
We did find a camp site in the N of Bosnia at a place called Loncari - miles off the beaten track, along an unsurfaced road, site surrounded by deep woodlands with only us on it, massive fresh water swimming pool and all for 1 euro per person per night, including electricity - food at the cafe was extra though!

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Croatia ?

Use the internet as a research tool,also GOOGLE EARTH and via michelin are good sites,Why Croatia ?
Why not stay in the EU and visit BULGARIA,more or less the same,a BALTIC country,very beautiful,cheap and lovely people,next to Greece/Turkey and Romania(Danube). :thumb:

Otherwise have a good trip :Smile:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Croatia

The trip to Croatia is excellent but don't fall into the trap of going to a specific route etc. This country is certainly the place to 'get lost in' and enjoy its beauty.
In our case we went via France of course under the tunnel to Turin, Milan and stayed at Lake G:RollEyes:arda for about 4 days. This route across Italy is only one day to the Lake. Then we made for Venice (Lido) a must especially the boat trip into Venice proper and what an entrance, a view you will always remember. We walked ourselves silly around the back streets of Venice with very few people about taking just a glance at the better known places.
Next, Trieste into Croatia to the Istrian peninsular where there are may good campsites to be had. Thereafter we moved to Pula for several days and then a little further up the coast where we discovered a ferry that would take our van to Cres. Again getting 'lost' on the island we came across a number of good campsites, staying about a week. Another ferry to the Island of Krk for about 4 days leaving by the very tall bridge connecting it with the mainland at Rijeka. Incidently, we were lucky to get across due to the severe winds. No caravans or light vans being allowed but due to our weight and a promise to drive below 10MPH we were allowed across, naturally we were gratefull for clean underwear on the other side.

Route home via the MountBlanc Tunnel into France to Cherbourg.

Ron W

casagodfrey

Free Member
May 8, 2009
Funster No
Spent a month there August 2009. Going again in August 2010 but taking a boat with us. We found the north more commercial/ expensive than the south. Also sea condition was much better down south (too much algae ooop north and sea too hot).

Good journey break point in Rijeka (halfway down croatia) called Camping Tamaris. basic, but right on the sea front. We just parked and walked straight into the sea. (it was hot!). Spoke to an English guy on the next but one pitch to us and discovered he lived less than 10 miles from me!

We stayed there again on our way home for a couple of nights.

The form seems to be - just pitch and wait. The lady will come and see you when she comes to clean the loos (which were brand new and immaculate). Until she arrives you may need to borrow a loo key off a neighbour.

Depends on what kind of site you want - we wanted small and basic. We found that AutoKamps were big, whilst Autocamps were small - that may have been a coincedence but it worked for us.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We went to the island of Krk a few years ago with a caravan, very nice but the road into Croatia was very busy (July) so if we go again it will be out of season.

One point to watch is insurance. Because Croatia is not (yet) in the EU it will probably not be covered in standard policies (mine is Safeguard). Equally the recovery insurance that Safeguard provides with the policy, will not include Croatia. So you may need a green card, and I don't know about the recovery insurance.

We are planning a trip at the end of April, but we have decided to go to Chech, Poland, Slovakia and Hungary, returning via Slovenia and Austria. No problems with insurance for any of these (although that is not the reason for the choice of countries)

Jeff O

pbo

Free Member
Mar 14, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
We are off to Croatia in May for the second time. It feels very safe and we had no problems at all. The people are very friendly and most of the younger ones speak english.

Keep of the grappas, which they keep giving you or you wont know where you are!!!:Eeek:

Our insurance is with safeguard and after speaking to them on the phone they sent us a green card and said our cover including recoverery is the same as any where else.

Good luck with your trip, go and enjoy and have a good time.

P&L

sarahessex

Free Member
Jan 20, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Its a fabulous place to go to for sun & relaxation. We have been there for 2 years in a row & if it were'nt for the tolls through Austria I think we would go back. Just be aware that if you go in peak season you will have to queue going through the border, and also check when their bank holiday is as the campsites do get really busy for those few days.

Have a lovely trip

Sarah

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What is Croatia like for wild camping?

Hi, from the link in my first post :

FOR THE CAMPER
Casual camping is not generally permitted. There are about 300 organised campsites in Croatia, situated mainly on the coast. They are mostly well equipped but not inexpensive. Campers in possession of a Camping Card International may get a reduction.

ritaderek

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
Exp
Hi went to Croatia a couple of years ago -our first summer trip abroad - there are plenty of campsites that accept acsi so worth thinking about. Stayed at Biograd Near Nin,well worth a visit as is Zardar (caught a bus from Nin) then island hopped back via Pag, Rab and Krk. Rab is a particularly lovely island. travelling around is easy and we experienced no problems at all.
Have a great trip

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It may have changed a bit since my first visit .
MainRoadoverMTIghmanBosnia001.jpg

firstconvoyintoSarajevo001.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back