Battery Removal and Alarms (1 Viewer)

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Our MH has been standing for a few weeks and I decided to start up the MH yesterday, the battery had really dropped and it was unable to turn over the engine sufficiently to start up. I eventually had to jump start it and it started right away.

I had thought about taking the battery off and giving it a good charge but I don't know how this will affect the Alarm that is fitted? There is no information in the (Sigma) instruction book on if and how to re-set the alarm should the van battery be removed?

Am I going to have problems if I totally remove the battery to charge it or is it simply a matter of re-connecting the battery and (if) the alarm goes off just turning it off with the key-fob? Will the Alarm re-set itself, I don't know if it has a built in battery or circuitry to remember the code.

The van has had a good run-out today so it has put quite a bit of muscle back into the battery, I would like to know for in the future though as to whether it is safe to remove the battery? I assume it must be ok, as some garages disconnect the batteries to carry out certain types of repairs don't they?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not 100% but there should be no problems removing the battery.
if the sigma has a backup battery that will kick in anyway and it will use a rolling code.
if it should trigger when putting the battery back on just disarm using the fob.
if your radio is coded that will need resetting so make sure you have the code to hand.

im sure someone can verify 100%.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
could you run a power cable to van and charge it .that's if its at home .if not sorry :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi
For my Sigma alarm it is only a problem if thr battery discharges or is removed with the alarm activated, it would then have to be reset. I have replaced 2 batteries with no ill affects
Wanderer

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I have also got a sigma alarm and had no problem removing battery (alarm switched off first). I have also charged battery by connecting hook-up and putting charger in van with cables going into engine compartment, so either way I don't think you will have a problem.

OP
OP
B

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. ::bigsmile:

If I connect the Mains from the House to the MH is this charging the Leisure Battery and the MH Battery as well?

As suggested, if this doesn't happen I could run a Battery Charger from inside the MH to the engine compartment. Do I still need to remove the top up plugs on the battery if I do this?

I think the easiest way is to make sure the alarm is off as suggested, remove the battery and charge it in the house.

Cheers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. ::bigsmile:

If I connect the Mains from the House to the MH is this charging the Leisure Battery and the MH Battery as well?

As suggested, if this doesn't happen I could run a Battery Charger from inside the MH to the engine compartment. Do I still need to remove the top up plugs on the battery if I do this?

I think the easiest way is to make sure the alarm is off as suggested, remove the battery and charge it in the house.

Cheers.

check your control panel.
is there a 3 position rocker switch. HAB/OFF/VAN
if so you need to flick the switch to hab battery OR engine battery to charge EITHER but not together at the same time.

you can also use the engine battery in emergencies to power the hab area.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
There is a "code saver" tool that you can buy from motor factors or you can make one yourself, it's a cigar lighter plug and a 9volt (smoke alarm) battery. If your cigar lighter socket only works with the ignition on you would have to leave it on while the battery is being charged and make sure the battery terminal clamps cannot make contact with the van body etc and short out.
You could also use some croc clips and a length of cable connected to the hab batterys.

Regards, john

purdo4

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
14 months
Alarm

We have an Avital Alarm on our Motorhome but has no instruction book with it,any-one know how to operate it? Been in touch with Avital and they were not much help.We have 2 fobs and when we press the buttons on it,the lights on the van flash but there is no sound
so we dont really know how it works Help any-one understand how to do it???????????
on the fob it has a hour glass on one of the buttons, a picture of a light with a line straight through it and the bottoms two buttons have a large * and the last one 2 small locks on one is unlocked and the other is locked with a vertical line in between both of them
Maureen :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have an Avital Alarm on our Motorhome but has no instruction book with it,any-one know how to operate it? Been in touch with Avital and they were not much help.We have 2 fobs and when we press the buttons on it,the lights on the van flash but there is no sound
so we dont really know how it works Help any-one understand how to do it???????????
on the fob it has a hour glass on one of the buttons, a picture of a light with a line straight through it and the bottoms two buttons have a large * and the last one 2 small locks on one is unlocked and the other is locked with a vertical line in between both of them
Maureen :Eeek:

failing any instructions the best way is push the buttons and see what happens.

i'd say the one with 2 locks will be remote central locking if the van has this and its linked to the alarm.
the one that flashes the lights sounds like the alarm set button...unlock the doors, press it and wait a minute or so then open a door.
if the alarm triggers then press the same button again. not all alarms have an audible warning when set.

the button with the light may be a courtousy light....press it and the interior light comes on to help you find the keyhole etc, if its link to the alarm.

cant think what the hour glass could be unless its an alarm set delay.

you certainly wont break it by playing.

purdo4

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
14 months
Avital Alarm

Many thanks for your help, yes i will try playing with the buttons and see what