Off Peak Campsite Season in Europe Query (1 Viewer)

FrCrilly

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Funster No
Hi All,

I’m planning to buy a motorhome and would like to research the prospect of reducing campsite costs. I would like, at some point, to visit each of the below countries at a time of year when the weather tends to be reasonably good, campsites costs are at their most off peak price and campsite children numbers are at their minimum (I’m travelling with friends, not family).

So far I have learned that July and August are considered to be peak season for both campsite costs & children numbers and hence I will avoid booking at these times.

Can I now ask experienced well travelled motorhome owners if they have any recommendations for a particular country at a particular time of year taking the above criteria into account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all Responses.

Countries (I’m based in Ireland)

England
Scotland
Wales
France
Holland
Belgium
Luxembourg
Germany
Czech Republic (West of)
Austria (West of)
Switzerland
Italy (North of)
Spain (North of)

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Length of stay tends to bring massive savings on commercial sites. For instance the campsite i am staying at in Spain is approx 30 euro/night but if you stay for a month it is 300 euro , for some sites there is a 3or 6 month tariff . Another way to get a reduction is CCI. card where you may get about 10-15% reduction similarly with an ACSI. card . Be selective on the sites you choose eg. French Municipal sites are more than adequate for most and cost anything from 7 euro upwards but rarely more than about 12 based on 2 people. If you need more help ask specific Q. and you will get a wealth of info. on this site Al

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What people tend to forget is,the longer you go,the cheaper it becomes.
Living on an island,first of all we have the ferry to pay.
Then the fuel to get to the sun.
If you only go abroad in a MH for a few weeks on each trip,it becomes very expensive indead,what we Britts should do if at all possible,is save up the holls and have them all in one go.
That way the ferry cost and fuel broken down over a longer period of time works out much cheaper.
If you are only going for a couple of weeks its cheaper to fly,stay in a hotel,and rent a car than it is to take a MH and pay premium campsite fees.
But thats only my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Hi All,

Countries (I’m based in Ireland)

For UK Join the Caravan Club or Camping & Caravanning Club. staying on their Certificated Locations is cheaper than sites. Wild camping is not allowed in the UK
For touring the Continent, Look at www.vicariousbooks.co.uk for ACSI card (a Dutch company) that offers sites all over the Continent at below normal prices when touring out off season, I use it all the time, and also Aires in France which are mostly free. Germany have Stellplatze like Aires and the book I have is "Camperstop" again from Vicarious books.
If you stay long time as I am doing at this moment over the winter in S Spain the discount can be up to 60% off the daily rate if staying for 60 day + etc But if you are touring be prepared to pay up to Euro 25 per night if not more.
If in N Italy don't forget to visit West Slovinia around Lake Bled and the Julian Alps It's beautiful there.
Inform your bank when/where you are going and see if you can draw cash for free on your cards. Be safe with your van and cash/cards and on NO account Sleep on Motorway service stations in Spain or leave the van unattended. It will be broken into !! just be sensible all over GOOD LUCK:thumb:

England
Scotland
Wales
France (All over - fab country)
Holland (Arnhem at leastt)
Belgium
Luxembourg
Germany (Berlin, Liepzig, Colditz and Dresden)
Czech Republic (West of)
Austria (West of) and East Vienna)
Switzerland
Italy (North of) (the Lakes, Pisa, Florence and Venice)
Spain (North of) Almeria and down to Gib taking in Ronda)

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Its worth looking into camping cheques, these are purchased before going on holiday approx 14 euro per cheque they come along with map and site book you then know the cost is only going to be 14 euro even on sites charging 28 euro or more per night, also the ASCI card is worth looking into works on the same principal but you pay when you get to the site having both saves quite a bit of money, and both can be used all over Europe. Carol.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back