Disabled parking ticket advice required (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Despite several warnings from other users on here about Hampshire’s keenness on issuing parking tickets I have still managed to get one today on the Isle of Wight.

Because I now suffer from Arthritis I was issued with a Blue Badge this year (so I am quite new to the rules and regs).

We parked in a pay and display at Shanklin. We could have opted to park on a double yellow line in the village but I decided that this would be irresponsible even though it would be legal as the streets are narrow and I would have probably inconvenienced other drivers.

The sign on the car park clearly stated it was free for disabled for up to 3 hours. I am aware that if your not disabled you should buy two tickets but as I am disabled I assumed that even if I take up two bays its would be free. I parked away from the nearby disabled boxes as I would have stuck out and caused an obstruction. I parked in the quite frankly near empty car park at the top out of the way occupying the two end bays but not overlapping on either side nor causing an obstruction. This would mean people could get passed and I wouldn’t get blocked in.

On my return I had a parking ticket for £25 rising to £50 if not paid in 14 days on the windscreen with the reason being “Parked beyond the bay markings”. Well I don’t think I was as I was in two bays but within the markings. If it had said free for disabled in one bay I would have bought a ticket for the other bay but it didn’t.

I intend to contest this. It seems a little bit over zealous to issue a ticket to a holiday maker who is disabled at Christmas but there you go!

Has anyone been in a similar situation and if so what was the outcome? In future I will just park on the double yellow lines outside the car park or buy an additional ticket.

Cheers
Barry
:Smile::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one word.....jobsworth.

more words.....

but you were technicaly outside the marked bay so the ticket will probably stand.

contest it anyway, nothing to loose and the 'pay by' limit is put on hold until an outcome is reached.

be careful parking on yellow lines.....ensure no other restrictions apply to that specefic bit of road ie...no loading markings, stopping prohibited etc as this cancels your consession.

also , you can only park on yellows if it isnt going to cause an obstruction to free flowing traffic.
many blue badge holders have come unstuck on this in scarborough....one bus route has to turn 90deg uphill on a narrow one way road and folks have parked on yellows too near the junction and got ticketed and procecuted in court for obstructing the bus's (they really cant turn and the town stops til the driver returns.)

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks Papa John

I suspect your right, technically but unknowingly I have probably broken their rules but I think a warning notice might have been more appropriate.

I am unclear though what I should have done. As it was officially free for disabled people should I have

A. Purchased just one extra ticket alongside my blue badge entitlement for one bay

B. Purchased two tickets and not used my badge at all

C. Cleared off with my anti social vehicle and knackered knees back to the campsite as there is nowhere for me to park and drown my sorrows with my own beer and food rather than spending money in Shanklin.

I take on board what you say and would never abuse my badge and park irresponsibly just because (I think) I can. I really couldnt see any other safe place to park and thought I was being sensible and parking within the rules.

Will draft a letter tomorrow when I see what further advice develops.

Regards
Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Barryd

Yes, as already said, do contest it.

I'm not disabled, but did get ticketed, because I parked in a safe and sensible manner, behind a safety barrier, when road works had suspended parking restrictions, I thought.

My appeal was upheld, and the reply letter said as much, and then delivered a mild rebuke!!

You have already set out your appeal in your post, they will have photo's of your parking, if they work as in Shropshire. But the Senior Administrator will handle your case, not another member of the contracted out parking control lot.

I would expect it to be upheld....good luck

Nomadic:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am unclear though what I should have done. As it was officially free for disabled people should I have

A. Purchased just one extra ticket alongside my blue badge entitlement for one bay

B. Purchased two tickets and not used my badge at all

Barry

you have the same van as us so i know the length of the overhang....

if possible park in an outside bay so the overhang will sit over the grass verge etc.
the rest of the van should just about fit in the bay.

not always possible i know, but worth looking for a suitable bay.

it may also be, depending on the park operater/council , if you use a regular bay you may have to pay anyway, regardless of the blue badge.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
you have the same van as us so i know the length of the overhang....

if possible park in an outside bay so the overhang will sit over the grass verge etc.
the rest of the van should just about fit in the bay.

not always possible i know, but worth looking for a suitable bay.

it may also be, depending on the park operater/council , if you use a regular bay you may have to pay anyway, regardless of the blue badge.

I know what you mean about the grass verge and this would have been preferred but there wasnt one in this car park. It clearly stated that it was free for disabled being a council car park and I always check and dont object to paying if it states to do so for blue badge holders. I guess I can just write stating the facts I have posted on here and see what happens.

Cheers
Barry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Despite several warnings from other users on here about Hampshire’s keenness on issuing parking tickets I have still managed to get one today on the Isle of Wight.(snip)
On a different tack from other responders. Apologies if I've mis-interpreted but it looks as if you may not realise that the Isle of Wight Council is separate from Hampshire - don't want you to waste time contacting the wrong authority.

When you contest the charge you might find This Page useful. Looks like para 2 might fit the bill for you.

IoW Council have always been helpful when I have contacted them for information so if you explain your genuine mistake (as you have on here) they may well let you off the charge.

Graham

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Sorry you had to endure our traffic/parking wardens, just be grateful you don`t have to suffer them all year round.:Doh:
My wife works on the main shopping street in one of our bigger towns and can tell you how people are booked if they have a wheel on the white line in a one hour free parking zone.

I would think a suitably humble letter to the local council might get a reprieve but don`t count on it. They wonder why the tourist industry is struggling on the island, this is only one reason.

Good job you didn`t want to visit Cowes, they close car parks and build `executive` flats on them so rich people can have a second home on the island, that they may visit once or twice a year.

But, don`t get me started!:shout:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Barry

I agree with pappa.. the ticket was issued for being outside the marked bay, and even if you had purchased two tickets it would still be against the rules..

Our local council ticket cars with trailers even though they purchase two tickets.. the argument being, you would be depriving another person of a bay when it's busy.

Worth contesting but I wouldn't hold out much hope.. it's just another cross we motorhomers have to bear .. :Sad:

jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Barry

I agree with pappa.. the ticket was issued for being outside the marked bay, and even if you had purchased two tickets it would still be against the rules..

Our local council ticket cars with trailers even though they purchase two tickets.. the argument being, you would be depriving another person of a bay when it's busy.

Worth contesting but I wouldn't hold out much hope.. it's just another cross we motorhomers have to bear .. :Sad:

jim

i can see your point of view but the council would look at lost revenue more than curteousy to other users.

they arent loosing money by taking two bays if you buy two tickets.
the income is just the same and a three hour ticket is just that.....for three hours.

personally i think its pettiness.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i can see your point of view but the council would look at lost revenue more than curteousy to other users.

they arent loosing money by taking two bays if you buy two tickets.
the income is just the same and a three hour ticket is just that.....for three hours.

personally i think its pettiness.

Hi John .. It's not my point of view, one of our neighbours was given a ticket for parking in two bays with two tickets .. that was the council reply when he contested it.

The council may not lose parking revenue but the local shops would .. especially if it were say a builders van with a trailer ..

Yes, it is pettiness, it's a jobswoth's world we live in :RollEyes:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Well then what am I supposed to do? I cant park miles away because I cant walk that far. I cant buy two tickets as I may still get fined as two cars might spend more money locally. I cant use the massive row of empty coach bays as I will probably be inprissoned for that on the IOW / Hampshire. then its option C for me, go back to the campsite.

Its only £25 but thats not the point. I feel peeved that if what you say is true it wouldnt matter if I was disabled or not you cant buy two tickets as you still may get fined and you cant use your disabled badge either.

Well a lesson learned and I will be very careful where I park in future. One things for sure. The outcome of the letter will determine if we return to the IOW and indeed Hampshire in general (I have heard bad things about parking on the mainland as well). There are plenty of other counties where they are less strict and apply common sense.

Next stop Dorset and Devon. Anything I should know?

Will keep you informed!

BD

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
Has anyone been in a similar situation and if so what was the outcome? In future I will just park on the double yellow lines outside the car park or buy an additional ticket.

Cheers
Barry

Barry .... similar situation.... Exactly the same situation in the same place and probably the same car park! (probably the same parking official too).

I wrote to Isle of Wight Council and pointed out to them that my blue badge was on the screen, with the clock detailing time of arrival. I also pointed out to them that as my 'FIAT' was in fact a motorhome and was therefore not capable of shrinking into any bay it would always 'park beyond markings'. (I also suggested that if I could have 'shrunk' my motorhome I would have shrunk myself back to a size 10!).

I also pointed out to them that where there were coach bays there was very clear signage to indicate that these were for coaches ONLY.

There being no indication as to where one could park oversize vehicles as in motorhomes.

I suggested to them that next time on the Isle of Wight I would park on the double yellow lines, using the blue badge parking regulations, giving me three hours to park without fee (or penalty) and potentially causing them more hassle as although not restricting the movement of traffic it would cause some inconvenience and more dangers to pedestrians crossing their narrow roads!

I received a letter back from Mr John James, Parking Services Office and Finance Manager, Isle of Wight Council (Parking Services) informing me that:

"Having considered your comments and the facts surrounding this contravention, I am willing on this occasion, to accept your representation and I have arranged for the cancellation of this Penalty Charge Notice.
For future reference, I can confirm that in a situation that the vehicle exceeds the size of a car bay, it should be parked in a HGV/coach bay"

For your information the official was challenged by three different couples as they had seen the blue badge and I had spoken to them of my dilemna as I parked, reading the sign that said in the event of blue badge bays being full park within any bay and display the blue badge. The official appeared within 5 minutes of my parking and a local said that they do it often whenever they see a motorhome parking in the carpark knowing it will extend the bays!!!

I hope that this helps and good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Barry .... similar situation.... Exactly the same situation in the same place and probably the same car park! (probably the same parking official too).

I wrote to Isle of Wight Council and pointed out to them that my blue badge was on the screen, with the clock detailing time of arrival. I also pointed out to them that as my 'FIAT' was in fact a motorhome and was therefore not capable of shrinking into any bay it would always 'park beyond markings'. (I also suggested that if I could have 'shrunk' my motorhome I would have shrunk myself back to a size 10!).

I also pointed out to them that where there were coach bays there was very clear signage to indicate that these were for coaches ONLY.

There being no indication as to where one could park oversize vehicles as in motorhomes.

I suggested to them that next time on the Isle of Wight I would park on the double yellow lines, using the blue badge parking regulations, giving me three hours to park without fee (or penalty) and potentially causing them more hassle as although not restricting the movement of traffic it would cause some inconvenience and more dangers to pedestrians crossing their narrow roads!

I received a letter back from Mr John James, Parking Services Office and Finance Manager, Isle of Wight Council (Parking Services) informing me that:

"Having considered your comments and the facts surrounding this contravention, I am willing on this occasion, to accept your representation and I have arranged for the cancellation of this Penalty Charge Notice.
For future reference, I can confirm that in a situation that the vehicle exceeds the size of a car bay, it should be parked in a HGV/coach bay"

For your information the official was challenged by three different couples as they had seen the blue badge and I had spoken to them of my dilemna as I parked, reading the sign that said in the event of blue badge bays being full park within any bay and display the blue badge. The official appeared within 5 minutes of my parking and a local said that they do it often whenever they see a motorhome parking in the carpark knowing it will extend the bays!!!

I hope that this helps and good luck

Thats great news. Sounds like it will be the same guy. Hes a bit keen then as I thought.

It will be interesting to see if I like you get off.

Will let you know what the outcome is. Thanks very much indeed

Barry

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Next stop Dorset and Devon. Anything I should know?

BD

Hi Barry,

If you think IoW is bad then avoid Weymouth in Dorset. I used to run a B&B there on the seafront and like most towns, has a traffic problem but the local council seem to regard all vehicles as the Devil's Invention and to fine them as wherever possible. Although it pains me to say it as I think it is a lovely place, it must also be the most motorhome unfriendly place. Most parking areas (there's not many of them) don't allow motorhomes and all blue badges have to pay.

However it is definately worth challenging your ticket. We used to always advise our guests to do so when they had a reasonable case and to be fair they usually had the fine cancelled.

Garry

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Beware Torbay!!!

The notorious NCP (as was) operate here and are branded The Torbay Taliban gaining much adverse national publicity for the towns.
Hopefully common sense will prevail after April as they have been given their marching orders following sustained local opposition.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
NCP must have had all their Christmases at once. When parking was de-criminalised,they secured the lions share of contracts from local authorities, staff employed weren't the sharpest knives in the box The former traffic wardens (police staff) ,the majority became either PCSOs or were offered civvy jobs. Like them or hate them they knew their stuff and if they saw you attempting to park where you shouldn't they would tell you. The present staff will hide and then when you have gone, slap a ticket on your vehicle. And yet they deny they are on incentive payements. Either they are fibbing or they don't know the laws they are trying to uphold.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Possibly a tad off topic and bit controversial but the needs of the disabled and the needs for subsidised parking are unrelated. Where did this non-means-tested anomaly come from?
Not always good public relations to park in the prime position across two bays then climb down unassisted from your gin palace and walk off into the night without the need for a ticket.
Many able bodied drivers having just feed the machine with £7 of their income support for parking their 15 year old fiesta on a bit of grass a km from the gate can find this spectacle a bit of a throne in the side.:Angry:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Possibly a tad off topic and bit controversial but the needs of the disabled and the needs for subsidised parking are unrelated. Where did this non-means-tested anomaly come from?
Not always good public relations to park in the prime position across two bays then climb down unassisted from your gin palace and walk off into the night without the need for a ticket.
Many able bodied drivers having just feed the machine with £7 of their income support for parking their 15 year old fiesta on a bit of grass a km from the gate can find this spectacle a bit of a throne in the side.:Angry:

In some respect I agree with you. All this is new to me and even as a blue badge holder, Im not sure why we should necessarily park for free. I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I can walk with a stick for maybe up to a mile and some days 100 yards can be crippling. We went to see HMS Victory in Portsmouth and I happened to mention my disablility as I was concerned about all the steps etc. The lady said "Oh well its up to you but you do of course get a discount" Instead of it being £25 we were only charged £8.50. Not one for looking a gift horse in the mouth I paid without question (I did leave a nice donation though as well). Im not sure why this was the case. I have no objection to paying the same as everyone else if I know the rules. I still am unsure as to what exactly I need to do if this situation arrises again but will probably avoid pay and display car parks completely as sometimes even buying two tickets is no guarantee of you not being fined (so I am now informed). Normally we use a scooter but as its so cold (its really bad for my knees) we havent really used it so have to park the van as near to where we want to be as possible.

Our van is not gin palace by the way although the payload is often set to bursting with Cava and beer!

Cheers
BD

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Update

Hi all

A week or so ago I got a letter asking me to send proof that I had a blue badge. I sent off a copy straight away. This morning I received a very brief letter stating that the fine had been canceled.
Conclusion. Either the traffic warden didnt see the badge (perhaps he automatically assumed that being a MH we would be fit and able bodied) or they just wanted proof. Either way I got off.
Wont do it again though. Mind you with any luck, next stop France and MH Heaven!
Thanks for all your help
Barry

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
blue badge turned into a red letter day

Hi all

A week or so ago I got a letter asking me to send proof that I had a blue badge. I sent off a copy straight away. This morning I received a very brief letter stating that the fine had been canceled.
Conclusion. Either the traffic warden didnt see the badge (perhaps he automatically assumed that being a MH we would be fit and able bodied) or they just wanted proof. Either way I got off.
Wont do it again though. Mind you with any luck, next stop France and MH Heaven!
Thanks for all your help
Barry

Hi Barry,

Well done you and all those that gave you good advice, my daughter is disabled and has just had a ticket for parking her car in a car park near to were she works, all neccessary paperwork on display but the window had frozen over so some jobsworth idiot ticket dispenser put a fine under her window wiper.
Doooh first off she couldn`t reach it she also has parked in this car park everyday for the last 5 years so it`s not like her car wouldn`t be recognised by a regular warden.
She is currently awaiting a reply to her appeal.

Whilst you are over in Devon have a look at the carparks in Teignmouth and Dawlish, you will find on another thread on this site that they have free overnight parking.

Regards Rob and chris.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
NCP must have had all their Christmases at once. When parking was de-criminalised,they secured the lions share of contracts from local authorities, staff employed weren't the sharpest knives in the box The former traffic wardens (police staff) ,the majority became either PCSOs or were offered civvy jobs. Like them or hate them they knew their stuff and if they saw you attempting to park where you shouldn't they would tell you. The present staff will hide and then when you have gone, slap a ticket on your vehicle. And yet they deny they are on incentive payements. Either they are fibbing or they don't know the laws they are trying to uphold.

sir Donald obviously doesnt need the money from parking charges any more.....

boat2385_279724a.jpg

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
one word.....jobsworth.

more words.....

but you were technicaly outside the marked bay so the ticket will probably stand.

contest it anyway, nothing to loose and the 'pay by' limit is put on hold until an outcome is reached.

be careful parking on yellow lines.....ensure no other restrictions apply to that specefic bit of road ie...no loading markings, stopping prohibited etc as this cancels your consession.

also , you can only park on yellows if it isnt going to cause an obstruction to free flowing traffic.
many blue badge holders have come unstuck on this in scarborough....one bus route has to turn 90deg uphill on a narrow one way road and folks have parked on yellows too near the junction and got ticketed and procecuted in court for obstructing the bus's (they really cant turn and the town stops til the driver returns.)
Papajohn is quite right ,I received a ticket for obstructing the traffic.Not long after receiving a blue badge I had parked my motor home on double yellows displaying my blue badge, in my naivety I did not realise that i was making it difficult for large vehicles to negotiate the nearby junction ie.buses.I had only stopped for a short time , now i try to pick my parking spots more considerably

I do not condone the concessions on car parks even though i have a blue badge myself ,my disability doesn't prevent me from paying but I do appreciate wider bays

larger parking bays should be allocated for motor homes and camper vans due to the increase in there presence. More parking should be allocated for them on car parks and inconsiderate car owners should be ticketed if they use them.

I like many other owners would not object to paying slightly more to be able to park legitimately on car parks, without the present uncertainty of possibly receiving a ticket on the discretion of a over zealous target driven parking attendant/officer.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I thought its Christmas on the Isle of Wight, surely parking wont be an issue. How wrong was I. Still a good result in the end and a lesson learnt. I still reckon they didnt bother to look for a blue badge. Perhaps they think that anyone who has one should be driving a little blue three wheeler. I also agree that we shouldnt always get free parking. I have no problem paying for parking but if it says its free for badge holders Im not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

BD

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
defitz

Despite several warnings from other users on here about Hampshire’s keenness on issuing parking tickets I have still managed to get one today on the Isle of Wight.

Because I now suffer from Arthritis I was issued with a Blue Badge this year (so I am quite new to the rules and regs).

We parked in a pay and display at Shanklin. We could have opted to park on a double yellow line in the village but I decided that this would be irresponsible even though it would be legal as the streets are narrow and I would have probably inconvenienced other drivers.

The sign on the car park clearly stated it was free for disabled for up to 3 hours. I am aware that if your not disabled you should buy two tickets but as I am disabled I assumed that even if I take up two bays its would be free. I parked away from the nearby disabled boxes as I would have stuck out and caused an obstruction. I parked in the quite frankly near empty car park at the top out of the way occupying the two end bays but not overlapping on either side nor causing an obstruction. This would mean people could get passed and I wouldn’t get blocked in.

On my return I had a parking ticket for £25 rising to £50 if not paid in 14 days on the windscreen with the reason being “Parked beyond the bay markings”. Well I don’t think I was as I was in two bays but within the markings. If it had said free for disabled in one bay I would have bought a ticket for the other bay but it didn’t.

I intend to contest this. It seems a little bit over zealous to issue a ticket to a holiday maker who is disabled at Christmas but there you go!

Cheers
Barry
remember-you too have a vote
Cheap grey suits-OUT!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread