Newbies...and wondering how.... (1 Viewer)

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
to work the remote satelite dish thingy!

Hi guys,
Just before Xmas we purchased an 05 plate Autotrail cheyenne 840SE.
Now, its lovely and all BUT we have a few issues that we are hoping you can help with.

1. We need to purchase a generator. Any ideas what sort of spec we would need (not big users, just TV, etc) Any any links to some January sale bargains???

2. It has remote satellite dish.....we dont know how to use it!! The instructions are rubbish. Is there anywhere on line that does the "dummies instructions"?

South Wales area by the way.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

Tell us which remote dish you have.

we have just got new to us MH with Oyster on it and spent Christmas working it out from German instructions.

May be able to help

Cheers Alan

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Do you really need a generator?

If touring this time of year then it probably is required but if touring during brighter periods of the year then adding a solar panel and extra batteries could be just as good.

We are fairly new, collected our Autoquest in June this year and have added a 2nd battery, we plan to add a solar panel before the spring/summer period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We live semi full time in our van so need a generator as cant always get EHU, we use a KIPOR 2600 just right for our needs, we also have 80 watt solar panel, so that might worth considering.:Smile:
Hope you all have a much fun out of van as we do and dont forget to wave to other m/homers.................it might be us :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Regards Ray n Geri:Cool:

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Busydaffodill, by remote satellite do you mean one that is mounted permanently to the roof and if so what type is it, see if we can be of more help then, welcome to the forum.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
busydaffodil

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
Tell us which remote dish you have.

we have just got new to us MH with Oyster on it and spent Christmas working it out from German instructions.

May be able to help

Cheers Alan

Hi alan, Oyster sounds right, though the instructions are in the motorhome some miles away. Can I get back to you?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
busydaffodil

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
Hi Guys......trouble reading the replies! I see there are 4 replies but when I click on my post, it only shows my post, and none of the replies. I've tried fiddling with website since and managed to reply to 1, but dont know how I did it. I also cannot see the response.
HELP!

to work the remote satelite dish thingy!

Hi guys,
Just before Xmas we purchased an 05 plate Autotrail cheyenne 840SE.
Now, its lovely and all BUT we have a few issues that we are hoping you can help with.

1. We need to purchase a generator. Any ideas what sort of spec we would need (not big users, just TV, etc) Any any links to some January sale bargains???

2. It has remote satellite dish.....we dont know how to use it!! The instructions are rubbish. Is there anywhere on line that does the "dummies instructions"?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
busydaffodil

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
Ok, now I can see them! This is very weirs....and I am pretty internet savvy!!

Satellite is fixed to the roof, is motorised and remote operated. Oyster shoulds familiar.
Cannot find the wires from the main box and dont even know how to run it.

Will look into solar, though genny is pretty user friendly for OH who is into engines and things!

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi guys,

Hi, why not try the Planet suitcase genny, comes in three versions 1Kw at £455, 2KW at £585 and 2.7Kw at £685. all of course less Funsters Discount:thumb:

Suitcase size and quiet running, two year warranty, uses about 1 litre an hour. Order it tomorrow and beat the VAT man!

Peter

Attachments

• planet3__40797.jpg
    planet3__40797.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

Hi alan, Oyster sounds right, though the instructions are in the motorhome some miles away. Can I get back to you?

No problem get back any time mean while if you Google oyster you will find full instuctions but about thirty pages long.

When you have fiddled just ask and remember half the fun is fiddling

Cheers Alan

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry cant help with the sat system as mines a manual setup but the genny.......

dont think 'i only need a small one because......'
get the biggest you can afford.
a 600w will be fine for the tv etc but when it comes to hair driers, kettles, fan heaters etc you need power.

i bought a 2.2kw (2.6kva) Kipor so i can run the aircon 'off hookup' but it comes in handy for the bigger stuff that a small one wont run.

my Kipor was around £440.
i also have a 120w solar panel for the same money and that is more useful than the genny albeit 12v.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Will look into solar, though genny is pretty user friendly for OH who is into engines and things!

If you are wild camping on your own then gennies are OK but if staying on aires or sites etc its not so user friendly for others near you?

Nothing worse than sitting outside your van and listening to gennies from other vans.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back