Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Finally there is a bill to go before the Spanish Parliament in the new year to stop the smoking in bars and restaurants.:thumb::thumb: It will hopefully get rid of the ridiculous please yourself attitude which prevails at the moment. However it remains to be seen if it gets passed and whether the Spanish take any notice of it . ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
There are already smoke free restaurants, bars and cafes in Spain and nobody takes a blind bit of notice despite the existence of large banning signs.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
If a bit of common sense prevails they will look at how banning smoking in public places has affected the licenced industry in this country with Pubs closing down at the rate of five to seven a day....every week. Had Pubs gone back to the 'old style' of the Smoke Room, these Pubs would still be in business today.

I don't drink except on holiday out of this country, so it doesn't really bother me one jot what they do in Pubs here. But there are people who smoke and like a pint, yet they are treated like lepers.

I work with quite a few guys who are non-smokers (big difference between them and the 'anti-smoker' set), who regularly drink at their favourite local, but they all say the smoking ban has had a very bad affect on their Pub with the landlord struggling to make ends meet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It will hopefully get rid of the ridiculous please yourself attitude which prevails at the moment.

As already said, it will only lead to more cafe's and bars closing .. kind 'a like shooting yourself in the foot .. :Doh:

I was managing a country pub when the ban came into force in June 97 .. trade stayed steady until the end of summer ... then it died, and I mean dead as a do do , guess what .. pubs now closed ..and all because the promised NON smoking punter never materialised .. so everyone lost out, a two hundred year old pub gone for ever .. jobs lost, building going rot, but I guess all the non smoking non drinking public will be happy :RollEyes:

If only we could have more of a 'please yourself' attitude in the UK .. instead of having a nanny state dictating our every breath .. :Angry:

jim

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I was managing a country pub when the ban came into force in June 97 .. trade stayed steady until the end of summer ... then it died, and I mean dead as a do do , guess what .. pubs now closed ..and all because the promised NON smoking punter never materialised .. so everyone lost out, a two hundred year old pub gone for ever .. jobs lost, building going rot, but I guess all the non smoking non drinking public will be happy :RollEyes:

If only we could have more of a 'please yourself' attitude in the UK .. instead of having a nanny state dictating our every breath .. :Angry:
Exactly.

Just where are all these fanatical anti-smokers who spoke out so openly about coming back to their Pub once the smokers had gone? The expected pilgrimage just never happened.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I have to agree i'm fed up of being left on my own in the pub. New years resolution start smoking and join my pals::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Merry Christmas smokers ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was managing a country pub when the ban came into force in June 97 .. trade stayed steady until the end of summer ... then it died,
jim

Was it smoke or drink drive or both. Probably both.

We love a tapas bar here, before the ban we'd arrive home stinking of smoke, took the edge off the meal. Now it's great. We don't go any more or any less. But if they lower the drink limit then we certainly won't dine out much.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Was it smoke or drink drive or both. Probably both.

Definitely the NO Smoking law Brian, the car park was always busy, and yes probably some drove back home via the narrow lanes under the influence, but with the onset of winter, trade dwindled away and a beer garden loses a lot of it's appeal when it peeing down .. :RollEyes:

The pub could easily have been arranged to accommodate both smoker and non smoker .. the law is an ass ..

How it was..
Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Definitely the NO Smoking law Brian,

Fair enough Jim.

I'm stuck in the middle here. Hate cigarette smoke but I have sympathy for anyone who lost their livelihood from a "tabloid pressure" law.

Yes, with some air-conditioning there could have been a compromise, if buildings were unsuited or funds not available then tough.

The big ( sick ) laugh is we *need* more deaths. The planet is dying of it's human infestation. Which is what I think every time is see the like of "Reduce the speed limit to 10mph and we'll save 3 lives a year". No you dumb idiots, make it 100mph.

How times have changed..... take note of the bar...

Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Was overwintering in Spain when they brought in the no smoking ban in bars,resteraunts.
It was 1st Jan, cant quite remember what year.
The first 2 or 3 weeks everyone stood by the law, then we had bad weather, everyone started to smoke in the bars again,then we had the signs go up on the doors, smoking allowed.
Same thing happend here in Holland,as soon as bar owners started to lose money,the ashtrays came back on the bar,only difference here is you pay 1 euro if you smoke, that goes into a fund just incase they get a fine.
Bars full again,BINGO.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Was overwintering in Spain when they brought in the no smoking ban in bars,resteraunts. It was 1st Jan, cant quite remember what year. The first 2 or 3 weeks everyone stood by the law, then we had bad weather, everyone started to smoke in the bars again,then we had the signs go up on the doors, smoking allowed. Same thing happend here in Holland,as soon as bar owners started to lose money,the ashtrays came back on the bar,only difference here is you pay 1 euro if you smoke, that goes into a fund just incase they get a fine.
Bars full again,BINGO.:thumb:
Plain common sense approach certainly pays dividends for both the customer and the landlord. Both are happy. One enjoys their relaxation time whilst the other profits from it and keeps their business going.

Like most, I still remember when you could smoke almost anywhere within reason here in this country and absolutely nobody gave a flying fig then. But once the smoke ban had been introduced, (some) peoples attitudes changed overnight. Yet these were the very same people who only the day before were perfectly fine and ok talking with you whilst you smoked a cigarette.

I was enjoying a meal at a small bar in Austria this year. The weather was nice so naturally I was sitting outside as I like to have a smoke with a beer or coffee after my meal. But the weather suddenly changed and it began to rain. The owner came out and invited me to indoors but I pointed to my cigarette. She simply smiled and said 'it's ok....you must come inside'. I was amazed to find that others already inside were also smoking and there were even ashtrays on the tables. I had become so conditioned to living in my own nanny state country with Smoke Police lurking in every corner waiting to pounce.....I just wasn't used to relaxing!

Result being the time I spent in Austria, I went back to that same bar for my evening meal irrespective of the weather.

Here in the UK they may well have got rid of the smoky atmosphere in Pubs.....but they also got rid of the atmosphere itself as well, not to mention the trade.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Amend the Smoking Ban

Amend the Smoking Ban Campaign.

This makes sense to me:

Amendments which should be considered include, but are not limited to:

• Adopting the Spanish model – whereby venues with limited floor space can choose to be smoking or non-smoking, but venues larger than 1002 metres can have a designated smoking room if this constitutes less than 30% of total floor space, is fully partitioned and separated from the rest of the venue, and can be wholly avoided by non-smokers.

• Allowing the smoking of tobacco only in venues that can secure a licence by ensuring an agreed level of ventilation and air quality in both smoking and non-smoking areas.

• Allowing some discretion for local authorities in determining the nature and extent of smoking regulations.

Link Removed

OP
OP
Dreamchaserrv

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
The reason why the new law is being proposed in Spain is that the present law does not work. The segregation of smoking and non smoking areas is most often ignored even in the few places that have gone to the expense of partitions and extracter systems, which rarely work are clogged up or just not switched on. There is nothing worse than eating a meal sandwiched between a group of smokers or having your clothes stink of smoke.
As a former licensee of 2 country pubs the drink driving laws , high prices and running costs have had a greater effect on trade than the smoking ban.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The reason why the new law is being proposed in Spain is that the present law does not work.
If implemented and enforced......exactly who will benefit? The Pub, the customer, or the Government? If you think about it all will actually lose out.

The present law which is strictly enforced here....doesn't work. Time has proved that. Neither for the landlord nor what would appear to be a very large percentage of customers. The non-smoking drinkers who pledged a return to their locals and fill to capacity simply amounted to little more than a few anti-smokers blowing off hot air and not much else.

As for 'clothes stinking of smoke', I agree tobacco smoke naturally does leave an odour. When I used to work in the Hotel industry my clothes permanently stunk of food and alcohol, both of which actually do leave a permanently ingrained odour. And for me personally, now a 'part time drinker' consuming maybe little more than 10 or 15 pints per year, (my last beer was in Germany in July of this year) there is nothing worse than being 'sandwiched' between people stinking of beer!

The key word missing here is tolerance. People here show very little of that.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The reason why the new law is being proposed in Spain is that the present law does not work. The segregation of smoking and non smoking areas is most often ignored even in the few places that have gone to the expense of partitions and extracter systems, which rarely work are clogged up or just not switched on. There is nothing worse than eating a meal sandwiched between a group of smokers or having your clothes stink of smoke.
As a former licensee of 2 country pubs the drink driving laws , high prices and running costs have had a greater effect on trade than the smoking ban.
I agree that with country pubs the drink driving and higher prices have had an effect on trade,thats why most country pubs have turned to the food trade.
But drink driving laws have never effected town centre pubs,and there has been for several years a price war with town centre pubs,so prices are cheaper in town centre pubs where I live, than they have been for years.
Its the no smoking ban that has destroyed a pub culture that was the envy of the rest of the world,nothing else.
British pubs have tried to be copied all over the world,in varieing degrees of sucsess,so we must have been doing somthing right.
Its a greet pity that we are fast losing a great part of our heratage through European laws,re no smoking, WE ARE THE ONLY COUNTRY ABIDING BY THESE LAWS, and we are losing our local pubs becouse of it,
Nothing to do with drink driving laws,we have had them for donkeys years,I have been driving for almost 50 years and it was always illegal to drink and drive.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we've been going to benidorm for the last 25 years stopping in hotels.
now since the smoking ban has been on in hotels, must be about 5 years but can't be certain,
the smoking ban in the hotels has been strictly ahered to and people go outside to smoke.
but the hotels are still full.
and the bars where you can smoke are relitively empty.
we go at this time of year (december and janruary) and you can go in any bar and they are quite empty, unless STICKY VICKY is on .
we are there in our motorhome for the first time this year, and will be spending our nights in our favourite hotels dancing.
and also smoke free.
leaving the bars empty for the smokers.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
we've been going to benidorm for the last 25 years stopping in hotels.
now since the smoking ban has been on in hotels, must be about 5 years but can't be certain,
the smoking ban in the hotels has been strictly ahered to and people go outside to smoke.
but the hotels are still full.
and the bars where you can smoke are relitively empty.
we go at this time of year (december and janruary) and you can go in any bar and they are quite empty, unless STICKY VICKY is on .
we are there in our motorhome for the first time this year, and will be spending our nights in our favourite hotels dancing.
and also smoke free.
leaving the bars empty for the smokers.
Have a look around you, the campsites are relativly empty so thats why the bars are empty.
I overwintered in Bdorm for 10 years and if you were not there end of September,you strudled to get a pitch,now you can take your pick.
I agree that smoking should not be alowed in hotels,resterants,but a beer and a smoke go together.
One other thing,its a completely different thing to sit outside a bar in Bdorm in winter and have a beer and smoke in the depths of winter than it is in Manchester.
Slightly different climate.:thumb:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
hi snowbird.
i hope the campsites are fairly quiet.
but all the empty spaces on these campsites would only fill one or two hotels.

we used to go in cafe benidorm and you couldn't get a seat after 9pm now it's empty at 11pm.
it wasn't frequented by campers but people who went year after year stopping in hotels,
you must have seen how many hotels there are in benidorm.
we used to go past el raco and the one over the road on the number 10 bus and motorhomes were queing up on the car parks for a base on the sites.
but the bars were still relitively empty.
like i stated the hotels are bulging at night (non smoking) while the bars literally over the road with entertainment and cheaper drinks are empty.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Had Pubs gone back to the 'old style' of the Smoke Room, these Pubs would still be in business today.

there are people who smoke and like a pint, yet they are treated like lepers.

they all say the smoking ban has had a very bad affect on their Pub with the landlord struggling to make ends meet.

Bulletguy I am a non-smoker not anti-smoker and I have been treated like an ash tray by smokers in pubs for many years. Not anymore though, I now arrive home from the pub smelling as sweet as when I left. My only confusion is why this ban didn't come into effect much sooner.
The change in drinking habits runs far deeper than smokers would like us believe.
What were smoking rooms, this would suggest that other parts of the pub were smoke free.:Blush:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Interesting comments, taking them literally it would appear only smokers ever went in pubs! Country pubs have been dying for years, my B-in-L was a dreyman for Tolly-Cobbold in the early 80's and remarked on it then, so to blame the anti-smoking laws for their continuing demise is untrue, its just increased the rate of closure.

Social life in Britain is changing, men no-longer routinely go down the pub at night, and its not just cheap supermarket beer that is the reason, TV, the Internet, wives less willing to put up with being left alone, and a desire by many to see more of their family.

If I went into a pub with a nice fresh turd on my shoulder, I would very quickly attract some complaints, and get shown the door, so why should a minority (around 20% of UK males smoke) of smokers be any different. Stop your whining, if you want to praticise an unsocial habit, get outside and do it.

Olley

Al1

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
Bulletguy I am a non-smoker not anti-smoker and I have been treated like an ash tray by smokers in pubs for many years. Not anymore though, I now arrive home from the pub smelling as sweet as when I left. My only confusion is why this ban didn't come into effect much sooner.
The change in drinking habits runs far deeper than smokers would like us believe.
What were smoking rooms, this would suggest that other parts of the pub were smoke free.:Blush:

I am a non-drinker and am fed up being treated like a drinker by drinkers in pubs for many years. I wish they would ban drinking in pubs so that I could go home smelling as sweet as when I left. My only confusion is why this ban hasn't been tried as yet?:roflmto::roflmto:

Do you really think you smell sweet after a nights drinking?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seasons greeting to all
Al

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If I went into a pub with a nice fresh turd on my shoulder, I would very quickly attract some complaints, and get shown the door, so why should a minority (around 20% of UK males smoke) of smokers be any different. Stop your whining, if you want to praticise an unsocial habit, get outside and do it.

Olley

Hi Olley

If you have a turd on your shoulder you need to see about your plumbing mate either that or the Gulls round your neck of the woods are on a bad diet :ROFLMAO:

Around 20% smoke, but that figure rises to nearly 60% of drinkers .. but these figures are academic, it also affects non drinkers like me who used to pop into a pub with the wife for an afternoon coffee.. or bar snack.. but no more..

Even if I didn't smoke, I still say the no smoking law was ill thought out, a sledge hammer to crack a nut, it has done more damage than good..

jim

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Exactly.
Just where are all these fanatical anti-smokers who spoke out so openly about coming back to their Pub once the smokers had gone? The expected pilgrimage just never happened.

Not sure which pubs you use but all the pubs I use are still full of smokers, they sit chat drink have a yarn and enjoy the smoke free atmosphere, when they feel the need they take their drink out to the smoke room provided and have a fag then back to the bar. Sorry what exactly do you find difficult or offensive about that? Smokers are happier non-smokers are happier it’s a win win.
It’s the drink driving situation that is leading to out of the way pubs closing not the smoking ban. How do all these smokers and non-smokers get to these pubs to spend their cash?
Accept it the situation is not going to change for the selfish minority who can’t sit for longer than 30secs without a fag between their fingers. You are living in the past. This generation of smokers don’t need a constant dummy in their mouth to enjoy themselves. They prefer not to smell like an ashtray. :RollEyes:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am a non-drinker and am fed up being treated like a drinker by drinkers in pubs for many years. I wish they would ban drinking in pubs so that I could go home smelling as sweet as when I left. My only confusion is why this ban hasn't been tried as yet?Al

Are you sure that you are taking this thread seriously Al:Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
when they feel the need they take their drink out to the smoke room provided

Smoke rooms ???? if only ... if there is one at your local it's illegal.

and alcohol .. . is that not also a crutch or dummy ?
ohh silly me, I forgot, people drink alcohol to be sociable not for the effect .. :Doh:

Last edited:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i think some of you on here need to go outside for a smoke

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As already said, it will only lead to more cafe's and bars closing .. kind 'a like shooting yourself in the foot .. :Doh:

jim

if you mean you were running a pub in the uk Jim, it was 1st July 2007 not june '97.

you must have jumped the gun by 10 years and 1 month.
no wonder the pub closed down....:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Smoke rooms ???? if only ... if there is one at your local it's illegal.

and alcohol .. . is that not also a crutch or dummy ?
ohh silly me, I forgot, people drink alcohol to be sociable not for the effect .. :Doh:
Maybe this is buttons idea of a 'room'?

Link Removed

4hvyo2.jpg

This is what meets the regulations. Note the open plan and comfortable seating. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

i realise your reply is in a sarcastic vein but its true.

if drinking is a social event then why drink alcohol.....just as easy to drink water or soft drinks to be sociable.

alcohol gets you pissed and thats the reason alcohol is brewed.....to give a feel-good effect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back