Miles Per Gallon (1 Viewer)

J

Jim Brand.

Deleted User
With the latest rise in fuel prices.How can we squeeze more miles distance per gallon from our motorhomes ? Careful driving at aMax 60 mph ?Or maybe a
Chipped engine ? Additives ? Has anyone out there any tips ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Jim
there is no better remedy than the light right foot The best consumption figures are always quoted at around 55 to 58 mph but its a fact if you did your Journey at 30 mph it would use less fuel overall
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
another way of saveing fule is not to use your cruise controll as it canot see inclines as well as your foot can:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
dave

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi
Your engine uses the least amount of fuel at 56mph so sticking to that will
reduce fuel consumption to the minimum without fuss.
Personally having driven a large vehicle slowly all-day at work i just can't
do-it.
Example....home to watermouth cove-Devon 1 tank of diesel = me driving :Doh:
Return trip Sheree driving half-a-tank :Smile:
Perhaps get the ladies to do all the driving while us blokes drink beer and
navigate? saves the cost of a sat-nav to :ROFLMAO:

INCOMING.....run-away

........nige

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i have tried 50 mph @ 2000 rpm but think the sweet spot is about 58 mph @ 2250 rpm as at this speed it's not so keen to change down on hills.

I use overdrive at all times except when using the gearbox for braking on hill.

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
another way of saveing fule is not to use your cruise controll as it canot see inclines as well as your foot can:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
dave

I use my cruise control all the time,::bigsmile: I do 90kph up hill and down dale I won't tell you what the MPG is as I don't like to see grown men cry.:whatthe:

Don.

PS my foot can't see.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I get the best fuel returns at 55 to 58 on cruise control
My favourite speed is 65ish it just flows along beautifully but does use a bit more fuel.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
No one gonna say what they get:secret::whistle:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
ror...i know you left me for dead on the m42 i stuck to my 55 mph an got there befor you:thumb: ok so you stoped for fule but if you kept to 55 mph we would have been blocking the site entrance

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
We get 9.8 mpg overloaded & towing a Smart.

Bear in mind that nearly all of the fuel you burn on a straight & level road is used to push air out of the way, and that the calculation for aerodynamic drag includes a 'velocity cubed' term.

This means that to go twice as fast you need 8 times the power (or petrol).

Best way to optimize fuel is not to use cruise control on hills and to keep your speed to 50mph max. And to strap a raw egg to the gas pedal!

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since we got our bus in March we have recorded every fill up and every mile. We get 12.5 mpg overall. We are not overloaded but we do tow a smart car on a trailer.

We travel at whatever speed we feel comfortable doing at the time and we try to always use cruise control on the motorways set at 70 if not towing and just over 60 if we are towing. That way we won't go too fast!

We have a Caterpillar Diesel Pusher with an Allinson six speed auto box

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
depenes , on a run on lpg 10-12 about 13 on petrol,but mine is just under 6 tonnes yours is about 55 ton to look at it ,would not like to see it in my mirror scare the life out of me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
depenes , on a run on lpg 10-12 about 13 on petrol,but mine is just under 6 tonnes yours is about 55 ton to look at it ,would not like to see it in my mirror scare the life out of me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Scares the life out of John, have you never seen his face when he's driving! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BGD

Banned
Aug 20, 2007
Costa Blanca, Spain.
Funster No
A tad under 29 mpg average over several months - on mainly the Spanish equivalent of A roads.

BUT, at a cruising speed of 80 to 85 kmph (about 50 to 55 mph) accoring to speedo - which probably equates to just below 50 mph really.

Exustrek

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
Biddulph, Stoke-On-Trent
Funster No
Driving style - relaxed - cruising speed - 60mph

Our first van 2.8 Ducato, 6.5m, 3400kg, overcab coachbuilt, 18,000 recorded miles, returned an average of 29mpg.

Our current van 2.8 Ducato, 7.3m, 3500kg overcab coachbuilt, fitted roofbox, 7,000 recorded miles, returns an average of 26mpg.

I've read somewhere that mpg improves once the engine has 'loosened' up a bit.

Do you reckon we'd see a 10% improvement if we lost the roofbox?

My pay packet wouldn't stretch to 10mpg!!!

Bryan

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
We have a Timberland Freedom LWB Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD 3,500KG MAM.

After having the Van Aaken smart Box fitted in April 2005 for £423 I decided to do a fuel consumption check on a 4200 mile trip around the Iberian Peninsula. We normally cruise at about 90 KPH (usually the van is fully loaded 3500kgs) and with the cruise control set we found that we did not have to change down for the hills which we would have expected to have change down on before the box was fitted.

I tried to keep an accurate check when refueling, It's difficult at times when you are trying to fill the tank right to the brim. The 4200 miles on the continent returned the following:-

Overall 33.08 MPG

Best 36.25 MPG

Worse 27.73 MPG

On a previous trip to France (1400 mile) before the Smart box was fitted our
overall MPG was 30.34.

I must point out the smart box was fitted for convenience rather than fuel economy.

We have got to the stage in life now where we don't charge about anymore, well not often anyway, we also practice defensive driving. We have both found that our reactions are not what they used to be. I have been driving world wide since 1952 and Maureen since 1967.

We consider the smart box money well spent. We use the van a lot (50,000 miles in four years) mainly on the continent.

I spoke to my insurers before the work went ahead and they were quite happy.

If you want any more info see http://www.vanaaken.com/europe/?pagename=smartbox at present their site appears to be down.

Due to age and disability I cannot manage on long trips without the cruise control. I should really have an automatic box until they bring a RHD one in I'll soldier on.

Don

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I was reading in a Local (Costa Blanca Freebie) newspaper that Fuel is MORE expensive in the Summer. Why? The mechanic went on to explain about the expansion of fuel during warmer periods. You get more fuel for your money if you fill up during the Winter. :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
:Cool: I was reading in a Local (Costa Blanca Freebie) newspaper that Fuel is MORE expensive in the Summer. Why? The mechanic went on to explain about the expansion of fuel during warmer periods. You get more fuel for your money if you fill up during the Winter. :ROFLMAO:

or

Its got loads of tourist there to fleece:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
To be honest I have absolutely no Idea how much I get. I have been told by people who should know that I can expect a best of 9 mpg if I stick to 50/55mph. But... I cant keep her there, she is an 11 ton 8.1L beastie and she just wants to run, she will sit at 75 all day if you have credit on your visa.

If you are too light on the throttle as Geo suggests, it means that the front end doesn't come up as you accelerate away and I need to feel that:Smile: and the V8 has to be doing 3500 revs before you can hear it, and I just can't get enough of that soft growl, it is sooo sexy::bigsmile:

MPG whose counting... not me:Cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
fast flowing rivers have got to me a good way to save fuel, as long as they are flowing the way your headed::bigsmile:

washedaway.jpg

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
MPG whose counting... not me:Cool:

I used to have a boat the could consume 25 to 30 GALLONS PER HOUR under full throttle.

Also when i leave home it cost me £100 a day to buy care in for my dad:Doh::Doh::cry:

I count now sadly as my pockets are not so deep:cry::cry:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back