LPG In Cold Weather (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Hi

Has anyone had trouble with using LPG in cold weather?

My tank (underslung) is full, but I cant get any gas out of it from the cooker, fridge etc. Basically, the gas does not appear to be boiling (gassing).

I know this is an issue with butane, but LPG is 95% propane, and thus there should not be an issue!

I was in europe in the summer where the butane content is higher, so there is likely a good deal more butane than the ~5% that apparentely goes into LPG in the UK. However, as far as I know, the butane content wont gas, but the propane content will, so whatever the temp, and even if (discounting 80% cutoffs) there is 10L of Butane in a 20L tank, there should still be 10L of combustable propane available...

At the moment, it looks like I have to cancel a planned trip to Mull as I cant cook or heat the van or water etc!

Rather anoying! My only other route is to ditch the underslung tank and go back to using bottled, but thats a days work at least!

Anyone offer any advice?

Nigel

Last edited:

RichyB

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
Staffs UK
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
3 months
Hi,
Yes, I'm experiencing problems at the moment. My LPG system is working ok, but is causing a strange sickly smell inside the MH. According to others, the smell isn't uncombusted LPG, but it is a strong sickly smell (like pooh!), noticable only when the heating is working. I've got it booked in with Truma for early Jan to be checked over. The problem has only appeared since this really cold spell. it was working fine before.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Be very very careful, as while CO has in itself no smell quiet often the process of production/making it does, i would certainly get it checked before you attempt to use it again, may be a bit over cautious but you only live once.

Hi,
Yes, I'm experiencing problems at the moment. My LPG system is working ok, but is causing a strange sickly smell inside the MH. According to others, the smell isn't uncombusted LPG, but it is a strong sickly smell (like pooh!), noticable only when the heating is working. I've got it booked in with Truma for early Jan to be checked over. The problem has only appeared since this really cold spell. it was working fine before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Depending on where you bought your LPG it it could be a 50/50 mix .. (see quote) but all that is a bit academic..

I can only suggest buying a propane bottle and Teeing into the line either before the LPG regulator using a propane pigtail,( such is used on RVs using an ExtendaStay fitting ) or after the tank regulator using a bottle regulator ..

Autogas consists of propane or propane and butane. Residential LPG (used for domestic cooking and heating) consists of propane only.

Fluctuations in the relative levels of propane and butane in autogas is not an unusual phenomenon; it is evident in autogas mixes used in other parts of the world, such as Europe.

Certain regional and rural areas are provided with autogas that consists of only propane so that both the domestic and automotive needs can be met with the one tanker load.

The environmental gains from placing constraints on the amount of propane or butane in a mix (ie. 50% butane and 50% propane mix) are not significant enough to limit the autogas market to a set composition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Hi

2 Weeks ago after having similar issues, I put 10L in the tank (20L tank -> 16L with 80% cut-off). Could have been 6L of pure butane remaining in the tank at time of refill.

That 10L should have been close to 100% propane. Bought at a shell garage in Stirling, Scotland, I would at least expect a 'winter mix'.

I guess I can re-install a propane bottle together with the old 30mBar regulator and then have a changeover valve under the sink where the gas manifold is. The regulator on the external tank is under the van next to the tank. The changeover valve would fit before the manifold under the sink...

Looks like a delayed holiday...!

Nigel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
2 Weeks ago after having similar issues, I put 10L in the tank (20L tank -> 16L with 80% cut-off). Could have been 6L of pure butane remaining in the tank at time of refill.

That 10L should have been close to 100% propane. Bought at a shell garage in Stirling, Scotland, I would at least expect a 'winter mix'.

I guess I can re-install a propane bottle together with the old 30mBar regulator and then have a changeover valve under the sink where the gas manifold is. The regulator on the external tank is under the van next to the tank. The changeover valve would fit before the manifold under the sink...

Nigel

Sounds like a good plan Nigel ..

another option is to fit a BBQ take off point, that can be used to connect the propane bottle ..

jim

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
As is realised with using auto LPG that is targeted at liquid take-off systems we have a serious issue with our vapour take-off systems in that the Butane part "bulks-up" in the storage tank.
As the vapour pressure of butane is lower than that of propane throughout our ambient range, then we are never using our butane whilst we have any of the propane left.

So even in the summer it could not be being used up if we habitually keep topping up.

Therefore we have to deplete our storage tank(s) at times when the butane can be used [basically >6C for free-gassing] if we want to enter the winter months with high capacities of propane.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Nigel
You say your regulater is external on your tank.
As with US RVs it is not unheard of for the regulater to get gummed up,or frozen.
I think they discharge at times,becouse mine has a wire mesh on it that does from time to time give problems.
My regulater is directly in line with all the crap that the wheels throw up so I had to fit a guard to deflect the crap.
First check around the regulater,before you do anything.
We have been in temp of minus 15c and the tank has not frozen.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi this problem seems very curious, none of the technical details regarding propane/butane mix, agree with what some motorhomers believe. All the ones I have found just say that the two gases mix and depending on the ratio reduce or increase the boiling point, see here for one: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-butane-mix-d_1043.html

If you look at the chart a 50/50 mix has a boil temp of -20F/-28C so if the outside temp dipped to say -10C I wonder if as you drew the gas of, its temp would drop to close to this figure? I believe they reported temps of -16C yesterday in the Sottish Highlands. Only way to tell would be knowing the mix and measuring the tank temp.

Very wasteful I know, but if it was me I would go somewhere quiet but windy, and blow the gas off, and then refill, hoping to get a mix of more propane to butane

Olley

Last edited:

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Hi this problem seems very curious, none of the technical details regarding propane/butane mix, agree with what some motorhomers believe. All the ones I have found just say that the two gases mix and depending on the ratio reduce or increase the boiling point, see here for one: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-butane-mix-d_1043.html

If you look at the chart a 50/50 mix has a boil temp of -20F/-28C so if the outside temp dipped to say -10C I wonder if as you drew the gas of, its temp would drop to close to this figure? I believe they reported temps of -16C yesterday in the Sottish Highlands. Only way to tell would be knowing the mix and measuring the tank temp.

Very wasteful I know, but if it was me I would go somewhere quiet but windy, and blow the gas off, and then refill, hoping to get a mix of more propane to butane

Olley

Very interesting Olley and thanks for the link; however my user experience puts me in the camp that thinks that the propane boils off first. Something is certainly choking up the gassing off when things get cold.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Olley

Hi Olley.. good link ..

Irrespective of the temperature, the SG must play a part when the two gasses in the liquid state are in storage, from your link..

SG of Butane - C4H10 2.0061

SG of Propane - C3H8 1.5219

That would suggest to me that the as the liquid Butane is almost 25% denser it will settle to the bottom of the vessel.. ?

jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim the SG would play apart if, the two liquids didn't mix, but from what I have read they do, bit like putting antifreeze (ethylene glycol) in your engine, it mixes nicely with water.

If you look at that link at a 50/50 ratio at 32F you only have 7.6psi, at -10F its only 3.5psi, which would give problems I would have thought as our regulators are set at around 28mbars or 4psi.

A case where the science doesn't match our experience, but maybe we expect to much, and the science is correct.

Olley

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim the SG would play apart if, the two liquids didn't mix, but from what I have read they do, bit like putting antifreeze (ethylene glycol) in your engine, it mixes nicely with water.

If you look at that link at a 50/50 ratio at 32F you only have 7.6psi, at -10F its only 3.5psi, which would give problems I would have thought as our regulators are set at around 28mbars or 4psi.

A case where the science doesn't match our experience, but maybe we expect to much, and the science is correct.

Olley

Hi Olley .. good academic discussion for Xmas eve :roflmto:

Here is a good link with plenty of stuff to digest.. which would support your argument ..
FAQ - Fuel Mixtures

Now let's think about what happens when we mix butane and propane liquids. They will mix quite happily as both are non-polar. With all that jostling around, many of the bonds between butane molecules will be broken and replaced by bonds between butane and propane molecules. The bonding energies are so similar the molecules don't really care. The resulting liquid will look similar to pure liquid butane for instance. It fits the definition of an 'ideal solution' just as nicely as it conforms to 'mixture'.

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Olley your scientific findings that seem to run counter to what we know happens in practice got me doing a bit of research and I found another interesting article.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Mixtures.htm

Reading the bit, "operation of an upright stove" is particularly relevant.

What the article supports is both the scientific you found and the real life we find:
Indeed the vapour pressure of the mix is effected by the mix ratio, but in use the propane does in fact deplete faster than the butane. Some of the butane does come off at below butane's gassing temperature but only whilst there is some of the fast depleting propane.

Worth a read. Cheers John

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi john very interesting link, thanks, it would appear that while the propane boils off, the butane streams off at a slower rate, so over time the ratio of propane to butane changes.

Then the only answer is to provide some form of heating, maybe a few turns if 8mm copper pipe wound around the tank, with hot water being circulated through it. mind you if the tank ain't gassing how do you heat the water?:Smile:

Olley

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Interesting thread this - we are parked up now for a month or 3 for the winter and hooked up to a 47Kg propane Bottle. The other night I had to change bottles yet I know there are a couple of Kg left in it . The one I am now hooked up to has a layer of ice on it at least a inch thick - the temperature outside is about -7 C and we have had freezing fog and strangely a couple of minutes of rain which promptly turned all about into a skating rink - So as I understand it pure propane gases at -42 C and butane at 0 C and the normal Propane /Butane mix gases down to -20 are they for any reason adding more butane to the bottle gas /autogas these days ? it used to be 90% propane 5% butane and 5% other gases. I cannot find any info on that apart from the fact that as been said on here that in warm climates they will go up to 50/50 which I would have thought would automatically bring the gassing point closer to 0 C

OP
OP
V
Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Hi all, and thanks for all the input.

I've just been out under the van and undone the regulator from the tank - turn the tap, and I can hear gas so I think I've been barking up the wrong tree.

Connected that back up and undid the other side, and nothing comes out.

I've put the regulator on top of a radiator, and a whole load of water coming out of it was the result. It must have gotten trapped in there and frozen. I suspect this has damaged the membrane also. After defrosting, I was able to blow through the regulator again.

Question is - how the heck does a regulator get full of water? I thought I bought LPG from the local garage, not an LPG/water mix!!

I'll stick it back together later and see what happens, but I'll change the regulator anyway.

Nigel

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi all, and thanks for all the input.

I've just been out under the van and undone the regulator from the tank - turn the tap, and I can hear gas so I think I've been barking up the wrong tree.

Connected that back up and undid the other side, and nothing comes out.

I've put the regulator on top of a radiator, and a whole load of water coming out of it was the result. It must have gotten trapped in there and frozen. I suspect this has damaged the membrane also. After defrosting, I was able to blow through the regulator again.

Question is - how the heck does a regulator get full of water? I thought I bought LPG from the local garage, not an LPG/water mix!!

I'll stick it back together later and see what happens, but I'll change the regulator anyway.

Nigel
Check my earlier post, It gets in from the road splashes.
I had same problem.
We somtimes get to technical.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
yes indeed,

but it broke up the monotony of the crap served up on Christmas eve TV ..

jim
At least you have English speaking crap TV Jim.
Im in Holland and the sat box has gone down.
Only BBC on cable.:cry:
Ah well theres always the pub at £6 a pint.:cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
V
Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Hi

No issues with it last night parked up at Dalwinnie on the A9 anyway although it was much warmer than previous nights. Fresh snow overnight, about 4" on the A9 in places heading north but only an inch at Dalwinnie Now at Dingwall. Will see if gas plays up over the next couple of nights while parked up at Cairngorm ski centre for the next few nights.

Over 2ft of fresh on the gorms over the last week coupled with a half-decent forecast should mean good skiing on offer.

Got a cheapy gas stove in the van if it all goes pear shaped!

Link Removed

Lovely drive up the A9 with blue skies all the way. Pics here: Link Removed

Nigel

Last edited:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
AVG Alert on this subject

Be careful on this thread page 3 of 3. AVG on my L/T reported a 'drive-by-virus' so be warned/

Ron

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
like in most places lpg where I live in france is industrial grade propane as in the uk ; same in spain
so the problem is not butane in the mix but the fact that 5-10% is heavy ends , a tarry mixture of such things as napthane , toluene etc ; it sinks to the bottom so if you keep just topping up the tank you get the obvious results ; anyone who has run lpg vehicles for many years like I have will tell you how the vapourisers gunge up with this
don't know where this idea of a butane mix comes from ....my brother in belgium tells me the garages fill the lpg tanks with this grade of propane same as the domestic tanks where he lives ...maybe it used to be different

I understand that calor in uk have confirmed that lpg is exactly the same as propane in a red bottle ...may even have read it here

solution is simple ...always run out before refilling

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
don't know where this idea of a butane mix comes from ....

Wiki

Liquefied petroleum gas (also called LPG, GPL, LP Gas, or autogas) is a mixture of hydrocarbon gases used as a fuel in heating appliances and vehicles, and increasingly replacing chlorofluorocarbons as an aerosol propellant and a refrigerant to reduce damage to the ozone layer, inferring that it is flammable.

Varieties of LPG bought and sold include mixes that are primarily propane, mixes that are primarily butane, and the more common, mixes including both propane (60%) and butane (40%), depending on the season—in winter more propane, in summer more butane. Propylene and butylenes are usually also present in small concentration. A powerful odorant, ethanethiol, is added so that leaks can be detected easily.

forfourgeek

Free Member
May 21, 2009
Forest Of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class
Freezing Propane

Try lagging any external exposed gas pipes and the regulator. Then put a cylinder jacket from B & Q around any bottles. I use 47 Kg ones from Country Wide Farmers. Cheaper than Calor.

I did it, and it worked for me..

John :thumb:

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Try lagging any external exposed gas pipes and the regulator. Then put a cylinder jacket from B & Q around any bottles. I use 47 Kg ones from Country Wide Farmers. Cheaper than Calor.

I did it, and it worked for me..

John :thumb:

Strange as lagging really is the last thing you want to do.
The evaporating propane needs to get the required latent heat from somewhere, the jacket inhibits getting it from the only viable source the air/water vapour around the bottle.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
jim , like anyone else I could write an article in wiki that said that lpg was a mixture of ether and chloroform

wouldn't be true though

I prefer what the petrochemical companies say personally ....frankly I don't even place 100% confidence in that ...they do what is the most profitable at the time , and when the world butane price is above the world propane price............

personally ~i have run vehicles on 100% butane in africa , and very good it was too , if a little dirty

incidentally , industrial grade propane in the USA/Canada , Mexico as well ...only difference is ...they call it propane

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back