Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
For quite some time now, I've toyed with the idea of giving up on engineering and combining the greatest love of my life (apart from SWMBO:Cool:) with earning a living.
Consequently, I've visited "caravanjobfinder" quite a few times but the trouble is, the best you ever get from the ads is "pitch/water/electric + a SMALL wage"

Question is, how small ?
Even granted that ffi' and I arn't materialistic types of people, we're happy with a good book and a glass of wine, at our time of life (44 & 45) we still need a wage that we can live on without breaking in to our savings.

This isn't just a "we're fed up of engineering and recruitment and just wanna bum around for the rest of our lives" type thing. We're both grafters, enjoy hard work and love our Fulltiming lifestyle, but the fact is that after 20 odd years in the aircraft industry, watching a/ its slow, painfull demise and b/ the amount of corporate "B/S" thas now involved, we both feel that we have more to offer, that theres more to life and that we might be a lot happier doing a job we love but earning a lot less brass.

Any ideas what the average might be?

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we give you a nice site, free water and electric and you expect wages as well, dream on, hee hee Merry Christmas to you both.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
WHEN CAN YOU START

We are a 5-star touring and private holiday home park set in 130 acres of secluded and peaceful woodland within the Lake District National Park. Our customers come to us year after year to enjoy unspoilt tranquil surroundings.

We are currently recruiting a Seasonal Warden and a Receptionist (ideally a couple/partners) to supplement our existing team for the 2010 season. The season runs from 1st March to 15th November and the working hours for both positions would be 48hpw each. Warden duties include general park maintenance and up-keep of appearance of the park as well as providing our guests with outstanding customer service. General problem-solving is an integral part of the position and practical qualifications, skills or experience are an advantage. Receptionist duties include manning of the shop/reception counters, booking-in, customer service, cash handling, till reconciliation and general clerical duties.

The salaries offered (Warden £7.20ph, Receptionist £6.00ph) includes the pitch fee for your touring caravan or motorhome in which you would be required to reside while on the park.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
i believe the ccc and c&cp pay around 6 phr,

Just what we want to do when kids off our hands :Sad::Sad:

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
That is a lot more than I thought, £7.20 x 48 = £345 before deductions, a couple working there makes it very appealing, no bills, I for one would be better off being a warden than I am now::bigsmile:, granted I earn more but would not have the day to day outgoings of running a house.

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
That looks good!

That looks good to me,if only my wife could work!. Me a good arounder and can work!.

Merry Xmas to all.
:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

The money doesn't sound that bad, but have you read some of the types of complaints you have to deal with, I think it takes a special kind of person to work in direct contact with the public, and i for one wouldn't put up with what some of them have to for that sort of money,

Rose coloured glasses springs to mind, what a god awful job i really wouldn't do it for treble that hourly rate and probably not even then, the only time I could imagine doing it would be if it was my campsite and i know i could retire on the proceeds in 5/10 years

best of luck,

Just my opinion, Merry Christmas:thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
don't think they will employ you on hours over 36 most hours are less as you are probably aware tax and nat they have to pay .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
WHEN CAN YOU START

The salaries offered (Warden £7.20ph, Receptionist £6.00ph) includes the pitch fee for your touring caravan or motorhome.

what does that mean then ?

does it mean the pitch fee is to be paid from your salary or have they already deducted it 'at source' and thats whats left.

i do know one thing.....for the maintainance jobs that are required of you they couldnt get a self employed gardener for double the £7.20 ph wage.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
Had a bit of a blether with one of the Caravan Clubs finest a few weeks ago ( I do genuinely mean that, sorry couldn't do the job - to many old groaners like myself) and he told me they were on £6.80ph with free pitch, elec. etc.
Merry Xmas.

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Jobs!

Hi All, If you think running a site looks hard then try running a pub and alot more Hrs.

Merry Xmas to you All.

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Have a look at my blogs about being overseas campsite couriers. Earn about £150 a week each + site +electric + gas and usually a good discount on site facilities. Work for 6 months a year in the sun - we had a fantastic summer!:winky::winky:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Wardens wages

For quite some time now, I've toyed with the idea of giving up on engineering and combining the greatest love of my life (apart from SWMBO:Cool:) with earning a living.
Consequently, I've visited "caravanjobfinder" quite a few times but the trouble is, the best you ever get from the ads is "pitch/water/electric + a SMALL wage"

Question is, how small ?
Even granted that ffi' and I arn't materialistic types of people, we're happy with a good book and a glass of wine, at our time of life (44 & 45) we still need a wage that we can live on without breaking in to our savings.

This isn't just a "we're fed up of engineering and recruitment and just wanna bum around for the rest of our lives" type thing. We're both grafters, enjoy hard work and love our Fulltiming lifestyle, but the fact is that after 20 odd years in the aircraft industry, watching a/ its slow, painfull demise and b/ the amount of corporate "B/S" thas now involved, we both feel that we have more to offer, that theres more to life and that we might be a lot happier doing a job we love but earning a lot less brass.

Any ideas what the average might be?

Hi Zaskar

If you want to investigate further, without obligation, you could contact both the Camping and Caravanning Club, or the Caravan Club,....sites department in both cases.:Cool:

They both have recruitment literature, including current rates of pay, and training programmes, including training weekends on a site, whish gives a taste of whats to come:Doh:

If you go for it, your first year contract, as assistants, may be for a shorter season, but there is always (with the c&cc anyway) the option of winter site sitting, or winter work....but most go over to warmer climates for the winter, and return for the next season, which will most likely be a different site.:roflmto:

We found, what a lot have said, low outgoings, gives the opportunity to save one wage for the winter, it is possible, we did it.

True you do get some obnoxious people to deal with, but they are the vast minority, most are wonderful campers, and it is a great life, and stepping stone to fulltiming.:thumb:

Now is a good time to apply, go for it and test the water.

Nomadic

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Zaskar..

Nomadic makes it sound easy to find work, believe me it is not.. last Nov we started looking and applied to both Clubs and dozens of jobs advertised in the Job finder site.

Both clubs said they had no current vacancies and out of 40 odd applications only a dozen or so replied, we managed two interviews, both of which we were unsuccessful, probably because we had no previous experience..

For every job there are probably 40 or more applicants, more and more Fulltimers are looking for this type of work..

Second point, some are paying crap wages.. A free pitch and pocket money for working your butt off 60 hrs a week.. Certainly not enough to live on AND put aside for a winter break.. I've even seen some advertised with no wage, only a free pitch .. :RollEyes:

After travelling over 700 mls for two interviews and spending a lot on fuel it gets disheartening ..

The two clubs certainly look like the best bet, with a free pitch and paying minimum wages, if both of you are working it's just possible you could save enough for the winter break .. bear in mind you need to be members before applying ..

good luck mate..

jim

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Wardens wages

It did indeed at one time, (our time) be a requirement to be a member, to be employed, and as an employee, you had very little chance of using your membership benefits.

I understand from recent employees, that mambership of the C&CC is no longer a requirement of employment.

I know they are reluctant to employ staff with children who are in full time education, and this can be an obstruction in some cases.

Nomadic

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It did indeed at one time, (our time) be a requirement to be a member, to be employed, and as an employee, you had very little chance of using your membership benefits.

I understand from recent employees, that mambership of the C&CC is no longer a requirement of employment.

I know they are reluctant to employ staff with children who are in full time education, and this can be an obstruction in some cases.

Nomadic

Hi

I stand corrected, the C&CC don't require membership, the CC requires at least one years membership..

Having a child, who at that time was home educated, may well have been an obstacle .. but it wasn't referred to when we applied nor when we were informed that they had no vacancies..

jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim I wonder if they where afraid of the discrimination laws, as a reason for not mentioning you child as a reason for not giving you the job?

Olley

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi All, If you think running a site looks hard then try running a pub and alot more Hrs.

Merry Xmas to you All.

Could not agree more, was bar convenor of our local rugby club for many years.
Swear that was what turned me in to the grumpy old sod I am.
Merry Xmas huh
:Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim I wonder if they where afraid of the discrimination laws, as a reason for not mentioning you child as a reason for not giving you the job?

Olley

Who knows Olley.. it's all in the past, the two interviews we did have went well, one in particular we thought we had, then just before we were due to move we were told, sorry the job has been given to someone else, a previous employee returning from Spain .. but as I said, no experience and a zillion applicants it's about as hard to get a wardens job as any other these days..

But that's all behind us, we gave up on the fulltiming dream as it was just too much hassle, stress and uncertainty and are glad to be back under slates... anyone who thinks fulltiming is easy, or just a long holiday is in for a rude awakening.. it's neither.

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back