LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hello all, I have a problem here in frozen Holland at the moment.
As some of you know I use bioderv when possible and I have mabe 3/4 of a tank in the jeep.
Came to start it today and the bio has gelled.
I know we used to put a little petrol in truck fuel tanks years ago in the winter to stop the fuel freezing,but I dont know if it works with Bio the same.
Does anyone know for sure what,if anything I can do to get this sorted.
Regards, Dave.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
remember when you were a lad and in winter all the trucks had a burning rag under the tank.....:thumb::ROFLMAO:
Bl--dy hell John, Its the secondary tank,and thats fitted INSIDE the jeep,behind the rear pasenger seat.
Thats how I know its gelled, came to switch tanks over and nothing came out.
Took filler cap off and it was just like a block butter in there.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Bl--dy hell John, Its the secondary tank,and thats fitted INSIDE the jeep,behind the rear pasenger seat.
Thats how I know its gelled, came to switch tanks over and nothing came out.
Took filler cap off and it was just like a block butter in there.:Doh:

Is is pure biodiesel or is it processed chip fat - i know one or two people who run in that and have to fit a heater in the tank to stop this happening - sounds like you have a tank full of margarine:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: putting up to 10% petrol in diesel used to be acceptable in the old type engines but in the modern ones particularly common rail it can be a disaster how old it the jeep what type of pump system does it have??
It will also have waxed out in the filters which will also need changing and possibly need the feed pipes cleaned before it will start.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Someone suggested a few years ago that they used to use paraffin mixed with their diesel to stop it waxing, as petrol had a tendency to damage the diesel pump as the diesel is a lubricant for the pump and adding petrol could stop or reduce the lubricating affect, whether that is true or not i can't confirm but it does have a ring of sense to it, albeit I don't know if either would work with Bio-diesel

ls your Bio-diesel the type you can purchase direct from the pump or is it just home made modified cooking oil ? only i would have thought the type you purchase would be perhaps just the same as the older diesel was that didn't have the anti waxing additives in it and if that was the case then they used to use either petrol as you say or as i have mentioned paraffin to cure that problem.

I think what ever you chose will not be very affective until your current waxing has melted back to a normal condition, as i would have thought both of these suggestions are preventative measures rather than active solutions,

Hope that helps and makes sense.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Is is pure biodiesel or is it processed chip fat - i know one or two people who run in that and have to fit a heater in the tank to stop this happening - sounds like you have a tank full of margarine:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: putting up to 10% petrol in diesel used to be acceptable in the old type engines but in the modern ones particularly common rail it can be a disaster how old it the jeep what type of pump system does it have??
It will also have waxed out in the filters which will also need changing and possibly need the feed pipes cleaned before it will start.
Hi, Its an old Isuzu 2.8,
It will start and run on the main tank,but thats mabe 75per cent bio and 25per cent derv.
Am running Recycled rapeseed which normaly I never have a problem with, no palmoil.
Am thinking along the lines of 5 litres petrol in 100 litres bio and try to warm the tank first.
Problem is I dont know if petrol will mix with the bio like it does with derv.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back