racecourse sites (1 Viewer)

N

Nobody

Deleted User
i enjoy horse racing and intend to stay at sites where moterhomes are welcome for weekends or nearby sites can anyone reccomend complete newcomer this is my first moterhome:Smile:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi and welcome,

The caravan club have several sites on racecourses:

Cheltenham
Uttoxeter
Thirsk
Exeter
Market Rasen
Warwick
Fakenham
Great Yarmouth
Wincanton

Regards

Lunarman

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have stayed at Uttoxeter,Fakenham, Warwick and enjoyed all three, Uttoxeter stayed on race day and enjoyed it greatly, and at quite reasonable cost.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi jgee

We have stayed on a few sites at or next to racecourses.

Our favourites are:-

Coombe Touring Park, Salisbury.

Caravan Club site at Market Rasen.

Camping Campeole, Nancy, France

At Perth when they have a 2 day meeting it is common for MH's to stay where they have spent the afternoon/evening, centre track, overnight for the next days racing. Beware of the bookies centre track though. There was a lot of arguing over the odds being less than those over the other side of the track.

I find that my judgement of a place is greatly influenced by the weather. If the sun shone it was a great place. Racecourses are similarly judged but depending on whether we won or not:thumb:

may all your bets be winners

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
i enjoy horse racing and intend to stay at sites where moterhomes are welcome for weekends or nearby sites can anyone reccomend complete newcomer this is my first moterhome:Smile:

I think there's one at Bangor on Dee as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, We have stayed at the Great Yarmouth site when it was a race meeting, not far from the Heliport but not too noisy

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

Warwick CC site - within walking distance of shops and centre, very interesting with a lot of history. Golf club shares the centre of the race course.

Gt Yarmouth CC site - close to beach but bikes needed to get to Yarmouth centre; approx 1 mile away. Good walk, plenty of fresh sea air.:Smile:

Being CC sites both have good facilities, clean and well run.

OP
OP
N

Nobody

Deleted User
racecouse sites

many thanks for your replies very popular topic it would appear will definitely pay some avisit may all your bets be winners:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Just had a thought if you want to go on a race day be sure to book early as it is very popular.

Best of luck

Dave :thumb::thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
At Perth when they have a 2 day meeting it is common for MH's to stay where they have spent the afternoon/evening, centre track, overnight for the next days racing. Beware of the bookies centre track though. There was a lot of arguing over the odds being less than those over the other side of the track.

The C&CC club site at Scone Palace is really part of Perth Racecourse (the most northerly racecourse in the UK) and I personally believe the amenity block there is the one that sets the standards for everywhere else. Fantastic site, just a little too far for a walk into Perth, but there is a very infrequent bus service.

Steve

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

I think that on some of the race course sites the rule is no arriving / leaving on race days. I think if you are already there its OK.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Just depends on the site.
At Exeter, I believe During race days access is only restricted for 10
minutes either side of a race, wheras at Thirsk on Race Days Caravans are required to move to the rally field on the day before the races.

Pays you to check on the site prior to booking.:Smile:

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Great Yarmouth have a restriction on race days, can't remember the exact times but the Wardens do tell you when you check in.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Cartmel in Cumbria is agreat little meet been on family days and seen vans parked up so may well allow you to stay

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
During race meetings at Fakenham vans are required to move off the pitches (which become car parks etc)

When the going is 'firm' they can park up in the middle of the course and get a superb view of the action, when it is 'soft' they have to park up in the horsebox field; either way I believe they get complimentary paddock admission to watch the racing.

There are always lots of vans on race days whatever time of year (Fakenham is 'over the sticks' so hold winter meetings) so I would guess they are there for the racing

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone stayed at Thirsk CC site
It states no motorhomes

That's odd .. where did you read that ?

there is a thread here about staying at Thirsk CC site

Link Removed

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Thirsk

We stay at Thirsk on a regular basis when visiting family.If the grass is wet they put you on the late arrivals area.
But if it is race day you are on the rally field behind the club site.We have rang to book twice and never been turned away by the site direct or c club main bookings :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back