First trip out. Brilliant...... (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well we picked up the MH on Friday, took it home I started cleaning it inside. Ralph started fiddling around with various bits n bobs, as you do, putting his little additions in it.
I decided to strip all the soft furnishings and curtains out and wash n condition them. Everything has come up a dream. (30deg in the washer!)
Not that they were dirty anyway but its nice to know every things spotless now. Took some fiddling and sore fingers getting all the buttons back through though. But its done now. Ive upholstery spray scotch guarded it too.

We spent Saturday loading up with all that was needed, then set off to Acaster Malbis.
Not too far for a first trip, with the weather being as it is as well.

First impressions of the Mizar?
Brilliant. :thumb:
We are so glad we researched all the various lay outs as we did. This one is ideal for us. The front swivel seats , turning into the open lounge give so much space.
I think having had 4 caravans in the past helped with that though. You know what suits you personally.
Ralph took the TV bracket , which was in a cupboard ( twisted neck angle) and fixed it to the underside of our cab bed , so the kids are happy when were not out and about.

The webasto heating was superb. So much better than the caravan blown air that we had before. It was -6 and we were toasty warm. Even driving along the whole living area was warm.The floors of the motor home weren't even cold. So no slippers needed , 5 pairs less to pack !

Nothing froze, water red hot, shower powerful..

Only fault , the spark thing wont light the gas on the hob, it sparks brightly but doesn't light it, any ideas?

We stayed right down by the river, in the pub car park. No problem if your eating, free::bigsmile:
Lovely view of the snowy fields and boats on the river.
The kids were feeding the swans and ducks . Making snowmen .
We all Had a lovely meal on Sunday evening in the pub.
Ralph and i popped over for another drink later, which ended up being a very late evening with the locals, where i had far too much red wine, and I'm still suffering:Doh:.
Never again.... till next time.

I haven't driven Mizzy yet, but Ralph says shes handled the icy roads like a dream.
He was very pleasantly surprised.

We used the silver screen that we bought from Cleckheaton, so not 1 bit of condensation in the MH. Thats 5 of us and 2 dogs!!
We ended up getting the one with the fold down front and the mesh full panel fixed in it, with the vent bib.
A brilliant product very well made and certainly does the job.

Were wondering now , weather to bother fixing the solar panel on the roof, as the battery levels were fine .
Ralph was going to take everything with us when we go away for the new year , fix it on then weather permitting.

What do you experienced M.H. owners think ?? We will be rallying mostly . ( a few country pub car parks now as well, by the looks of it too::bigsmile: ) So no hook up.

The only thing that we found strange was the sound of things squeaking and rattling around, when we were driving.
I'm sure a few bits of that holey rubber stuff will quieten that down though. Maybe a tea towel for the oven shelfs!!
You don't get that when your tugging of course.

Oh yes , is it M.H etiquette to flash and wave other owners ? We only saw one on the way over to York , but they waved n flashed, we did the same back. :ROFLMAO:
It tickled us...

So , roll on our week over new year and hopefully many more weekends out rallying. Ralph's already booked the ferry to France for in the 6 week holls!! No doubt we will be picking your brains nearer the time for that trip, having never been before:whatthe:

Bev

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Glad you enjoyed your first trip, and all went well.:roflmto::roflmto:

If you are not using EHU most of the time then a solar panel is a good idea stops worries over usage so much, and helps keep the batteries in trim.

Yes any self respecting motorhomer acknowledges any you meet on the road, as normally we are a friendly crowd.

It is great to see people from abroad who have found the habit wave, once in Scotland thought a woman would shake her hand off and the grin was wonderful to behold, children if sat in the front seat love it also.:roflmto:
We also find tea towels good for stopping rattles, cheap if obtained from charity shops, they aiso make good spill soaker's and good for drying wet dogs, and easily washed or thrown away.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Yes any self respecting motorhomer acknowledges any you meet on the road,

:thumb:as normally we are a friendly crowd.:thumb:

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave , and the advice too. I shall be on the look out for cheap teatowels:winky:

Could anyone else advise about the electric spark not lighting the gas on the hob ?

Luckily we had a long lighter thingy we use for the Cadac in the summer in our box of tricks , but if we could fix it , it would be better.

Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
If the sparky thingy is sparking and the gas will light with another source it sounds like the initial jet of gas is not in the way of the spark - look at the position of the spark - is there a hole in the burner opposite it?
You could try sitting a pot or kettle on the ring before pressing the sparky thing - I have seen that make a difference.
Years of playing with gas - it's fun - but no qualifications in gassy things.

PS - Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Bev, glad you and Ralph and family had a good time, we have trouble lighting our hob, if the gas is on the lowest setting it lights OK, you would think with more gas it would be better,:Smile: a bigger explosion. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We try to stay off Hook Up, and had a 85w solar panel fitted, which is great in the summer, but not so good without the sunshine, so we have a generator too.:winky::Smile:

Had our solar panel fitted by Mark a member on here.:Smile:

http://www.central-leisure-services.co.uk/

You will love France, they know how to keep Motorhomers happy, unlike the UK, we will be over there from the 8th Jan and cant wait, see you at a fun rally sometime.:thumb: Bob an Jane.:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
initial jet of gas is not in the way of the spark - look at the position of the spark - is there a hole in the burner opposite it?
You could try sitting a pot or kettle on the ring before pressing the sparky thing - I have seen that make a difference.

PS - Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Do you know , that could well be it! Thankyou.
I dismantled the top gas flow bits to clean them, i put them back without thinking about the flow of gas to the spark. We shall check it out when we next go out in it.
Wish it was on the drive , and not in storage, Ralph'd be out there now! too cold for me -1 in Wakefield at the mo. Though probably the warmest its been allday.
Bev

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Bev, glad you and Ralph and family had a good time, we have trouble lighting our hob, if the gas is on the lowest setting it lights OK, you would think with more gas it would be better,:Smile: a bigger explosion. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We try to stay off Hook Up, and had a 85w solar panel fitted, which is great in the summer, but not so good without the sunshine, so we have a generator too.:winky::Smile:

Had our solar panel fitted by Mark a member on here.:Smile:

http://www.central-leisure-services.co.uk/

You will love France, they know how to keep Motorhomers happy, unlike the UK, we will be over there from the 8th Jan and cant wait, see you at a fun rally sometime.:thumb: Bob an Jane.:Smile:

Thankyou Bob and Jane,
Our solar panel is a Kyocera 87watt. Ralph fitted it to the top of our caravan. Worked brilliantly even over the winter last year. He removed it before we PX'd
He went down the awning rail through a gland in the floor into the caravan.
Do you know how Mark went into your MH?
Up to now the only way Ralph can see without drilling the roof , is through the top fridge vent . The only thing is , this is on the other side to the batteries. This would mean a longer cable run resulting in voltage drop. ( Ralphs knowledge not mine BTW!!)
We also have a generator. We don't take out very often , as we rarely used it with the caravan .
Its just on longer stays and my Hair straighteners :Blush:
We are looking forward to the week off over new year. Wish it was France we were going to and not a rally in Bradford :winky:
Though a great time was had by all 23 caravans last year, and im sure it will be just as good this time round. Infact there will be 2 m.h and a 5th wheeler this year too.
Have a great time, and we look forward to meeting you and other MH owners on a "fun rally"
We shall look out for some in the New Year.
Bev ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
where i had far too much red wine,
Bev

Oh dear. You have a lot to learn about MHing yet. You need to do some proper training. Like a MH meet.

The Hanaganps run courses, it is said, one of them keeps a whole wine region of France in profit and if you melted down all their bottles you could make a greenhouse to cover Milton Keynes.

Upvote 0

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Hi Bev & Ralph
We are so envious we are still looking for our MH and cant, but glad you enjoyed your first outing.
Lots more to look forward to

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Pleased to hear you enjoyed your first trip out, its all very exciting. We've only been Motorhoming since July and enjoy each trip away even though its rained each time. Going away on Boxing Day hopefully to Lincolnshire as MH is in storage which is probarbly icy there.

Should we ever see you on the open road we too will give you a wave, not going up to Huddersfield ( where I used to live ) in the near future so it wont be in Yorkshire, lol.

Happy travelling.

Dale, Graham & Emily

Norwich

Upvote 0

oneday

Free Member
Dec 24, 2009
the midlands
Funster No
Hi
Good to hear that you've got a new MH
We also got a 2006 Mizar GTL Living a few months back and have been happy with it since.
Only had a few trips to date, but we did do France for a couple of weeks in September.
Our Mizar replaced a CI Riviera 171, choosing it because we liked the bunk bed arrrangements for the kids and still having a decent lounge arrangement and size. When I did my research I recall that the upholstery was often quoted as being a bit thin and wearing quickly (ours was already a bit worn in places). Another bit I read included the diesel heater using alot of battery power when not on mains hook-up (we haven't done a great deal without hook-up so far, but will be doing). As it is I'm tempted to replace/add an extra leisure battery anyway.
Hope you get on okay

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back