JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Need some advice on our Alde 3000 heating system if anyone else has one.
It heats the radiators around the van and also the water. It has a 1 and 2 KW heater element and can run off gas as well. The question I have is can I run it without the tap water tank being filled? The radiators run on glycol/water mix.
The heating controls do not allow for seperate timings. In the instruction book it says you can but it also shows a programmer that has both settings separate, ours does not have this. It seems to be all or nothing. Don't want to try it till we know otherwise we could freeze to death over the New Year. Just wanted to air it out but it is too cold to put water in.

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
I have the same model as you. In answer to your question, yes you can run the heating separate from the hot water, even if you have drained the hot water side down. The heating is a separate sealed system. You just put the slide switch up to radiators only and then slide the switch for gas or electric.

ken

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Controls

I have the same model as you. In answer to your question, yes you can run the heating separate from the hot water, even if you have drained the hot water side down. The heating is a separate sealed system. You just put the slide switch up to radiators only and then slide the switch for gas or electric.

ken
Now there lies the problem I have. The programmer i have does not have the slide switches. It is all digital. I can programme up to 6 times a day, overide and set frost protection. Having said that I have another Control Panel that has 6 switches on it that being:
Power On - to power up the heating system
Gas Ignition - to light the gas side
1KW - Obviously for summer/winter use
2KW -
Water only
Water and Heating
There is nothing about heating only.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
I'm afraid I am not familar with your control panel. The 3000 model was fitted with the slide type controller so I am guessing that either the original control has been replaced or that you have a different model boiler from what you say. The Alde website has all the instruction manuals for their boilers or possiblly, you have one yourself. Either way, there must be a way to have heating only. Is there a name on your control panel that you can search for online? Keep us posted please.

ken

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Model

The heating is an Alde Compact 3000 and is original equipment from new. The programmer is a TP5000-RF.
I have all the instruction mnuals for both. On the Alde instructions it only shows the Alde controller with sliding switches, which clearly says that 'the heating system may be heated up without the warm water eater being filled with water'.
I am going to ring Alde to confirm this is still the case when I cannot set 'heating only' on the Controller as you can with the slider switch. I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks, Graham & Jean

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Their 'Final Answer'

Got this reply back from Alde so it's going on this afternoon. If it goes pear-shaped we will homebound over the New Year, though they seem confident (well they did make it).

Hello!
Yes you can use the heater without the freshwater in the tank.
It don't look like it is a panel from Alde
Just switch the power on and the same with gas.
Regards
Per Karlsson

Regards
Graham & Jean

Last edited:
OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Up and running

System up and running on 2kW, though doesn't it take a long time to heat the van? Let's hope all is well. Been on 45 minutes and I can just feel the heat coming from behind the seating. Raised it from 4.5 degrees to 6 degrees. Well, at least it's warmer than the fridge, lol. Roll on The Cotton Arms, Wednesbury for the New Year!
Thanks Ken
Regards, Graham & Jean

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
System up and running on 2kW, though doesn't it take a long time to heat the van? Let's hope all is well. Been on 45 minutes and I can just feel the heat coming from behind the seating. Raised it from 4.5 degrees to 6 degrees. Well, at least it's warmer than the fridge, lol. Roll on The Cotton Arms, Wednesbury for the New Year!
Thanks Ken
Regards, Graham & Jean

Graham put the gas on as well as the lece if you can, it will heat up more quickly once up to temp turn gas off.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks

Thanks for that. I am off out to do it now.
Regards
graham

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Forgot to give you that tip myself. Works quicker from start with electric and gas on at the same time. Then once up to temperature you could turn it off gas and just use the electric. And yes it does take a long while to get warm but once there it is great. In the winter we just leave ours on all the time. Glad you are now sorted.

ken.

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
The system I have in my MH is that I can slide the switch for heating and boiling water at the same time or slide it the other way for only heating for my hot blow air heating.:thumb:

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Controller

Yes, that's the one quoted in the Alde Instruction Manual. Mine is different, and was fitted from new. It has a Danfoss TP5000RF programmer with a separate panel with properly marked switches as I stated earlier. That's why I was dubious, because mine does not have that 'heating only' option. Still all seems sorted now.

Tony Bilbe

Free Member
Mar 15, 2012
nz
Funster No
MH
FLEETWOOD CARAVAN
Exp
SINCE 1977
Re ALDE HEATING SYSTEM IN CARAVAN

Can anyone out there give me a reason where the Glycol/water mix dissappears to, at any given time for no given reason. Have checked for
possible leakage but none found.
Means checking level on a daily basis.
Your ideas & experience would be appreciated.
Tony
NEW ZEALAND.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back