cold and arial signal (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
The colder it gets the worst my signal gets !
Ive been on the same pitch for a few months now and at first my signal was great, then as the temperatures dropped the more problems I had watching telly, at first broken pictures, then less channels, then loss of sound occasionally, then pemenantly now NOTHING...not a single channel !!
I've checked all the connections, tried with booster on and off and the freeview box is only a year old. Any ideas ????????????????

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The colder it gets the worst my signal gets !
Ive been on the same pitch for a few months now and at first my signal was great, then as the temperatures dropped the more problems I had watching telly, at first broken pictures, then less channels, then loss of sound occasionally, then pemenantly now NOTHING...not a single channel !!
I've checked all the connections, tried with booster on and off and the freeview box is only a year old. Any ideas ????????????????
Had same problem at home.
I did a new download search on the freeview box and that cured it.
Its somthing to do with the digital changeover.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Had same problem at home.
I did a new download search on the freeview box and that cured it.
Its somthing to do with the digital changeover.

Do you mean re-install ??
Ive done that loads of times and it seems to find less and less channels ????????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You dont say if your using the Wingard arial, If so try a normal TV antena.
I never had much faith with the Wingard,its prone to water ingress where the cable goes through the roof, might be a thought to check that.
Have you done a channel search since changeover day in your area?

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I dont know if its a wingard, in the RV operators manual its just called an antenna, it looks like the sort you get on a house, it cranks up.
Ive done another channel search, one of many since change over day amd this time got lots of channels but no sound at all ???
I did find a little water ingress on the arial wire last week after jetwashing but after tightening a rubber cover this has stopped .
HELP IM HAVING WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS NOW.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont know if its a wingard, in the RV operators manual its just called an antenna, it looks like the sort you get on a house, it cranks up.
Ive done another channel search, one of many since change over day amd this time got lots of channels but no sound at all ???
I did find a little water ingress on the arial wire last week after jetwashing but after tightening a rubber cover this has stopped .
HELP IM HAVING WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS NOW.
Take the rubber cover off and give everything a good clean, and WD40, then make sure the rubber cap is fitted OK and seal with mastic, making double sure its all watertight.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
ohhh bugger the roof is covered with 6 inch of snow up there....might have to make do with subtitles...im off to spain hopefully in 2 weeks, if I can get someone to go with... so wont be any good there, will it ? UUUGGGHHHHH

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
ohhh bugger the roof is covered with 6 inch of snow up there....might have to make do with subtitles...im off to spain hopefully in 2 weeks, if I can get someone to go with... so wont be any good there, will it ? UUUGGGHHHHH
Yep, it will work fine in Spain, but of course you will have to be fluent in Spanish.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
This is doing my head in now, its been ok for a couple of days then started again, no sound !
do these boosters need replacing every so often ? Ive tried by passing it, turning it off, nothing seems to make much difference . Could it be the speakiers in the telly ? how do you know if theyve had it ???? just as Take that in concert come on...TYPICAL.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is doing my head in now, its been ok for a couple of days then started again, no sound !

That rings a bell - though won't hear it :)

I think I've seen a setting in setup of the TV that changes sound. You may have accidentally changed it. Go through all the setup settings and see if there are any options that look likely. I think there is provision for different language sounds.

Or have you just hit MUTE ?

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
checked the scarts several times and its deffo not the mute button or a sound setting on the telly, it just goes off its self. So im on the same pitch ive been on for three months and the signal strength changes out of the blue, I some times cant get all channels and often no sound. Im convinced its a problem with the freeview box, aerial booster or a connection but ive checked them all many times....its just gone off again !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try a hard reset on the box.....

somewhere, usually on the back, there may be a recessed 'reset' button.
you usually need a pin or biro point to press it.

that should clear the whole system to default settings.

worth a try even if it doesnt work.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Could be that the number of preset channels on your box is restricted.
When you do a new search for channels set it to 'new' and not 'add, or similar terms.
This ensures that all previous channels are not saved and you get a completely new list of channels and deletes all previous saved channels.

Or could be that the maintenance team are on Chrimbo leave and the transmitter needs attention:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Im convinced its a problem with the freeview box, aerial booster or a connection but ive checked them all many times....its just gone off again !

Have you asked on site in case it's a place with freak reception conditions ?

Have you looked at the aerial connectors ? Many are not soldered or the screws can come loose. Mind you, just wriggling the wires usually show this up. Can you tap an outside wires, say, with a broom handle.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
There is a little pin sized hole at the back of the free view box and ive wiggled a pin in it, no luck ive also done a new installation as apposed to an add channels installation, Hill dweller I dont know where you want me to tap outside with me broom ??? you mean the actual crank up aerial.
I thought it might be me pound shop scart so just bought a 11 quid top of the range jobby....same thing. So today I have half the usual channels and no sound. Im not on a camp site im on a friends business park so no communal aerial.
I did take off the end of the aerial screw on bit that goes into the booster as this altered the picture when touched, it wasnt soldered and after cutting back the wire a bit to expose more of the inner thick wire put it back.... what bit should be soldered ???

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hill dweller I dont know where you want me to tap outside with me broom ??? you mean the actual crank up aerial.

I did take off the end of the aerial screw on bit that goes into the booster as this altered the picture when touched, it wasnt soldered and after cutting back the wire a bit to expose more of the inner thick wire put it back.... what bit should be soldered ???

Basically tap *anything* and if there is a bad connection it may show up.

The centre pin in the plug is sometimes just a sleeve and bodgers just stuff the inner up it and it will work fine - 'till the copper tarnishes. It should either be soldered or some have a tiny screw. A reasonable bodge is to kink the stiff inner so it rubs firmly on the inside.

The outside screen should make good contact with the plug body - this is never soldered, it's clamped so no need.

>> this altered the picture when touched

That is *exactly* what you are looking for. Keep fiddling until moving it makes not change. It's just possible, if it keeps jittering, that the socket in the booster have come unsoldered.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I took out the television from its mountings and found behind it an aerial wire extension that was bare at one end so for now have by passed the booster and will get a replacement, fingers crossed, its all working ok now....so nothing to do with the frost !

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I GIVE UP....well almost
my telly has started loosing its sound again, im now convinced it is the speakers as everytime it goes off I bang it with a ladle and sound is restored, for a short while.
So I suppose I'll have to find the money for a replacement.
Now the general consensus on here is that a 12 volt TV is best, although more expensive but as I have an RV with power converted from 240 volts to 110 volts and no 12 volt socket is this even an option ???
The TV I have is powered either from the batteries via an inverter or by 240 volt hook up via a 110v transformer.
So to save battery energy i'de rather have a 12 volt one but where do I plug it in ? there are the original american sockets but what voltage are these 110, 240 or 12 ??????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back