Alternatives and suggestions for mp3 car playback (1 Viewer)

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
I have a good incar stereo with 6cd multichanger but no auxillary input . I also have a good Sony mp3 player but other than me recording audio (cd only plays these) discs i am rather stuck .The stereo has steering wheel controls so i am a bit reluctant to spend min.£70 for a reasonable replacement where i lose this feature . Griffin/Belkin make some gadgets where the problem is possibly overcome using FM. "blank" stations . Eventually i think i may have explained the position HAS ANY TECHNOS GOT A GOOD SOLUTION ? I promise they will be Thanked!!!!!!! Al

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a radio with an aux input both in the car and the m/home but also use a Belkin FM transmitter for odd things as well.

It can be used for MP3s also for an Archos and several other bits of kit. The best bit though is we attach it to the tv headphone out and play the audio through the 'vans 4 speaker stereo system when we are watching a movie - not really surround sound but not bad at all.

By the way if you are using a Belkin some distance from the radio antenna you may need to boost the power of the Belkin. There are some good modification instructions on www.instructables.com

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I have a griffin fm trasnmitter i used in the car for a while.

Whilst the sound is quite good, you have to keep changing frequency as you drive around as "free" stations become busy as you move to different areas. Almost useless in london with its legendary pirate radio stations

It'll be great if you're static but could become annoying if you're driving.

Spending some cash here may be your only option.

BUT, do some research on-line about your head-unit (which you've omitted to list) as you may find it has an aux input on the back for a phone input which you may be able to utilise with the addition of a cable.
Following this train of thought, you may be able to replace your head unit for a model up for example which you may get very cheaply on eBay which has this feature, and bob's your uncle

Personally i bought a Panasonic DVD/DIVX/MP3 player from Amazon which has front and back inputs with video outputs and now i'm spoilt for choice.
That cost £88!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User
I have a good incar stereo with 6cd multichanger but no auxillary input . I also have a good Sony mp3 player but other than me recording audio (cd only plays these) discs i am rather stuck .The stereo has steering wheel controls so i am a bit reluctant to spend min.£70 for a reasonable replacement where i lose this feature . Griffin/Belkin make some gadgets where the problem is possibly overcome using FM. "blank" stations . Eventually i think i may have explained the position HAS ANY TECHNOS GOT A GOOD SOLUTION ? I promise they will be Thanked!!!!!!! Al

Have you checked to see if there is an spare input to the back of your stereo . I never found the sound all that good through the fm gadgets:thumb:

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I've noticed from your profile you have the navara/5er rig and with a 6 cd you must have the aventura (as i have had myself until recently)

There is no upgrade to the head-unit for aux input but if this is the new D40 model, you should be able to play MP3 CDs in that CD changer as i did.

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
2007 Navara Nav. Outlaw tried mp3 disc it wont have it -audio only Alan

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have a Belkin transmitter, I dont use it in the car to much but do use it in the van.

Tune it into any blank fm station and play it through the habitation speakers.

Their ok but if you like your music to be perfect their not the job for you

They are cheap to buy and so its worth getting one to see what you think.

Jim

:Smile:

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi Gibla53,

If your in car stereo has a cassette you could use one of these

Link Removed

i use one with my mp3 they just plug into the headphone socket. Work very well,
i have seen them cheaper than above but link should give you an idea of what im on about. :thumb:

Cheers Min

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Hi Gibla53,

If your in car stereo has a cassette you could use one of these

Link Removed

i use one with my mp3 they just plug into the headphone socket. Work very well,
i have seen them cheaper than above but link should give you an idea of what im on about. :thumb:

Cheers Min

I've seen the same system with a cd instead of a cassette, I've used the cassette system and it worked very well.

Regards, john

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If you decide to replace the head unit there are adaptors available for about £35 to adapt the new head unit remote control input for use on the existing steering controls. Replaced our Ford double DIN unit for a single DIN Pioneer with built-in mp3/sd card/usb/CD player and it works well.

I seem to remember seeing some in Halfords by Multistalk.

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Eventually settled on a Gizmo FM transmitter and it works -this was only a £9 outlay so was dubious it is very good with a 12 volt supply, there is ocassional break up but just did Midlands to Costa Brava and if it broke up for 10 mins max includind via London and Paris thanks again for the suggestions it certainly has saved a few bob. Al

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back