8R19.5 Wheel change to Euro size (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi all,I am thinking of changing the American wheels on my RV.
Its a John Deere chassis,which is the forunner to the Oshkosh.
Same size tyres, and the rims are the same 8R 19.5.
As you all know this size is very difficult to obtain in Europe,so am thinking along the lines of a larger diameter wheel,with a lower profile tyre.
I know that 225 75 19.5 will fit the rims,but they are as difficult to get in Europe as the originals.
Does anyone know of a Euro truck wheel that will fit the John Deere-Oshkosh chassis,preferably on an older truck that I can obtain from the breakers,as I dont want to be buying a full set of new wheels and tyres.
I would prefer larger diameter than at present,to help with fuel economy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Dave, sorry cant help with a supplier but are you sure about going bigger to improve economy.

a bigger diameter will need more torque to turn it and as such will need more fuel.....especially on hills.

bigger diameter wheel and lower profile tyre will balance out and wont make any difference to speed or economy.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hello John, No problem with the grunt,the old girl is low geared anyway.
Would have liked a 2 speed axel,but am only dreaming with that one.
Its these damned skinny rims that are making the problems.
I tried 245 70 19.5 on them,but they were to wide for the rims.
What I need is a standard Eurowheel and tyres.
Have given myself a headache Googleing,and the US forums are not much help as they dont use Euro sizes or Euro trucks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

delbert

Free Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all,I am thinking of changing the American wheels on my RV.
Its a John Deere chassis,which is the forunner to the Oshkosh.
Same size tyres, and the rims are the same 8R 19.5.
As you all know this size is very difficult to obtain in Europe,so am thinking along the lines of a larger diameter wheel,with a lower profile tyre.
I know that 225 75 19.5 will fit the rims,but they are as difficult to get in Europe as the originals.
Does anyone know of a Euro truck wheel that will fit the John Deere-Oshkosh chassis,preferably on an older truck that I can obtain from the breakers,as I dont want to be buying a full set of new wheels and tyres.
I would prefer larger diameter than at present,to help with fuel economy.

Just bought a set of 6 new Hercules RV tyres yesterday 225/70R/19.5F they are a fairly large American tyre company, bought them from North Hants Tyres Aldershot Hants, tyres will be delivered to my door

http://www.northhantstyres.com/

http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/pdfCatalogPages/herc09catalog_24_S208-S209.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just bought a set of 6 new Hercules RV tyres yesterday 225/70R/19.5F they are a fairly large American tyre company, bought them from North Hants Tyres Aldershot Hants, tyres will be delivered to my door

http://www.northhantstyres.com/

http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/pdfCatalogPages/herc09catalog_24_S208-S209.pdf
Thanks for the reply, but I want to get away from the American size tyres, and onto Euro sizes.
Thats why I need to change the rims.
For years now I have been carting spare tyre casings on the roof in Europe and North Africa becouse the sizes are not availabe or like hens teeth outside the States.
Once I have found out what size rim will fit the John Deere-Oshkosh chassis, I will have 10 yep 10 Michelin 8R 19.5 tyres for sale.:thumb:

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
You could phone North Hants Tyres and speak to John Pettifor (The Boss). They will probably have all the answers on where you can get the NON American rims and tyres you wish to change too.

Adge

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
:Cool: Hi Snowbird. You could try these:-

Link Removed
Thanks for that one, will call them tomorow, am in Holland till after the new year so will call on the way home and give them the once over.:thumb:

Bev Griffiths

Free Member
Mar 24, 2009
Widnes, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bought Our Bus Nov 2008
Tyres......

Hi.. hope you dont mind my asking.. have you sorted out your tyres as yet? we also have an Allegro, 32' Tiffin 1989 & she's needing a couple of tyres, did find a tyre supplier in Midlands & one up our way here in Cheshire but there are so pricey, was wondering if you still had any for sale & what condition they are in?

thanks,
Bev & Griff

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi.. hope you dont mind my asking.. have you sorted out your tyres as yet? we also have an Allegro, 32' Tiffin 1989 & she's needing a couple of tyres, did find a tyre supplier in Midlands & one up our way here in Cheshire but there are so pricey, was wondering if you still had any for sale & what condition they are in?

thanks,
Bev & Griff
Hi, Am afraid I had no luck with the rim change, But I have 5 X 2004 Goodyears at £70 each and 2 older Michelins at £60 each. All 8R 19.5

Bev Griffiths

Free Member
Mar 24, 2009
Widnes, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bought Our Bus Nov 2008
hi again, rang Griff at work regards your reply & he asks;

can you give little more detail pls.

tread depth, part worn/new, front steer or rear, etc.

thanks, B.x

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi again, rang Griff at work regards your reply & he asks;

can you give little more detail pls.

tread depth, part worn/new, front steer or rear, etc.

thanks, B.x
They are all part worn, the Goodyears are like new dated 2004, the Michelins are older but OK,plenty of tread left. You will never wear em out on your Tiffin.
You can use them for steer or rear.PM me for my phone no.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back