Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
has anyone come across this before.
any truth in it ?
does it apply to ex-pats only ?

EU DRIVING LICENCES IN SPAIN - Medicals
New laws have been recently introduced and these state that if you hold an EU driving licence, you need to hold a medical certificate, the same as a Spanish national. For drivers aged between 18-45, your medical examination is every 10 years. From 45-70 years, every 5 years and for 70 years of age upwards, every two years. If you are caught for ANY driving offence and your medical examination is not current, you will be deemed to NOT HAVE a driving licence.

http://www.idealspain.com/Pages/Information/DrivingSpain.htm

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
I have lived here now 11 years and yes have been told of this before but have never been asked for it when stopped by the police.:Smile:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I wonder how many tourists currently in Spain or planning to go there for their holidays have heard of this 'Requirement' or indeed have a valid certificate.

Phil.

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
the way i understand it is if you are in possesion of a spanish bank account number ,nie ,residencia certificate then this is where the law comes into accuont,personally i have a spanish licence and have to renew it with the medical every three years to keep my 7.5 tonner licence alive.:cry:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
the way i understand it is if you are in possesion of a spanish bank account number ,nie ,residencia certificate then this is where the law comes into accuont,personally i have a spanish licence and have to renew it with the medical every three years to keep my 7.5 tonner licence alive.:cry:

I asked last night and the answer was you need a medical certificate if you take the Spanish driving Test or you are changing your licence over to Spanish if your licence is from any other EUC country your ok.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I have an HGV or now known as LGV licence and as such have had medicals every 5 years since I was 45 but I have never ever kept the medical certificate given to me, this has always been sent off to the DVLA!!!

Should I keep a copy? Or is there a code on the licence to say you have had a medical or does the renewal date of this part of your entitlement suffice?

Regards Pat

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I asked last night and the answer was you need a medical certificate if you take the Spanish driving Test or you are changing your licence over to Spanish if your licence is from any other EUC country your ok.:Smile:

thanks Ken,

so the new law is aimed at ex-pats only if they wish to hold a spanish licence and not tourists in general.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have a daft week or so in Spain every year and always hire a car.

Touch wood we have never been stopped by the police, however the car hire company would certainley ask to see this document if it were a legal requirement.

Anyhow kenspain who is on the spot (our Spanish Correspondant) and has it first hand, no worries, (sounded a bit like an ozz there didnt I).

Jim
:Smile:

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
Hello, I'm going to try to explain it. Here , in Spain when you want to get a driving licence,or you need to renew it, you have to get a medical certificate. The clinic in which you get it, send it to the DGT (Dirección General de Tráfico) and then you get your new driving licence.
No one is going to stop you to ask for your medical certificate, if you have a driving licence ,it means that your medical certificate is OK.

I hope I could help you.

Good bye from a very cold Spain:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yolanda

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I hope I could help you.

Good bye from a very cold Spain:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yolanda

You helped with driving licences but not the weather.

Even if we aren't going to Spain it's sort of comforting to think we could if we wanted to and we'd get nice and warm.

In the midlands of England it's not too cold, just misty and miserable.

Oh I wish I could speak or type Spanish or French or Italian as well as you do. When I was in school in the north France was just another world so there was no real reason to learn it when I would probably never go there. Then in the 60s foreign holidays started to change all that, we *could* go there but still the Brits didn't bother to learn other languages.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
HAD TO MUCH SUN HERE THIS YEAR SO NOW I DONT HAVE TO COME OVER THERE TO GET THE NICE COLD WEATHER :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Read this and make your own minds up

Link Removed

Link Removed

HELPSHEET A: Information about the Driver Medical Test for British Drivers in Spain

1. WHAT IS THE DRIVER MEDICAL TEST?
The Driver Medical Test in Spain is known as the Psicofísica. It is a very simple test which is designed to check vision and anticipation skills. The test usually lasts under 20 minutes and usually consists of two tests, a vision test similar to those in opticians, and an anticipation test at a computer (no computer skills or knowledge is needed, although if you do not understand Spanish, it may be a good idea to bring an interpreter or someone who can help you with the instructions).
2. DO I NEED TO TAKE THE TEST?
A law was passed in Spain on 8th May 2009, which has the following paragraph in Spanish (translation below):

´El titular de un permiso de conducción expedido en uno de estos Estados que haya adquirido su residencia normal en España quedará sometido a las disposiciones españolas relativas a su período de vigencia, de control de sus aptitudes psicofísicas y de asignación de un crédito de puntos´.
(click here to download the PDF document of the full law from the Trafico Website in Spanish).

This translates as follows: ´The holder of a European Driving License who is normally resident in Spain is required to adhere to Spanish regulations relating to the period of validity, to the control of their psycophysical aptitudes, and to the assignment of point credit´.
Regarding the Medical test, this appears to effectively mean that:
If you have a Residencia Card / Certificate and are normally resident in Spain, then your UK driving license will only be valid (and therefore your insurance will only be valid) if you take a Psicofísica Test in the same way that a Spanish person would.
If you are a Resident and have never taken this test while living in Spain, then the law would appear to suggest that your driving license and therefore your insurance are entirely invalid. If you have already taken this Medical test in the past, then you should take another test:
- Every 10 years if you are aged between 18-45,
- Every 5 years if you are aged between 45-70,
- Every 2 years if you are aged over 70.

CLICK HERE FOR TEST LOCATIONS AND MORE INFORMATION

Link Removed Advice and Help for British Expats in Spain

• <LI class=" first">Link Removed <LI class=" ">Link Removed <LI class=" ">Link Removed <LI class=" ">Link Removed
  • Link Removed
You are viewing the text version of this site.
To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.
Need help? check the Link Removed page.
Link Removed