Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
:RollEyes:
Going to spend a month in France & Spain during April and think towing a wee car may be a good idea. We have an Autotrail Scout on a Fiat 2.8.
Rather than drag a trailer and a car, I reckon the car on it's own wheels is a better idea but don't know how it steers on corners - if at all. Or if it matters.
Can it affect getting into sites?
All advice will be greatly welcomed.
:Smile:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Going to spend a month in France & Spain during April and think towing a wee car may be a good idea. We have an Autotrail Scout on a Fiat 2.8.
Rather than drag a trailer and a car, I reckon the car on it's own wheels is a better idea but don't know how it steers on corners - if at all. Or if it matters.
hi ilive in your neck of the woods dosent seem to be many of us about.i had an aframe fitted acouple of weeks ago. to tow with aframe you need to travel with steering lock of so as the veicle can steer. check out web for caratow they have a fitting agent in falkirk.i chose to travel to armitage at ferrybridge w yorks. if want any further info send a pm. johnl

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No

I think you better a trailer as i dont think you can just tow a car over here.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
o k if you stick to eu countries.

Spain is the country with most reports of 'A' framers getting stopped.

no-one on fun seems to have first hand experience of being stopped but they all know of a friend that knows people who have.
the same people also have friends that know of folks who've been gassed as well. :Doh:

OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Spain is the country with most reports of 'A' framers getting stopped.

no-one on fun seems to have first hand experience of being stopped but they all know of a friend that knows people who have.
the same people also have friends that know of folks who've been gassed as well. :Doh:

Heheh.
I think I'll just try it and see. I'm a born optimist.
The A frame sounds like a good idea - apart from reminding me of an unfortunate incident reported many years ago involving an apple, a black bin-liner and a dead Tory MP. :Eeek:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Norrie
We have a trailer we know that is legal re towing, I did witness a MH towing on A frame over turn the car on a roundabout in Narbonne had to leave it and fly back to pick up when fixed a very expensive mishap. Pete :Doh::Doh::Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Heheh.
I think I'll just try it and see. I'm a born optimist.
The A frame sounds like a good idea - apart from reminding me of an unfortunate incident reported many years ago involving an apple, a black bin-liner and a dead Tory MP. :Eeek:

are you the only driver ?

i'v heard the local plod make you unhitch and drive the toad seperate from the motorhome.
a few k's further on just re-hitch it.

thats fine if, unlike me, there is another driver.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There are many MH tow with an A-fame all over Europe, including me. I have never been stopped but do know friends that have been told to remove the car and have wife follow with car, but not fined.

A strange lot the Spanish, why don't they stop sitting on the fence & say it is or is not legal & that they WILL stop anyone doing it? As least we would know where we stand.

We don't tow the car any longer in Spain as wife does not want to drive it on her own, take the bikes & keep fit ::bigsmile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have a friend who was pulled in Spain and had to detach car from m.h. luckily his wife drove,, he had in turn heard of some one in the same club having to do the same..

I have a 4 wheeled trailer,, some say 4 wheels a bit over the top for the size cars I carry,, but I look at it this way for the little extra cost, if you have a puncture you are less likely to turn the car and trailer over.

I have a tow bar on both cars that are likey to be on the trailer which is ideal for moving trailer around on site.

Just my opinions.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
MOTORING IN SPAIN
The following is a summary of Spanish traffic regulations intended as guidance only. Clarification, confirmation and further information on these or any other aspects of traffic laws must be sought from the Spanish traffic authorities at the address below.

Subdirección General de Normativa
General Aranaz 86
28027 Madrid
Tel:(0034 91) 301 8411/8413
Fax.(0034 91) 301 8196

TOWING.- Under the Spanish Highway code, the towing of motor vehicles is not permitted.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have a 4 wheeled trailer,, some say 4 wheels a bit over the top for the size cars I carry,, but I look at it this way for the little extra cost, if you have a puncture you are less likely to turn the car and trailer over.

I have a tow bar on both cars that are likey to be on the trailer which is ideal for moving trailer around on site.

Just my opinions.

Had two punctures on my two car trailer over the last 3 years, one totalled the rim as well before I noticed, neither came anywhere near turning the trailer over.

Olley

OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
MOTORING IN SPAIN
TOWING.- Under the Spanish Highway code, the towing of motor vehicles is not permitted.

Damnation, this A frame stuff is beginning to look a little less attractive than a wee trailer and a wee car.
I'd favoured the A frame route to save train-weight but, since Spain is high on the visit list, we may have to look into wee trailers instead.
Or should I just risk getting stopped and asking SWMBO to drive one?
Any small trailer knowledge out there?

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
I have been towing a toad in Spain and Portugal for the past three years. If and when I am stopped and told to unhitch I will do so and get the wife to drive. My brother in law spends six months of the year touring Spain with his toad and has never been stopped.
I think a lot of these tales are fairy tales by people who have never taken an A frame to europe. Saying that it is always wise to err on the side of caution and have a co driver. If and when you are stopped by the police and fined get a receipt and send it to you local MEP who will get the fine re-imbursed.

Ian

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
We have no experience of Spain, but we were stopped in Bulgaria towing with an A-frame.
After failing to explain how it was steered, we unhitched and my wife drove the car a few miles. They would have been quite happy to leave it hitched if one of us was prepared to sit in it and steer. We traveled around Bulgaria fairly extensively and were only stopped once. No problems in France, Italy, Greece, Romania, Hungary, Austria or Germany.

So for Bulgaria, a realistic blow up driver may work ::bigsmile:

Rog

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have no experience of Spain, but we were stopped in Bulgaria towing with an A-frame.
After failing to explain how it was steered, we unhitched and my wife drove the car a few miles. They would have been quite happy to leave it hitched if one of us was prepared to sit in it and steer. We traveled around Bulgaria fairly extensively and were only stopped once. No problems in France, Italy, Greece, Romania, Hungary, Austria or Germany.

So for Bulgaria, a realistic blow up driver may work ::bigsmile:

Rog
sounds a good option to me ::bigsmile:

they really didnt understand the principle did they !!!

we all know its not possible to physicaly steer a toad being towed on an A frame.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
they really didnt understand the principle did they !!!

Too right they didn't!
I suspect strongly that they were waiting for a bribe, but instead I began to explain the caster action of the wheels. They were quite keen to get rid of me after a while.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back