Thinking of Italy advice needed (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi All
We are thinking of going to the lake garda area in july next year and have a few questions for you.

1 Can you recommend a site on lake that takes dogs have seen some that are wanting 9 euro a day for dog not willing to pay this.

2 Which way would you go from Zeeburgge have loads of time as we will have about 25 days so 3 days down and 3 or 4 back is no problem.

3 is there a vet near zeeburgge anyone has used

4 Does italy have aires the same as france or a something the same as france passion and the same question for any of the countries on your recommended route.

Sorry if thats a bit much but look forward to your answers.

Cheers Gerry

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Don't do it.

The lakes are chaotic in July.

To quote Mike & Terry Church in their book, The Traveler's Guide to European Camping: "Avoid [the lakes in] July and August at all costs, the crowds are just too large. September and early October are great. And the weather will probably be good."

We ignored their advice and paid the price - it was madness. Too good an area to experience under those conditions.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
we have been to lake Garda in july/August for the last 3 years running and had a fantastic time. do not understand the "don't do it" statement at all..........we cycled and went on boat trips, never long queue's. no problems tables in restaurants etc..... Did not feel overly busy anywhere, except trips to Venice and Verona and they where still enjoyable? we used the van and parked easily in most places except on market days. I really don't get this...... it is nothing like as busy as the Med

http://www.fornella.it/camping.c/p-6/English.htm

not sure re dogs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Thanks for the replys so far as for not doing july we dont have a choice due to school hols but im sure it will be fine.

Thanks for the link to the campsite it does look nice but i think 7 euro a night for a dog is a bit much but if thats the going rate might just have to pay it. Just seems a lot of money for a dog when he doesn't even get to use the swimming pools :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Judgemental which route did you take

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My favourite route to Italy is via: Calais/Belgium/Luxembourg/Metz/Strasbourg/Colmar/Basle/Gottard tunnel/Milan.....garda

Cheaper fuel in Luxembourg, motorway all the way, no tolls, except two minor ones near Strasbourg and in Italy. The municipal site at "Obernai" is a popular stop on this route. the Alsace is a nice area then a short hop into Switzerland (we spend time in Switzerland as well as we love it) and on to Garda. we use the motorways in Italy a lot cheaper then France. you will have to buy a vignette at border in Switzerland to use the motorway system.

forenella is the nicest site we have been to in over 20 years of doing this, and the only site we would consider visiting reapeatedly...It is not cheap! and you need to book now. It is normally full by December.

your dog will thank you for it...maybe he can use the lake!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks again judgemental will give that route a look thinking of going oneway and back another that way we get to see more.

Gerry

Apr 30, 2008
South Beds
Funster No
Exp
27yrs ish
Hi All
We are thinking of going to the lake garda area in july next year and have a few questions for you.

1 Can you recommend a site on lake that takes dogs have seen some that are wanting 9 euro a day for dog not willing to pay this.

2 Which way would you go from Zeeburgge have loads of time as we will have about 25 days so 3 days down and 3 or 4 back is no problem.

3 is there a vet near zeeburgge anyone has used

4 Does italy have aires the same as france or a something the same as france passion and the same question for any of the countries on your recommended route.

Sorry if thats a bit much but look forward to your answers.

Cheers Gerry
re item 4,
The Italian version of France Passion is 'Fattore Amico'
see www.fattoreamico.it It has an English section.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi All

Cheers Gerry

Lots of useful comments in the Italian Job 2010 thread here:

Link Removed

Also the chosen route here:

Link Removed

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Thanks for the link collie couldnt get it to work but found it via google.

Thanks also hilldweller i couldnt get the download to open will be something im doing wrong but i'll get it :ROFLMAO: i have been reading the threads on your planned trip and been in touch with camping butterfly as it looks like a nice site.

Cheers Gerry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks also hilldweller i couldnt get the download to open will be something im doing wrong but i'll get it :ROFLMAO: i have been reading the threads on your planned trip and been in touch with camping butterfly as it looks like a nice site.

Cheers Gerry

Forgive me if I state the obvious....

Download the .zip file.
Unzip this and it will create a file twice the size, different extension .axe
This can be read by Microsoft Autoroute 2007 and maybe others. You either double click it or if that fails open AR then go into files and open this .axe.

jonks

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Funster No
Exp
6mth
italy going back again

Too busy ! I don’t think so
Had dispute over swift Voyager and ended up having to take legal action and ended up going with car and tent instead, did ruin it, but place so good going back, with new Auto trail 700
Went last year Hull to Rotterdam and down through Germany Austria through Innsbruck and down to Garda. We had to use hotels and camp site but having seen the service stations in Germany That’s where we will be stopping next year they put us to shame again.!
Took 2yr old English spaniel and speedboat had such good time going back next year to fornella.
The only problem we encountered was trying to get the dog out of the water.
Used a vet in muchen on way back up so to be within 12 -24hrs rule try www.tierarzt-bogenhausen.de spoke first rate english and very friendly mailto:praxis@tierarzt-bogenhausen.de
Ps don’t forget your costumes the lake is so warm no wonder the dog wouldn't come out. Ferry’s go all around the lake and main supermarkets on main road towards site.

We stayed at camping http://www.europasilvella.com/servizi_lago.asp clean and nice restaurant but slip a bit tight for boat it takes dogs; pitches a bit cramped but had all services on pitch. If you end up at Fornella end July /start Aug watch out for our wet dog and pop in for a beer. stopped off to visit Hitlers egale's nest, well worth a visit fab! SO HOPE THIS HELPS GO FOR IT

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but having seen the service stations in Germany That’s where we will be stopping next year they put us to shame again.!

I don't recall warnings about crime in German service areas but there's no reason to suspect that they are dramatically better than France and Spain, so take care.

We returned via that route once, we saw rain like no rain before or since in Germany. So bad we parked our bike under a MWay bridge and watched the water rise on the road. No way could we see to move for ages.

Then being a Grade 1 Prat, I went and caught up with it in Holland.

Nice route.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Too busy ! I don’t think so
Had dispute over swift Voyager and ended up having to take legal action and ended up going with car and tent instead, did ruin it, but place so good going back, with new Auto trail 700
Went last year Hull to Rotterdam and down through Germany Austria through Innsbruck and down to Garda. We had to use hotels and camp site but having seen the service stations in Germany That’s where we will be stopping next year they put us to shame again.!
Took 2yr old English spaniel and speedboat had such good time going back next year to fornella.
The only problem we encountered was trying to get the dog out of the water.
Used a vet in muchen on way back up so to be within 12 -24hrs rule try www.tierarzt-bogenhausen.de spoke first rate english and very friendly mailto:praxis@tierarzt-bogenhausen.de
Ps don’t forget your costumes the lake is so warm no wonder the dog wouldn't come out. Ferry’s go all around the lake and main supermarkets on main road towards site.

We stayed at camping http://www.europasilvella.com/servizi_lago.asp clean and nice restaurant but slip a bit tight for boat it takes dogs; pitches a bit cramped but had all services on pitch. If you end up at Fornella end July /start Aug watch out for our wet dog and pop in for a beer. stopped off to visit Hitlers egale's nest, well worth a visit fab! SO HOPE THIS HELPS GO FOR IT

We LOVE Fornella have been for the last 3 years. Have you teenagers? as my 2 would probably know them (Amie and Ryan):winky:

we had an accident with our camper at the time about 5 years ago and had to car & tent it to south of France and lake Annecy...It was hard work! but at least we still got away.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks again everyone for your replys.

Brian you can never state the obvious to me when it comes to computers but i had tried what you say but it wont open i will try it at work incase its my laptop but thanks again.

jonks thanks for your reply is it better to go via rotterdam rather than zeeburgge i will check the route for mileage but just wondered if its a better drive we have loads of time to get there so a bit of sight seeing would be nnice to break up the drive. We will be catching ferry on the 16th of july we think or a week earlier so might be pop in for that beer.
Just another question is the public transport good in the area and sorry 1 last question did you visit Garda land and water park.

Merry Xmas
Gerry

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The Town of Salo, nearest large town that we regularly cycle to near camping Fornella. Its beautiful and not really busy except on market days

Attachments

• salo .jpg
    salo .jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 17
  • salo 2 .jpg
    salo 2 .jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
more pics::bigsmile: its the weather!

the pool (one of them) My family and our welsh friends. the boat dock with Iso la Bella in background (Island owned by family who own campsite) and the beach......

Attachments

• pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 31
  • pool .jpg
    pool .jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 31
  • boat dock .jpg
    boat dock .jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 35
  • beach .jpg
    beach .jpg
    84 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the pics looks nice and sunny and now really looking forward to going.

Gerry

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well...Have just booked Forenella for the 4th year on the trot (2 weeks in August) It is the only way we can have a "family" holiday as my teenagers wont go anywhere else! we have an overcab Euramobil if passing by say hello!::bigsmile:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They are *very* lucky - I think - I did not discover Italy 'till I was 50.

On the other hand, it's kept an olde farte very happy ever since.

Hi Brian,

That is what life's like though, my parents hardly travelled, we travel a lot more, and our kids will probably more still...Mind you It wont go on like this indefinitely.

may stop of in Lucern on the way down::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
may stop of in Lucern on the way down::bigsmile:

You will not be disappointed. It's worthy of a holiday destination in it's own right. Stunning in a very Swiss way.

Many years ago in our family Eurocamp days we did two Swiss holidays with one sight that we will take to our graves - Trummelbach Falls. Not done the Jungfrau railway yet.

One campsite we stayed on in Interlaken, the day before we arrived they had to hastily pull up a load of tents because the river into the lake was this >.< far from bursting it's banks and 30 years ago no-one screamed "Global Warming".

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
stayed at interlaken for 5 days on the way down last year (great cycling) and camping Lido in Lucern on the way back::bigsmile:

The river was a bit full on when we where there.......

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
stayed at interlaken for 5 days on the way down last year (great cycling) and camping Lido in Lucern on the way back::bigsmile:
The river was a bit full on when we where there.......

Oh, I'm preaching to the converted.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oh, I'm preaching to the converted.

We honeymooned on the Italian lakes::bigsmile: drove down in our new convertible (a Ford dont get carried away!lol) staying in top hotels. We did the three main Lakes, Bellagio, Lake Come. Stressa, Lake Maggiore. and Riva, Lake Garda.

a very memorable and probably our best holiday

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi You guys on here must be mind readers as at work today i was thinking of updating this post when i got home.

I have actually booked for camping san francesco on Lake Garda. We have booked the Hull to Rotterdam crossing no real reason apart from the fact we've never been to Holland before and planned heading down Germany and into Austria. One part of the plan has changed we now dont have loads of time on the way down but do have on the way home so any tips on the route or must see things feel free to let me know.

Gerry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the fact we've never been to Holland before
Gerry

If you get the chance try Valkenberg, next to Maastricht.

Charming tourist trap sporting the Netherlands' only hill. Folk go there for the Christmas market so there are campsites.

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
Lake Garda prices!!

Was looking going to lake garda this year and checked up on some prices!!!! from a couple of the recommended sites.
9 to 10 Euros each + 20 to 30 euros for the pitch and 5 euros for dogs / trailer's, shoe size colour of van etc.
for us with our 17 year old son we are looking at £40 a night!!!:Eeek:

2 years ago we did a week in venice without booking in advance for £130.:thumb:

any thoughts

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Mulaz
If your a member of caravan club have a look at their sites in Italy and get a joint price for ferry and site we did this and saved over £100 so worth a try.

Gerry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Was looking going to lake garda this year and checked up on some prices!!!!

We are going to pay €15 all in in May using ACSI.

But if you have to go at peak season they've got you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back