Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
I intend to buy my first MH later next year or early the following depending on finances.
Things I would need in a MH are
  • Low profile
  • Fixed bed
  • four berth
  • Diesel
  • Approximately £ 20000 max
  • Second hand of course for that money
  • Would like proper mattress if possible.
Ideas of what to start looking at please.

F

fjmike

Deleted User
Why bother waiting, just think of all the fun your missing out on. How about this one Link Removed

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
As motorhomes are so personal in choice, I would start looking now at as many different motorhomes as possible, that way you will get a feel for them, you will find that the motorhome for you will make itself known to you.

There are so many things to take into account wild camping, or sites, EHU or not, amount of storage required, eating in or out, number of beds to name but a few.

My perfect motorhome you would in all probability hate.

What I would suggest is start looking, your motorhome is there somewhere.

Best of luck in your search, if you can narrow it down to models then we can give an opinion, and be of help.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I agree with Desco - start looking!

If you have seen less than 50 different models/layouts when you choose then you may make a mistake.

But it is there somewhere

I took 3-4 years, but that is me

Good Luck!

Geoff

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User
[/FONT]
[/LIST]Ideas of what to start looking at please.

For that money you should get a tidy Auto Roller Granduca 255p . Year around 2003 or 2004. Excellent value van with similar spec you are looking for.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
You can try this site for some idea Link Removed you have to register to use the search but it is free. Although it shows newer vans than maybe are within your budget many of the models haven't changed that much.

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

As they have said it is a very personnel choice

A little bit like buying a house where you start looking at five bedrooms two acres and a swimming pool but settle for three bedrooms and a small garden but you learn to love it.

It is however a compromise

Look at plenty Cheers Alan

Upvote 0

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Originally we planned to get a home converted van to use with our racing then we decided to get a proper one so we can holiday in it as well, our budget was £20k.
We had a few hours at Brownhills in Newark and a few other places where you are left alone to look round the vans, we just looked and looked sat in some we felt comfy in, didnt even go in the door of some we didnt like. We found some were close to what we wanted but none were exactly right.
We then had a look round "Seventy Seven Motors" :thumb: again in Newark found one which was nearly perfect but engine size was not quite right. By now our budget had risen to £28k,
We then had a quick look at the Laika on display it was £35k but had the bigger engine we wanted, at first we nearly didnt even go in it because it had rear bunks which we did not think we wanted.
Once we got on board and sat for 30 seconds we both fell in love with it and that was that. More than we originally planned to pay but we are both very happy with it.
And to think at first we were looking at something much more compact.
The best thing to do is look round as many as you can, good luck! :Smile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John.I would recommend hiring one for a week/end/mid week? to see what you really want or need.:thumb:
LAYOUT is the most important bit that matters :thumb: Most l/p models come with a stupid front roof light that looks nice but does away with a very big storage space above the cab (even in a l/p ) If they dropped this back a couple of ft you would still have the very desirable light plus the storage,but this would mean extra cost to the manufacturers :ROFLMAO: hence making my own to the layout that we like/love that suits our preference at this time :thumb: Get out there and look ::bigsmile: at a lot :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: that blows your Low profile and fixed bed (unless you count bunks and luton ) bit straight out of the water :ROFLMAO:
terry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I intend to buy my first MH later next year or early the following depending on finances.
Things I would need in a MH are
  • Low profile
  • Fixed bed
  • four berth
  • Diesel
  • Approximately £ 20000 max
  • Second hand of course for that money
  • Would like proper mattress if possible.
Ideas of what to start looking at please.

If you plan to spend month's on end living in it then DON'T buy anything From the Swift Group, they are simply not up to that kind of use, but if you only want it for a few weeks holiday each year the it might be ok.

Doug...

Upvote 0

FisherFun

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Research..

Motorhome Magazine Monthly earlier this year had a very useful listing of what different 2ndhand vans have in them (spread over 2 issues) which we used to narrow down to about 15 possibilities. We then went to the show in Peterborough already having researched what would be there - we saw about 6 of our list and brochures of some others. (However seeing some makes you think 'oh, I don't like that' which lets you cross some more off). A little more research & looking, and a month later we bought the first van we went into at the show! (We even looked at a 'new' but sitting on forecourt van but decided the 2nd hand one was in better nick).

6 months on we are very happy with our choice, have been away in it 6 times and are looking forward to our Christmas/New Year trip. We hadn't intended to buy until end of the season! but we saw the van we wanted.

So there are ways of narrowing down your search and then seeing loads in one go which we found really helped.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
If you plan to spend month's on end living in it then DON'T buy anything From the Swift Group, they are simply not up to that kind of use, but if you only want it for a few weeks holiday each year the it might be ok.

Doug...
Thanks for that advise Doug we hope to spend month's on end in her and I do like the look of the Bessacarr motorhome so tell me please why you think its not up to it

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As a lot of people have said do your research and have a good look round check out a few dealerships speaking of which Brownhills don't have the best of reputations and I'll say no more on that

As for fulltiming in a Swift we have done that in a "SWIFT" well it's an Autocruise Startrail and yes it was OK Doug

By all means list what you require Budget..Layout..Make and Model etc..read the publications MMM magazine..Practical Motorhome there are lots out there read em and read em and read em some more..Good luck on your search we are unfortunately having to sell our van as we are emigrating to Tenerife ..but the Motorhoming was fabulous very entertaining Happy Trails mucker!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back