Got me old Lathe back. (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys got my old lathe back yesterday, ::bigsmile: spent the day in the workshop playing with it. (sad I know) Its fairly old but does have a screw cutting gear box which is nice, but no metric leadscrew so its imperial only. A similar size to a myford 7

My uncle gave it to me 35 years ago, it then went to my dad, back to uncle, and now back to me, so it gets around. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Attachments

• DSCN9047.jpg
    DSCN9047.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 67

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I'm jealous, I have a pillar drill, air compressor, MiG welder, gas bottles, stick welder, Hydraulic press, nodding donkey saw, bench grinder but never had a lathe.

Shame about, no metric lead screw, you could have turned out a couple of Euro gas adapters without the non return valve, I would give you £20 for one.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
That is the thing I miss most with fulltiming - my Myford Super 7:cry:
Still, didn't sell it; lent it to brother-in-law so we will be re-united one day:winky:
Have fun
Patrick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi guys got my old lathe back yesterday, ::bigsmile:
Olley

Spooky.

Yesterday I was helping my son in law rebuild his old lathe that he'd dug out of the back of the shed. Myford 7. I put an inverter on it for him so it's fully variable speed now.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi doug, the euronozzel for some reason isn't metric it uses a 14tpi thread, exactly the same as 1/2 BSP, just a slightly larger dia. So no problem. ::bigsmile:

But no, I am not going into production.

Olley

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Brian, a ML7, that brings back memories of school, we had two of them in the metalworking workshop. Variable speed sounds good, mines got 8 normal plus 8 more on the back gearing.

Loads of extras available for ML7 on ebay.

Olley

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Spooky.

Yesterday I was helping my son in law rebuild his old lathe that he'd dug out of the back of the shed. Myford 7. I put an inverter on it for him so it's fully variable speed now.

You mean so you can run it in the Motorhome on long weekends:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Olley
Ive followed many many of your projects with interest ans half way through reading them I have always said "thank god he ain't got a lathe":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Stand by World
Olleys got a lathe:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
The Solar powered Flux Capacitor is only a week away

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Geo I am offering shares in the flux capacitor, interested? only £100 each, ::bigsmile:

Just been on ebay and ordered ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................a 6" engineers rule, and a small boring tool, please no dirty jokes, just a roll of drums please.

I think the last time I had a 6" rule was at the end of my apprenticeship, not much use on a 500ton ship to shore crane. :Sad:

The truth is Geo, and don't tell anybody, but; I don't intend to use it, just going to slip the rule in my top pocket and stand next to the lathe, hand on the headstock, pipe in my mouth, posing.

Can't wait until the grandson is older, then I can regale him with exciting stories of parting of tools, fixed and travelling steadies, four jaw chucks, screw cutting gearboxes, tallow, got to have tallow, none of that new fangled grease for me, tallow was good enough for my dad, and its good enough for me.

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
£100
Do you know Olley Im sorley tempted to take a punt:winky:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Go for it Geo you know I will spend it wisely,............................down Tesco's :ROFLMAO:

Olley

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I bought a poor relation of the Myford a couple of years back - a Boxford.
Have been adding tools and things like interchangeable tool holders since I got it.
Added a new motor and controller with infinitely variable speeds
Almost as time and money consuming as a motorhome!

It is useful, for example, when the shower doors fall off and supplier does that teeth sucking thing of - 'they don't make that model now so no chance of spare door wheels'.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I bought a poor relation of the Myford a couple of years back - a Boxford.
Have been adding tools and things like interchangeable tool holders since I got it.
Added a new motor and controller with infinitely variable speeds
Almost as time and money consuming as a motorhome!

It is useful, for example, when the shower doors fall off and supplier does that teeth sucking thing of - 'they don't make that model now so no chance of spare door wheels'.

Hi the wallace, that's the best part buying toyz for it. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You dont realise just how many friends you have till you geta lathe::bigsmile:
One of lifes little mysteries.
Without a lathe how did they make the first one:whatthe:
and if they could, why make one:Doh:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
So Olley's old lathe "gets around".

I thought that was the whole idea.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Do let me know what "toys" you may need for it Olley as I have a cupboard full. I have always as you know had a workshop, my current lathe is a Colchester Bantam, I also have a very interesting old vertical milling machine, an Elliot Trident. Seen here milling some change gears for another lathe.
wildman3655536.jpg

wildman3655537.jpg

now just need to get my tool and cutter grinder (Jones and Shipman 610) running. Only motor needing alignment.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi roger, made just up the road from me in colchester :Smile: You have one helluva workshop! Only ever used a mill at college, funnily enough I was thinking about the index head the other day, and tying to remember how you worked out what hole plate to use? But it's too long ago. :Doh:

If its not being to nosey, why have you got so much gear? And how come it all looks so tidy? My workshop is a mess.

Just ordered a HSS 6mm boring and threading set (3 bars) off Chronos on ebay for £17.00, as for what else, a few small general lathe tools, already have a pile, but most are a bit knackered, I also need to buy a new wheel for the grinder, plus a diamond one, but that will wait until the new year.

More toyz more toyz. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Before I moved to Devon I had a workshop and carried out marine repairs/conversions. I have always made/repaired my own bits and bobs, after the move here I missed the facility and built another workshop, the smallholding has a number of gates made/repaired by me along with a built from scratch cattle crush, I have also made a lot of gate hinges and catches. Of my old vehicles I have made many body panels and special bits. I have also made most of my own tools, boring head, right angle drive for the mill, Dividing head rotary table etc before finding commercial replacements. A folding machine and set of rollers, all made for particular jobs. I produce nothing commercially and very little for other people though I do tend to buy restore and sell old machine tools. Making all the parts myself. I have just completed a small foundry so will be experimenting with a few castings shortly, thought the main use will be to turn many small bits of brass or ali in larger lumps for particular jobs. hopefully will also be able to cope with small cast iron jobbies as well so then I may get on and build the steam traction engine that I have had the plans for for ages. I also have a full compliment of woodwork machinery. So a little cabinet making or even making a new stable door (done this year) Is a straight forward job. Yes I could go out and buy off the shelf but no fun in that is there. I enjoy tinkering, the whole workshop is powered by one of two generators, either a twin cyl Lister 6.5KVA or a Siddley Armstrong twin cyl 7.5 KVA, as I get older swinging the handle in the winter is becoming a chore and maybe time to think of adding real electric but at £7000 for a connection it will have to wait.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have a cnc mini mill (converted Sieg) a Boxford mini cnc lathe and a Chester Model b Super (combined mill and lathe) although I only use the lathe part. Just make bits and peices for the race bike and a bit of work for other races when needed other than that hey are just toys that I can sometimes spend happy hours on. Also got a mig and a TIG and variuos compressors and ba bandsaw and a pillar drill or two and a Dynojet Dyno and so the list goes on....a man needs toys and can never have enough...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back