Free Member
Sep 27, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 Years
We are considering travelling down through Spain to Portugal in the New Year.:Smile: Please can anyone suggest good sites etc in Portugal as we havent been that far in the motorhome before. Thanks
Pauline:Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, We have not been there either ::bigsmile: Nearly went last January but stayed in France. Will be going late August 2010 though and in Summer there should be no difficulty finding stopovers which I believe is the problem wintertime for those not in The Know. :winky:
Now I have 'bumped' this I am sure those very experienced folk will give their advise but also try doing a search on here, as often no question is new, and most answers will still be relevant. All information is pretty much history anyway! :roflmto:
Happy travels, Jane:Smile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We are considering travelling down through Spain to Portugal in the New Year.:Smile: Please can anyone suggest good sites etc in Portugal as we havent been that far in the motorhome before. Thanks

Ria Formosa, Cabanas, close to Tavira.

New site in 2008 it's all level hard standing. Train along the Algarve close by, or Tavira by bike.

Spent a month there last winter & thought it was great.:thumb:

We may finish up there early next year after Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

fedupwithsystem

Free Member
Oct 22, 2009
Funster No
Tavira is a good start to your holiday, The beast way to see the Algarve is to get off the m/way and get on the en 125. One of the first good campsites is on the way to Tavira its called Cabanas or you can park in Tavira free . you will also find that if you want to find any rations it is cheaper to shop this side of Faro the further west you go the more the food seems to cost.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Campsites in Portugal

Look here for details of lots of the campsites in Portugal

http://www.orbitur.pt/index.php?idioma=GB

If you send 10 Euros ( I sent a €10 note ) to Roteiro Campista asking for their campsite book they send it by return of post along with a very good map of portugal and the location of every campsite. The 370 page campsite guide book contains details of all the campsites.

Link Removed

Phil.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
I would suggest Acsi for Portugal in january and stay at the Orbital campsites.If you are driving from the north it is not sensible to drive the Algarve in one go and you will miss the best parts.Also be aware the weather can be a bit windy and chilly in January . I thought the site at Odivelus was excellant but then i like it rural and like my carp fishing
Wanderer

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No

The first time i went to Portugal i couldnt find the planned site so i asked a local polceman where he nearest site was, his answer after looking at the van was, "Campsite ? is that what you really want " spreading his arms around at the coastline.

There are plenty of sites open all year, some reasonable some very poor but cheap and some very expensive for what they are.
You will find wild camping the norm all over Portugal except in a few places like Lagos where you have to go on a campsite.

We have just returned after our 6th trip to Portugal, we spent 9 weeks away and only 5 days on camp sites.

What part of Portugal do you intend going to ? do you prefer a site or wildcamping ?

RD

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ria Formosa (Cabanas, Nr Tavira) (mentioned by Keith above) has a promotion on at the moment... depending on the length of your outfit it goes from €251.25 (plus 5% tax) up to €350 (plus tax) for a month.

I prefer to spend such money on other things rather than parking!!!

JJ

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi MoPauline,

I'm doing the same trip going on the 9th, dover Calais, then down to the Algarve, for a few weeks. I'll be avoid tolls and ahve booked capsites for the Spain / Portugal bit but will use the aires for the first few days.

First bookeked stop is Camping Beausoleil on the 12th for 2 nights.

G & A

Dec 6, 2008
Lisbon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Our first time in Portugal in March this year, booked our Eurotunnel crossing for Feb & intend to head straight down to Portugal as we enjoyed it so much. Usually don't bother with campsites as we travel about a lot but this year we are hoping to stay a bit longer in some of the places so we might stop on a few campsites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back