Electric Bicycle any thoughts?? (2 Viewers)

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
Was toying with the idea of a motorbike but because of the overhang on our van it's a no no.
Dont want a trailer as it slows you down while travelling in europe

So i started looking at quality lightweight electric bicycles

was looking at some of the kits to fit on a road / mountain bike

any thoughts or advice :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
any thoughts or advice :Smile:

Yes - do it. We have same weight problem.

Not as good as a motorbike for distance but great fun in town and along the promenade

Some very silly prices out there. There was an awesome one on the Gadget Show but at an awesome price.

Must be Lithium now. Aluminium frame.

Apart from that it's your choice. No reason why not to convert a standard bike if you have them, I guess.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Quality and lightweight eh! The cheapest electric bikes are the Powacycle range, most people go for the Salisbury or Windsor and both come in at around £699 or more (Makro have a special on the Salisbury on at the moment for £399) These bikes are the lowest powered bikes on the market and are very, very slow but good for about 25 miles using the LPX battery, they weigh about 22kgs and are OK for the flat or very small inclines.

After that, the skies the limit... You can spend upwards of 3k:Eeek:

I bought a Currie Drive and fitted it to my 28" wheel, 21 speed road bike and the power it delivers is superb, a bit noisy and very heavy with the SLA batteries (30kgs) and it motors up the steepest of hills but the wife doesn't like it and can't keep up...

I quite fancy the latest 1000w hub drives from China complete with LPX they must go like stink::bigsmile:

There is a Pedelec forum for further info and the rest can be googled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

We have an Izip mountain bike each, not been out in the van with them yet but we have certainly been to places over the moor at home where we could not go without battery help.

They have 24volt lead acid batteries which are quite heavy, but be careful if you buy the lithiom type batteries, especially on a secondhand bike as replacements seem to run around £300.00 a time.

The Izips, as most things, are made, less than perfect, in China and we have had one or two poor electrical connection problems.

STILL BEATS LEG POWER ALONE ON THE INCLINES

Cheers Alan

bauldy

Free Member
May 13, 2009
bedworth
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 years
On my second electric bike.
First one was second hand to see if it suited me, then i bought a new one at stratford show, Byocycle 250w brushless motor 36v 10ah lithium battery, price £495 i have had it since June and use it every day for work 8 mile round trip. I have also used it whilst away in the Motorhome I have had no problems but as mention before the batteries can be expensive.

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
Go for them. We have two and they are brilliant. I often tow a dog trailer behind mine and still pass other cyclists going up hill.
The best place to look for info and ask questions about the different bikes is the forum on www.pedelecs.co.uk Really friendly and helpful bods who know all there is to know about electric bikes. They were so helpful in assisting me when I was looking to buy. They don't consider any questions too daft and some even offered to let me try out their bikes.
Cheers

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you are like me and need the exercise then stick to pedal power, but be aware, if the mounting of the bicycle rack is not done correctly the weight of two bike can pull holes through the back of you van. It happen to me.

Doug...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I quite fancy the latest 1000w hub drives from China complete with LPX they must go like stink::bigsmile:.

I'm sure you know, but I'll say it in case anyone else does not, that would be a motorbike so you have the possibility of being done for no tax, no insurance, possibly no licence which would seriously ruin your day.

I believe 200W is the UK limit. It's not much ( half horsepower ) but much better than nothing.

I've no idea of what EU law says.

bauldy

Free Member
May 13, 2009
bedworth
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 years
I'm sure you know, but I'll say it in case anyone else does not, that would be a motorbike so you have the possibility of being done for no tax, no insurance, possibly no licence which would seriously ruin your day.

I believe 200W is the UK limit. It's not much ( half horsepower ) but much better than nothing.

I've no idea of what EU law says.

I thought the bike had to be restricted to 15mph, be hoped i dont get stopped.
I had my speed checked by a bored traffic cop 5am one morning going to work... he laughed said i was doing 7 mph going up a slight hill.:Smile:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
You are both correct, 200w max and 15mph and it it would take a very bored bobby to either stop you or know the law.

OP
OP
mulaz

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
what about the kits with a boost button for off road use?
some kits on ebay are 1500w
do you think you could get away with one off these.:whatthe:

also would a geared drive be better than a hub drive , i think it would and also give a greater range of torque for hill etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
what about the kits with a boost button for off road use?
some kits on ebay are 1500w
do you think you could get away with one off these.:whatthe:

also would a geared drive be better than a hub drive , i think it would and also give a greater range of torque for hill etc.

I've no idea, depends if it's a slow crime day I guess.

Geared would get you up hills better but you'd need variable gearing or else you'd lose out on the flat.

Remember an electric motor makes maximum torque at minimum speed, revving them harder is just the opposite effect to an IC engine.

There's a bloke in London will sell you a 60kW kit - he won the TT with it this year ::bigsmile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I thought the bike had to be restricted to 15mph, be hoped i dont get stopped.
I had my speed checked by a bored traffic cop 5am one morning going to work... he laughed said i was doing 7 mph going up a slight hill.:Smile:

:roflmto: We have done 35mph on our Mountain Bikes. Coming down a Mountain of course. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:Cool: BTW. You DO NOT get much excercise on an electric bike. :roflmto:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have to be in top gear to keep up with my Curry Drive when it's running flat out. The other day I was thundering up our local hill from hell and positively blitzed past two road racers dressed in Lycra and all the gear - I was wearing jeans and a bobble hat.... It took them both another two miles to catch up and overtake; I don't think they were that impressed ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
mulaz

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
very good but what do you think about Link Removed or the ebay version

Link Removed

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/

Link Removed

pedelec E Bike forum is a good place to start. We have a pair of wisper bikes, expensive, powerful, reliable with excellent customer support and most importantly great fun! I cycle most days and its a liberating experience, not being held up in south London traffic, free parking etc..... When away In France, Italy and Switzerland last year they really made the holiday

there are decent budget bikes from the likes of Alien, mistrial synergy, Powabyke, Rush Trek and others........ ask for an opinion before buying and save a whole lot of grief as there is some real rubbish about:Smile:

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
My mate has 2 Giant electric bikes for sale. Cost £1000.00 each this summer. He didnt get on with them due to his bad back. I think he wants £500.00 each or perhaps a offer for both. Anyone interested I will get details for you. He is based in Deal, Kent.

ken

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Try it up hill!!!

They all kind of O.K. on the flat which is easy cycling anyway. Most are very poor up hill where you need it.The extra weight makes aided cycling up hill harder.
Try one with not a fully charged battery uphill before you buy.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They all kind of O.K. on the flat which is easy cycling anyway. Most are very poor up hill where you need it.The extra weight makes aided cycling up hill harder.
Try one with not a fully charged battery uphill before you buy.

you would be stupid not to try first, or to go out without a charged battery, run out of fuel in a car and try pushing that home...... and lots are fine on hills thats the whole point of them. They flatten out those hills and make cycling enjoyable and not a chore unless super fit. Your generalisation is unfair, yes some are better then others, thats why it is important to do the homework before committing.

have you tried the likes of Ezee/wisper/kalkhoff? the last with panasonic system probably the best hill/mountain climbers around...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlubWB5jZ4E[/ame]

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
and a wisper hill climbing::bigsmile:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW4RzPeoLxI[/ame]

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, I thought about it, but Jane says I need the exercise.....:Smile:.....she also said what ever it weighs I have to loose that weight before I can have one................. :Doh: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But there is one about to end on Ebay. :winky::Smile: Bob.

Link Removed

Sorry should have put this one first, same seller:

Link Removed

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I can dig out the statistics if really necessary . But you are much more likely to get fit/loose weight on an E bike than a normal bike. simply because they are more encouraging to use and not as hard work, so you use it more...........you are still peddling, getting aerobic exercise for your heart, lungs and muscles.

heed my warning re old eb*y e bikes, the batteries are probably knackered and will probably cost twice what you pay for the bike...if you can still get them that is!

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
::bigsmile: Jane's very encouraging, I feel like a horse in front of a cart...........:winky: when she cracks the whip.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Just to add to the comments of Judgemental i bought 2 E-motion pedelecs in August these have proven to be superb ..... fun and easy to ride , exercising yourself and exploring at the same time, so good and versatile the car is now used once a fortnight motorbikes the same the electric bikes are in constant use . In reply to the claims that they are no good climbing ....rubbish this is when they are at there most effective . In summary A BLOODY FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE Al

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just to add to the comments of Judgemental i bought 2 E-motion pedelecs in August these have proven to be superb ..... fun and easy to ride , exercising yourself and exploring at the same time, so good and versatile the car is now used once a fortnight motorbikes the same the electric bikes are in constant use . In reply to the claims that they are no good climbing ....rubbish this is when they are at there most effective . In summary A BLOODY FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE Al

excellent choice! very good bikes, probably my favourite Panasonic style bike.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back