Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Well the time is drawing closer and I am wanting to be prepared with everything in hand, I wonder if anyone can help me with the lubricant that is used on the fifth wheel plate please, I also understand that there is a pad that can be used that is a type of silicone, Can anyone advise please ?.
:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If you are going to use a silicone pad, you do not put any grease on the plate whatsoever, a bit if needed on the kingpin. The silicone plate does the job that you would put grease on for so it is a cleaner system.Most dealers, spares outlets for rvs/5vers stock them and they are not dear. the silicone plate is pre cut and shaped and you just push it up over the kingpin and tap lightly into place - job done

maggie

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Personally I do not like the silicone discs - you have to spend time lining up the hitch too much for my liking to avoid catching the disc, if you have a good 5th wheel grease you can line up the king pin and provided the ramps are touching you can reverse straight under and it will couple easily without worrying too much about getting the height right - go to any good transport place and you can but a 1 litre pot of special grease or use any good EP2 grease and before hitching make sure there is no bits stuck on but generally any debris will be pushed off as the two slide together.

Very much personal choice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Personally I do not like the silicone discs - you have to spend time lining up the hitch too much for my liking to avoid catching the disc, if you have a good 5th wheel grease you can line up the king pin and provided the ramps are touching you can reverse straight under and it will couple easily without worrying too much about getting the height right - go to any good transport place and you can but a 1 litre pot of special grease or use any good EP2 grease and before hitching make sure there is no bits stuck on but generally any debris will be pushed off as the two slide together.

Very much personal choice

My lube plate fits around the kingpin tight does not hang down takes just a long to couple and uncouple the 5ver as it does with grease on unless the plate is not fitted right:Doh:

The best bit is no dirty grease in your truck bed:thumb:

Bougfht my lube plate of ebay :thumb:

;;
;
;

agilityeye

Free Member
Dec 8, 2009
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
My lube plate fits around the kingpin tight does not hang down takes just a long to couple and uncouple the 5ver as it does with grease on unless the plate is not fitted right:Doh:

The best bit is no dirty grease in your truck bed:thumb:

Bougfht my lube plate of ebay :thumb:

;;
;
;
got to agree best thing i ever bought :thumb: got ours when we were on holiday in the states.
it fits tight on the kingpin and it hitches up just as easy as it was on grease::bigsmile:
Ian

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Well the time is drawing closer and I am wanting to be prepared with everything in hand, I wonder if anyone can help me with the lubricant that is used on the fifth wheel plate please, I also understand that there is a pad that can be used that is a type of silicone, Can anyone advise please ?.
:thumb:

Alex at Calder supplied & fitted one when we collected our Kountrylite.All part of their excellent service.
First Class piece of kit.Much better than all that grease in my opinion.No problem with it when hitching up.

Regards - Chas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
I have used silicone plate since I got the 5'er, simple to fit, no problem in use.........job done ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back